PDA

View Full Version : Drivers question

quickandslick@gmail.com
01-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering where I can get all the neccessary drivers for my asus G71G? I just did a complete format of the whole computer and I do not have the discs that came with the lapto to find which ones I need. Is there a site that has a link to every single one them that is important?

dstrakele
01-27-2012, 03:37 PM
http://support.asus.com/download/ModelList.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g71g&type=1 shows 3 G71G models. If you select your model and then select the OS it was shipped with (most likely Vista 32 or 64-bit), you will then see the drivers for the various devices on your laptop.

Unfortunately for you, the easiest way to determine what drivers you actually need is easiest when you have the ASUS Factory OS on the system and can determine the device manufacturer from Properties in Device Manager. The "General" page in properties will typically list the driver version and manufacturer. You can then visit the manufacturer's site and obtain the latest drivers BEFORE installing a clean version of Windows.

Now that you've already completed the clean install, Windows has likely installed Plug N Play drivers for your devices on your new install, so you may need to determine the hardware manufacturer from "Hardware Ids" in the "Details" tab of the device Properties in Device Manager.

If you have installed Windows 7, you may need to go to the manufacturer's web site to download the appropriate Windows 7 driver - only Vista drivers are available on the ASUS G71G model's page. Asus also installs different components to the same model number and may list drivers from more than one manufacturer for your system. Unless you know the specific devices that came with your system, you'll have to use Hardware Ids to identify the manufacturer.

If you want to install the most up-to-date drivers (and I suspect you would since you've gone to the trouble to reinstall Windows, you'll definitely want to visit the manufacturer's web sites for the devices installed on your system.

quickandslick@gmail.com
01-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Thank you but i am still slightly confused. I went to device manager but I do not see anything where I can choose an option to see the hardware ID's?? after that what is the next step. Thank you for helping a nub :) I am more of a step by step guy.

BrodyBoy
01-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Thank you but i am still slightly confused. I went to device manager but I do not see anything where I can choose an option to see the hardware ID's?? after that what is the next step. Thank you for helping a nub :) I am more of a step by step guy.
You shouldn't have to check the hardware ID for every device.....only those where it's not clear what device is installed, or who its manufacturer is.

Essentially, you need:

Intel Chipset driver
Realtek audio driver
nVidia Graphics driver
LAN driver
Cardreader driver
WLAN driver (your device will be listed as Intel or Azurewave/Atheros...get the appropriate driver)
Bluetooth (if applicable and wanted)
ATK Package

The first three you can get directly from the manufacturers' websites. (Also true of the Intel WLAN driver if you have an Intel card.) The others are all available on your model's support page that Drew already referenced.

If you want your installation to remain clean, don;t bother with all those "Others" and "Utilities" listing on the support page. Most of it is just Asus bloatware.

quickandslick@gmail.com
01-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the help gang. I have gone into device manager, right clicked the onese you told me and selected update driver. Every single time it says that the driver is up to date. What needs to be done? I am noticing little things that are not working. For eg. SETfsb does not work, neither does a high performance option under power management show up. Any ideas?

quickandslick@gmail.com
01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Here is a pic of what I see when I right click
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg592/quickandslick/pic.jpg

Im still confused on what I need to do exactly since it is saying the drivers are up to date when I go and right click on the ones you told me.

BrodyBoy
01-29-2012, 12:59 AM
When WIndows says that a driver is "up to date." that basically means that the one installed is compatible. The function in Device Manager doesn't really go online and check manufacturers' sites or anything like that....it won't know for example that there are newer WLAN drivers, just that the one you have is okay.

So you have to do a little online footwork. One good source is to use the Intel Driver update utility (on Intel's site). It checks your system and tells you whether there are newer drivers for any of your Intel devices.

Similarly, you can go to nVidia's site and either let its utility check your system, or put in the specs for your card, and it'll give you the latest available driver.

It looks to me like you probably still need to install the latest Intel chipset driver. If so, do that before any other drivers you plan to update.

quickandslick@gmail.com
01-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all the help guys just a few more quick Q's

1. Do get my atheros driver I am currently downloading driverboost (it was the only thing I could find to get the driver) will this be ok? Can I use it for all the other drivers too?
2. Where can I get my models ATK hotkey driver?
3. Do I need to download the BIOS updates off of the asus website for this model? if so how do i do it because they are .ROM files.
4. You mentioned that i need realtek for audio and it seems under device manager it is NVIDIA audio. Is there a detection prroblem? The only realtek I have in device manager is for the network card (wired).

Thanks again for all the great help!!!!!

quickandslick@gmail.com
01-31-2012, 02:00 PM
quick update I notice now that I need to register driver boost so it is probably non sense. I downloaded the chipset drivers for the laptop using the intel program you suggested. In driver boost it says the PCI express root ports, smbus controller, and family 6 port ahci controller are all out of date.... Is this just driverboost nonsense or do I need to download additional intel drivers?

BrodyBoy
01-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the help guys just a few more quick Q's

1. Do get my atheros driver I am currently downloading driverboost (it was the only thing I could find to get the driver) will this be ok? Can I use it for all the other drivers too?
2. Where can I get my models ATK hotkey driver?
3. Do I need to download the BIOS updates off of the asus website for this model? if so how do i do it because they are .ROM files.
4. You mentioned that i need realtek for audio and it seems under device manager it is NVIDIA audio. Is there a detection prroblem? The only realtek I have in device manager is for the network card (wired).

Thanks again for all the great help!!!!!
I don't know what DriverBoost is.....if it's one of those programs that's supposed to find all the newer drivers for you, I'd avoid it. You can easily get all the drivers you need via direct download from their manufacturters or Asus.

ATK PACKAGE:

The downloads section of your G71G's support page (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G71G&hashedid=m6FktlxnTmUJwrMm) has a link for the ATK driver.

BIOS:

If you need to update the BIOS, you get that from the same Asus downloads page. Here's how to do an update, if it's necessary:

In Windows Explorer, format a USB thumbdrive in FAT32
Download the new BIOS, extract it to the USB thumbdrive. The thumbdrive should contain just the one ROM file.
Power down. Ensure that the battery is installed, the computer is attached to a reliable A/C power source, and the USB thumbdrive is inserted into a USB 2.0 port.
Power up and press F4 immediately and repeatedly to access the EZ Flash utility. If your model doesn't have an F4 BIOS hotkey, use F2 or DEL to access the BIOS, then navigate to EZFlash in the Tools section.
In the EZ Flash window, you will see your current BIOS information shown on the upper left under "Current Platform." If you are already using the current BIOS, exit now.
EZ Flash should have already discovered the new BIOS on your thumbdrive, and it will be shown in the upgrade pane on the right. If it isn't found, use the arrow keys to navigate to the thumbdrive and locate it.
With the new BIOS file selected, hit ENTER and confirm that you want to upgrade
Don't intervene at all as update procedure erases the existing BIOS, writes the news one, and verifies the write.
The computer will shut down when the BIOS update is complete.
Boot up normally.

AUDIO DRIVERS:

The nVidia GPU includes an audio processor. The nVidia audio device is used when you use HDMI out. But your computer also has a primary audio chip, made by Realtek. As you've already noticed, you can get by without it, but it's a more full-featured driver than you get with the Microsoft generic driver (which is made by Realtek, BTW), or the nVida.

Regarding your update.....again, I wouldn't use or trust one of those programs. If you simply use the latest drivers from the manufacturers or Asus, you should be fine.

quickandslick@gmail.com
02-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Hey brody I immensley appreciate all of your help! So is it ok to download the vista 64bit atk? That is the only place I find it, not under "other operating systems". Is it really necessary to update the bios, will I see improved performance? Ty again

BrodyBoy
02-02-2012, 04:32 AM
Hey brody I immensley appreciate all of your help! So is it ok to download the vista 64bit atk? That is the only place I find it, not under "other operating systems". Is it really necessary to update the bios, will I see improved performance? Ty againBIOS updates usually address specific bugs...they don't generally impact performance otherwise. If you aren't having any problems known to be addressed by your model's BIOS update(s), you don't have to bother if you don't want to.

Are you saying that you're using an OS for which Asus doesn't provide an ATK driver? If so, tell me again you exact model and which OS you're using......I'll see if I can help you find a "best fit" driver.

quickandslick@gmail.com
02-06-2012, 06:41 PM
I need the ATK driver for the asus G71GA running windows 7 64 bit. I also cant seem to find the realtek audio driver.

BrodyBoy
02-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I need the ATK driver for the asus G71GA running windows 7 64 bit. I also cant seem to find the realtek audio driver.
Asus support doesn't seem to acknowledge a G71GA.....there's a G71G, G71GX, and G71V. Does your configuration use the G71G support page?

Symho
02-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Asus support doesn't seem to acknowledge a G71GA.....there's a G71G, G71GX, and G71V. Does your configuration use the G71G support page?

Hi Brody,

i have a question. Which video driver i must use for my G74? Asus certified or last Nvidia? I have noticed that the first is 329 MB size but the second is 190 MB size (285.26)! Also the second use all 3 GB of 560m GTX?
I have contact Nvidia and Asus and they haved tell me that i must use driver by Asus. Where is th truth?
Thanks!

fuzon1337
02-10-2012, 12:25 PM
i have a question. Which video driver i must use for my G74? Asus certified or last Nvidia?
Thanks!

Since Asus doesn't update (very often) the support site for our notebooks, the latest nVidia driver should do the trick :)
Latest nVidia driver (285.62) (http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/39066). When you download the driver be sure to do a clean install.

When you install the graphic driver you get a opportunity to choose between custom and complete (perhaps not the same word in the installation progress). Choose the custom and then check the box that says "do a clean install".

If you want the graphic driver that is Asus certified, look here (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74Sx&p=3&s=336).
First you have to choose which OS with 32/64-bit version and then go to VGA. Then you will find the Asus certified graphic drivers.

BrodyBoy
02-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi Brody,

i have a question. Which video driver i must use for my G74? Asus certified or last Nvidia?
Thanks!
You don't HAVE to use any particular driver offering. nVidia always has several available at once...the WHQL "official" release, and some BETA options as well. All of those have been used by G74 owners.

Asus also posts a few on the product support pages, but as fuzon said, they don't update often (or sometimes at all, seemingly), so they're always lagging behind the nVidia releases. They don't actually "certify" drivers....they just repackage them in their own installers, and add some Asus branding, etc.

In my computers, I always use the latest WHQL release direct from nVidia. But I don't play any of the games that nVidia's BETA drivers are often written for, so I can't say the WHQL is necessarily best for everybody.

quickandslick@gmail.com
02-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Sorry for the late reply. I have the asus G71G....... it just says asus G71G-A2 on the bottom of it. So I am looking for the atk driver and the realtek driver. Thanks!

quickandslick@gmail.com
02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
anyone know?

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 08:32 PM
anyone know?
Sorry....I didn't see that you had responded back....oops! I'll go take a look.

So, to be clear.....the problem is that that model was released during the Vista era, and Asus only posts Vista drivers, but you're now using Win 7 64-bit?

(For the Realtek driver....you can get that directly from the Realtek download site.)

Symho
02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
anyone know?

Look here:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G71G&p=3&s=136

in the section Utilities there are ATK drivers

in the section Audio there are REALTEK drivers

quickandslick@gmail.com
02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
anyone have any ideas?

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Look here:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G71G&p=3&s=136

in the section Utilities there are ATK drivers

in the section Audio there are REALTEK drivers
He's using Win 7.

anyone have any ideas?
Would you rather someone else help you? I was looking for drivers......

Symho
02-19-2012, 09:05 PM
He's using Win 7.

Would you rather someone else help you? I was looking for drivers......

The drivers for Vista run on Win7 too... what's the problem?

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 09:13 PM
The drivers for Vista run on Win7 too... what's the problem?
Not all of them run trouble-free. There are dedicated Win 7 drivers, in most cases.

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 09:29 PM
anyone have any ideas?
Looks like there's no ATK "package" for that model. Rather, you have several ATK components which are installed separately:

ATK Media
ATK Hotkey
ATK OSD2 Utility
ATK Generic Function Utility (interesting....!)
ATK 0100 Utility

For several of these, I have found Win 7 versions. We can't be sure they are the ideal match for your model, but I'd give them a try:

ATK Hotkey for Windows 7
(http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATK_Hotkey/ATK_Hotkey_WIN7_32_64_z100056.zip)
ATK Media for WIndows 7 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/ATK_Media/ATKMedia_WIN7_32_64_z200007.zip)

ATK OSD2 Utility for Windows 7 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/ATKOSD2/ATKOSD2_WIN7_32_64_z700010.zip)

ATK Generic Function Utility for Windows 7 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/AGFS/AGFNEX_WIN7_32_WIN7_64_1000008.zip)

You can wait and keep looking for the Win 7 "0100" driver, or try the Vista version. Personally, I'd use the computer without it and see if you lose any important functionality. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Most ATK functions are conveniences, and aren't absolutely necessary for the function of Asus computers. (I wouldn't jump to an ATK "package," BTW, because those will likely incorporate components for later models and may not run well on your machine.)

As I previously mentioned, you can get the Realtek driver(s) directly from their download site.

Symho
02-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Not all of them run trouble-free. There are dedicated Win 7 drivers, in most cases.

Ah, ok, I see. Sorry!

If quick contact Asus's assistance?

When i bought G71, returned too many problems, i had two disks for Win7 OS and drivers dedicated!

But mine was a G71GX

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Ah, ok, I see. Sorry!
No problem. It's just that Asus computers seem to be rather particular about their ATK stuff. :(

Symho
02-19-2012, 09:42 PM
No problem. It's just that Asus computers seem to be rather particular about their ATK stuff. :(

To Brody:

I have tried to install Nvidia drivers to version 285.26, and the PC is ok, the temperatures are slightly raised, but all ok! The only thing i see is that cineplayer doesn't work properly the screen appears black when i try to see a Blu-ray film... :confused:

Thank you

dstrakele
02-19-2012, 10:04 PM
....the problem is that that model was released during the Vista era, and Asus only posts Vista drivers, but you're now using Win 7 64-bit?

Awww yeah - the Vista era - I remember that started in the winter of 20 ought 7 - by cracky.... :smackin' toothless gums...

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Awww yeah - the Vista era - I remember that started in the winter of 20 ought 7 - by cracky.... :smackin' toothless gums...
And we're already on the verge of a bygone Win 7 era! (From what I've seen, though, I'm a little wary of Windows 8.....I might stick with the "old" tech for awhile......)

quickandslick@gmail.com
02-21-2012, 07:08 AM
thanks brody.... where did you find those atk drivers? Here is a link, can you tell me which realtek drivers I need im not sure which ones. http://www.realtek.com/downloads/

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 07:32 AM
thanks brody.... where did you find those atk drivers? Here is a link, can you tell me which realtek drivers I need im not sure which ones. http://www.realtek.com/downloads/
There are tons of drivers on the old Asus ftp site, which is only rarely online these days. It's rather hard to navigate, because there's no indication of what drivers apply to which models, but I had browsed the site enough before to get a sense of where to find things. Then I check to see whether the driver I want is available on the faster dlcdnet.asus site, which isn't browsable, AFAIK.

As for the Realtek audio driver, navigate to the HD Audio Codecs page, and you want the 2.67 driver circled here:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/RealtekHDaudio_3.png