PDA

View Full Version : GX501 cpu overheat issue

championtuck
04-02-2018, 12:58 PM
Well, as per title, GX501 having overheat issue

i live in singapore. the ambient temperature is pretty high like 28-32 degree Celsius.
my gaming temperature on high end games like tomb raider, batman arkham knight, need for speed payback are very high.
my cpu temp can go as high as 99 degree celcius.

went to asus repair center in singapore and what they did was clean the fan and repaste. the temp was not improving and feedback from asus was within specification.

my warranty is until oct 2018. hope it didnt go bad by then :(

ps: tried to undervolt cpu by 130mv... doesnt help at all

ROG_HARDCORE
04-02-2018, 01:13 PM
Wierd, I dont have issues. never reach 99C. GX501 is not a good robust gaming laptop. It simple can't.

I suggest turn on Eco mode in ROG Gaming center. for better temp. but GTX1060 level performance ( or worst )

My entire life of regret is buying GX501VI. 2699$ from US + TAX, end up buying a marketing gimmick. it just work, but not as advertised. Alot of issues as well.

championtuck
04-02-2018, 03:34 PM
well, the cpu temp is high... but is still working fine. but i doubt it can last long..

what is ur gaming temp?

ROG_HARDCORE
04-03-2018, 02:21 AM
Around 80+, maximum. Never reach 90+

thejebronie
04-04-2018, 06:06 AM
am in the same boat my cpu temp is going to 99 degress as well with game like battlefeild 1 , same for me I end up buying a marketing gimmick. it just work, but not as advertised. Alot of issues as well.
not even 3 mounth old and the battery only get charge to 30676 mWh at full charge and the f..ck an speaker to top it all up ....
i am trying to sell the laptop at a big loss and it wont even sell i am really piss off ....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ROG_HARDCORE
04-04-2018, 02:48 PM
I manage to overclock my Zephyrus to match the performance of ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING.
Which peak at 1936Mhz GPU Clock, and memory setting by default.
I keep my room temperature aT 22C. With thermal grizzly Conductnout (liquid metal) applied to the cpu and gpu on zephyrus as well.

Most of my AAA games at High settings manage to reach 340Fps+- , with maximum temperature at 72C. I see no problem with such high clock speed, but the power adapter is hot for sure. Keeping the room at 22C require some energy as well. Just for fun btw.

championtuck
04-04-2018, 06:02 PM
both of u mention about marketing gimmick... what does it mean?

haihane
04-04-2018, 06:17 PM
both of u mention about marketing gimmick... what does it mean?

when something is advertised and sold as something far better than it originally is,

making customers who eventually purchased it go: why did i buy into this advertising bull**** for this crap? i shouldda known betta.

TL;DR: a POS (piece of Shi-) marketed as POG (Piece of Gold)

thejebronie
04-05-2018, 11:46 AM
even they advertise that it should play with the pg348q (34" monitor) via the type c connector it does but the g sync as to be turn off on the laptop and the graphic setting as to be set at low
that is one more reason that i say marketing gimmick

and i wish i could repaste the laptop as well but i do travel a lot and liquid metal is not recommended if the laptop is carry in backpack

CoffeeAddictGuy
04-12-2018, 04:33 PM
I manage to overclock my Zephyrus to match the performance of ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING.
Which peak at 1936Mhz GPU Clock, and memory setting by default.
I keep my room temperature aT 22C. With thermal grizzly Conductnout (liquid metal) applied to the cpu and gpu on zephyrus as well.

Most of my AAA games at High settings manage to reach 340Fps+- , with maximum temperature at 72C. I see no problem with such high clock speed, but the power adapter is hot for sure. Keeping the room at 22C require some energy as well. Just for fun btw.

I have a question regarding the thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal you used sir, isn't it bad for aluminium heat sinks? Is the heat sink used in the gx501 not aluminium?
The reason I asked is because I'm planning to use liquid metal on my gx501 but I'm not sure for the life of me what kind of metal is used on the gx501 heatsink.

ROG_HARDCORE
04-15-2018, 04:47 PM
I have a question regarding the thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal you used sir, isn't it bad for aluminium heat sinks? Is the heat sink used in the gx501 not aluminium?
The reason I asked is because I'm planning to use liquid metal on my gx501 but I'm not sure for the life of me what kind of metal is used on the gx501 heatsink.

Being using for month now. Its copper btw, not aluminium. So far so good.
1. Just make sure seal the surrounding before using liquid metal.
2. Make sure handle liquid metal carefully as it may cause health issues if breath or get into your body.

championtuck
04-16-2018, 10:25 AM
well, just an update...
i realise if i play in aircon room at ambient temp around 24 degree, the max cpu temp is at 91.... still better than 99 lol... gg

championtuck
04-23-2018, 01:18 PM
guys, quick update... got myself grizzly conductonuat and re paste it...

temp has been great... mostly at 80+c degree during high end games and max at 88c.
idle temp at 50+ at ambient temp around 30+ degree in singapore... gg
strongly recommend to repaste using liquid metal compound if u facing high temp issue like me

Mechorpheus
05-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Something you guys should really try is CPU undervolting. For whatever reason these 7700HQ chips run at a stupid high voltage stock (I think this is an Intel problem rather than an Asus one since I've have similar problems with systems from HP etc). Use a program such as Throttlestop or Intel XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility) to do it. I get a stable -0.140 mv undervolt on mine (your milage may vary on this, as it'll be down to your specific chip yay silicone lottery), which is good enough to bring the peak gaming temps down to 85'c ish in full load games (Ghost Recon Wildlands, avg 80% utilisation + 75-80'c GPU).

ROG_HARDCORE
05-07-2018, 04:10 AM
Under clocking causes several issues when under load. Can causes program to crash such as Far cry 5. Even -50mV will causes crash.

Stock = stable

Korth
05-07-2018, 05:24 AM
30C ambient is warm enough to stress even high-end laptop coolers ... I think your best bet (now that it's been cleaned and repasted) is to force maximum airflow (ie: get a laptop cooling pad with strong fans), keep it away from heat sources (ie: your lap or a desk surface heated by the sun), avoid charging and discharging the battery at the same time (ie: running the machine on external AC power when the battery is low), etc.

SxpeitoDoCxtume
05-15-2018, 11:38 AM
I also have a GX501 and can also confirm what others are telling in this Topic.
Without undervolting my CPU was reaching 99 peaks really quick when playing PUBG.
I tried undervolting and the best I get is -115 mv, the temperatures got a little better but if I play longer I also reach the 97 peaks.
As I had sometimes 10 gaps between two different cores I assumed that it was due to a bad thermal paste job, so I oppened the laptop and disassembled the heatsink.
The Thermal paste was not good spread, and some points of the Die were shiny and without paste. After repasting I am staying mostly in the 91, sometimes it goes up to the 94.

I will consider if I apply liquid metal, but I must say I am a little affraid of doing that with the conductivity / spill issues that you may have.

ROG_HARDCORE
05-18-2018, 09:19 AM
After days on Liquid metal, im still getting 95C peak on assassin creed origin.

What the hell. If we turn on the eco mode, we can reduce the temperature. BUT THAT IS GTX1050 PERFORMANCE! Then why the hell we buy this GX501!?? Sad enthusiasts

SxpeitoDoCxtume
05-18-2018, 02:00 PM
I have an important question, maybe someone can help here.
On Championtuck's foto where he shows the GX501 opened you can see on the upper right corner of the motherboard some white tape.
Can anyone tell what is under there? Is that any connection for the display?

Thank you for your help!

ROG_HARDCORE
05-19-2018, 01:14 AM
I have an important question, maybe someone can help here.
On Championtuck's foto where he shows the GX501 opened you can see on the upper right corner of the motherboard some white tape.
Can anyone tell what is under there? Is that any connection for the display?

Thank you for your help!

Yes. That is rhe connection for display

mhe
06-11-2018, 09:12 AM
So I took the thing apart as I had to replace a buzzing broken GPU fan anyway, so I went ahead and cleaned all the cheap BS gunk Asus puts in there and had it replaced by Thermal Grizzly stuff. Kryonaut for memory, voltage regulators and small stuff, Conductonaut for GPU and CPU.

All throttling issues have been eliminated, GPU and CPU under simultaneous synthetic full load peak out close to the throttling point but not above it. In games, it is silent, fast and really enjoyable. Frankly, now it is how it should have been out of the box. But hey, you only have to spend a full afternoon on it, get approx 100 USD in tools and void your warranty to make this thing work properly. Thanks, Asus....

ryanhaver
11-15-2018, 07:26 PM
I realize this thread is old, but I have encountered similar results with the GX501GI (i7-8750H and GTX 1080 Max-Q). It will thermal throttle when browsing the internet. Under heavy load when gaming temps reach 97-99C on CPU and 87-89C on the GPU, this with overboost on so the fans are on full blast constantly. I am seeing those temps when gaming in ambient temps of 22-24C. I have seen a fairly constant average thermal throttle on the CPU of 25%, and at times as much as 46%, while the GPU doesn't seem to thermal throttle as much it will still throttle an average of 15% almost always.

I can be playing a game for 3 minutes and be getting ~125FPS, then it will thermal throttle hard and destory all performance and FPS will drop down to ~12FPS. This is a constant issues with no end in sight. The cooling solution they have implemented is clearly not sufficient under any significant load.

From what I can tell they are doing nothing, but releasing BIOS updates that make the thermal throttle even more aggressive on the CPU side. It doesn't help that Nvidia drivers have tanked performance for most of the Max-Q based cards as well...likely intentionally. I am not willing to tear this laptop open and apply quality thermal compound (liquid or otherwise), as this will not solve the underlying problem.

Returning for a refund is my recommendation if anyone just bought one of these, as this is what I am doing.

Pheebau
11-16-2018, 08:46 PM
I realize this thread is old, but I have encountered similar results with the GX501GI (i7-8750H and GTX 1080 Max-Q). It will thermal throttle when browsing the internet. Under heavy load when gaming temps reach 97-99C on CPU and 87-89C on the GPU, this with overboost on so the fans are on full blast constantly. I am seeing those temps when gaming in ambient temps of 22-24C. I have seen a fairly constant average thermal throttle on the CPU of 25%, and at times as much as 46%, while the GPU doesn't seem to thermal throttle as much it will still throttle an average of 15% almost always.

I can be playing a game for 3 minutes and be getting ~125FPS, then it will thermal throttle hard and destory all performance and FPS will drop down to ~12FPS. This is a constant issues with no end in sight. The cooling solution they have implemented is clearly not sufficient under any significant load.

From what I can tell they are doing nothing, but releasing BIOS updates that make the thermal throttle even more aggressive on the CPU side. It doesn't help that Nvidia drivers have tanked performance for most of the Max-Q based cards as well...likely intentionally. I am not willing to tear this laptop open and apply quality thermal compound (liquid or otherwise), as this will not solve the underlying problem.

Returning for a refund is my recommendation if anyone just bought one of these, as this is what I am doing.

I have the exact same laptop and I fixed the situation by undervolting the CPU which is easily done and tested with Intel XTU - Many people actually do this with all gaming laptop unless you repaste the CPU / GPU. I recommend to go step by step by decrements of -0.05v and run stress test benchmarks for stability. I was able to undervolt by -0.140v and reduce short turbo boost power max to 56.25w - my temps have roughly dropped by 10c and it rarely goes above 90c with Fans on Balanced. I have the same room temps as yours and my GPU rarely exceeds above 80c FYI. I did run benchmarks and the performance isn't affected at all. In fact, Intel's own benchmark classified the laptop and processor results in the 90% top performer.

I really like this laptop so I can put up with it and many other gaming laptops have this issue with this particular processor.

UPDATE: I have now undervolted the CPUto -0.160v using XTU and it is rock stable (ran many benchmarks. Rarely goes above 90c under very intense loads. I still have reduced short turbo boost power max to 56.25w

KRollMaastaa
11-22-2018, 11:05 AM
For all Zephyrus users - dont count on ASUS, they dissapointed me, they avoid all consequences.
I asked my layer, and we are going it to court. Why? Because ASUS says that everythign is cool, and INTEL (manufacturer) says that its NOT COOL. Simply they dont want to gimme cash back, so if I will won in court, road is open for all Zephyrus users to get ur cash back.
Look at screenshots:

FixGX501G
02-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Fact is that this innovative cooling solution by ASUS is just crap. More than enough verified in numerous reviews.

Before all jump on court and sue a $$$ company like ASUS with probably little chance of success, try this.

Select "balanced" profile in windows power management settings.

Select 99% for "max processor performance" in processor energy settings in windows advanced power settings. This prevents the processor from boosting.

Select "better performance" (middle of the slide bar) using power management trace icon (battery symbol).

Select "balanced" for fan overboost in ASUS gaming center bloatware.

Et voila! You're done. With this almost every game I play runs above 90 fps @ 60-70C for both graphics and processor.

No need to mess around with undervolting and push the hardware out of specs.

If you need more processor power. Turn back to 100% processor performance level. It will get +10C and become little louder, but will still not reach the >90C.

I'm quite OK with this workaround. Hope that helps others to get the beast tamed.