PDA

View Full Version : Formatting

quickandslick@gmail.com
01-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Hey guys I have an asus g71g and I want to put a fresh windows 7 on it. When I get to the installation section I notice that there is lots of partitions like: disc 0 partition 1, disc 0 partition 2 DATA, disc 1 partition 2 etc... This laptop had a previous user and I do not know if its safe to delete these or whats what. I do not have the discs that came with the laptop so I do not want to screw something up. My previous laptops only had one partition I could just delete. Quite simply can I delete all the partitions without worries? Help is greatly appreciated thanks!

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Is there anything on the computer that you want to preserve? Any important data?

If so, the safest bet is to select the partition that contains the current operating system, often desginated by a volume label like "OS" or "Windows," as the target for your Windows installation.

If you want to save nothing on that hard drive, and want to install Windows to the entire disk, use the tools in "Drive Options (Advanced)" to select each partition on that disk (the one with the current OS partition), and delete them one at a time. You can identify all the partitions on that disk by their shared disk number. When the whole disk is "Unallocated Space," select that as the target for your Windows installation.

You can use a similar procedure to delete some, but not all, of the partitions on that disk, as long as all deleted partitions are contiguous. (This is what one might do if, for example, they wanted to save a hidden recovery partition but use the rest of the disk for Windows. The recovery partition, if you want to save it, will appear as a 25Gb partition right before the OS partition.)

In all cases, you don't do anything with the other disk at this point. You can re-partition or format or whatever you want to do with that disk after Windows is installed.

quickandslick@gmail.com
01-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Thank you for the quick reply. So if I want to delete the other partitions at a later date how do I do this? Do i reboot from CD again and just delete them at the screen we are currently talking?

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Thank you for the quick reply. So if I want to delete the other partitions at a later date how do I do this? Do i reboot from CD again and just delete them at the screen we are currently talking?

After Windows is installed, you can change all the other partitions from within Windows.....no need to go back to the Windows Setup CD.

Just open the DIsk Management utility (START -> search "diskmgmt.msc"). You can delete existing partitions (except the OS partition, obviously) and re-partition the way you want.