PDA

View Full Version : G752VSK Freezes for no reason - HELP

CelticDiablo
03-22-2018, 06:49 PM
So I have been dealing with this issue for some time now. I have researched this problem to the ends of the internet without much luck. I am hoping someone here might have a suggestion. I have all the updated drivers/bios etc for this computer.

Here is my problem: At random points during normal usage the laptop will literally just freeze. Screen does not flicker, mouse stops responding, keyboard stops responding, you just see a frozen image. The only thing I can do is for the computer to shutdown by holding the power button and rebooting. There are no error or critical messages in the event viewer that might help diagnose this problem. It has nothing to do with a certain program or game running. This has occurred simply viewing web pages or editing a doc file or clicking through Windows file system. I am so frustrated.

Any ideas??

TIA.

Vlada011
03-22-2018, 07:10 PM
Once in life I had freezing problem. I still had stress and frustration from that.
That's worse problem for resolving. In my case culprit was Chipset on GIGABYTE AMD board.

You can start from checking memory on Errors, its' problem because computer usually freeze before any test could say what happen.
If we talk about laptop I would give people in service to deal with that.
I know my problem was hardware related because he freez and during my checking in BIOS and what happen.

You should try in Safe Mode as well and reinstall OS if computer not freeze in mean time in the middle of installation OS.

Clintlgm
03-22-2018, 09:32 PM
well, driver conflict can cause this, also a bad RAM stick, Testing RAM takes a bit of time. Since you'll need to run each stick about 12 hours or more. But I would start Download Memtest and start it running on all your RAM overnight and see if you pick up any errors. if you don't let it run another12 hour or so if you get no errors in 24 Run your RAM is probably OK. If you do get an error then the game is on to locate which stick or which slot as it could be either. There is the tutorial all over the internet on how to trace out which if you cant locate and solve the issue in a day or two. hopefully, that is not the problem.

I would start with updateing your hardware drivers using the available ones on Asus Support Download (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1). Give that a few days to see if it is a driver conflict. Windows update installs Native windows drivers and sometimes that cause issues.

CelticDiablo
03-23-2018, 12:46 PM
I can slowly go through and make sure drivers match the ROG support site, but I did try and do the memory test overnight. When I did the regular Windows one, it came back fine. I did the Memtest64 and watched it for the first 10-15 mins with no issue. However, when I woke in the morning to see the results, the computer had froze sometime during the testing. I am not sure if this means, its a bad RAM stick. I was thinking about trying to replace the RAM and seeing, but I am not sure how to actually replace the RAM on this machine. I can open the bottom and add 2 new sticks, but the onboard RAM must be underneath everything else. Is there a guide somewhere out there to accomplish this?

Thank you for the advice so far.

Clintlgm
03-23-2018, 01:16 PM
I can slowly go through and make sure drivers match the ROG support site, but I did try and do the memory test overnight. When I did the regular Windows one, it came back fine. I did the Memtest64 and watched it for the first 10-15 mins with no issue. However, when I woke in the morning to see the results, the computer had froze sometime during the testing. I am not sure if this means, its a bad RAM stick. I was thinking about trying to replace the RAM and seeing, but I am not sure how to actually replace the RAM on this machine. I can open the bottom and add 2 new sticks, but the onboard RAM must be underneath everything else. Is there a guide somewhere out there to accomplish this?

Thank you for the advice so far.

Yes, that's why I suggested memtest and run it in a pre-windows environment. that way if you have a failure you know it's not windows issue and is hardware. memtest66 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaHL9usaM4Q) for our notebooks to boot the memtest USB Thumb Drive. On start up spam the Esc key that will bring up a boot menu where you would select the USB to boot from. Pre windows environment doesn't care 64 bit or 86 bit in case your wondering.

What version of windows are you running this is the latest, you get this by typing "winver"72467

Sounds like you have two sticks of RAM inside your notebook and you can't get to them without dissembling and be voiding your warranty.

Another thing you can do to eliminate software conflicts is to open windows in safe mode and see if it still crashes then after time you sure it's not going to crash start adding programs back into the environment one at a time. Type in "msconfig" Select Diagnostic Startup

CelticDiablo
03-26-2018, 01:54 PM
I have the exact same version as you posted. I have also went back made sure all versions of drivers on the support site matched my system. Some were downgraded, so had been slightly updated. Since doing all this, I have yet to experience another freeze. I am hoping this continues. Thank you for the help.