PDA

View Full Version : G53J green pixels on display

tastypotato
01-27-2012, 07:32 PM
I've had my laptop for almost a year now (Bought it from Newegg) and it's been a great laptop but as of recently I ran into a pretty annoying and game breaking problem.

Woke up one morning to play my favorite tank game and was presented with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SOr2Xbeic

Called up ASUS tech support and they suggested a System Recovery - I kind of laughed at this because it seemed to be a hardware issue but proceeded to open mouth and insert foot when it actually solved the problem!

However, now two days later I booted up my computer and was greeted to green pixels flashing on and off on the screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHqhJ9yG0hg

So I called tech support up again and they wanted me to send in an invoice of my purchase and then wait two days and call back with my service number. Since then I tilted the screen a couple times and the problem has gone away (For now). I'm worried that if I send my laptop in tech support will not be able to reproduce this problem and I'll be paying for shipping to and from their repair center.

Has anyone else seen this problem and maybe has some advice as to how to handle ASUS tech support?

dstrakele
01-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Does the problem appear in an external monitor or LCD TV connected to your laptop via HDMI or VGA ports? If not, it's likely a hardware problem with your laptop display (i.e. a faulty LCD video cable or cable connection).

tastypotato
01-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Does the problem appear in an external monitor or LCD TV connected to your laptop via HDMI or VGA ports? If not, it's likely a hardware problem with your laptop display (i.e. a faulty LCD video cable or cable connection).

The first problem with the colors and textures stretching would transfer over to an external display - however the green pixels issue hasn't come back long enough for me to test it on an external display. I will test that as soon as it comes back though.

dstrakele
01-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Your initial issue looked like a video driver problem, resolved by the reinstall.

You report your second issue no longer appears after moving the lid. That sounds more like a hardware problem. The test with an external monitor will confirm it one way or the other.

tastypotato
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
I did end up taking the laptop in and they replaced the "VGA" so I'm assuming they replaced the graphics card?

But now about 6 months later the problem is now back - except instead green it's now yellow and instead of being able to get rid of the yellow lines by moving the lid they are just there and won't go away.

:/

I'm really damned glad I got the extended warranty with this thing.

Yellow lines(Pixels):
http://imgur.com/a/3TI2i

xeromist
07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
How are your temps? Have you cleaned it with compressed air recently?

tastypotato
07-05-2012, 06:02 PM
How are your temps? Have you cleaned it with compressed air recently?

1. Temps look fine - Just checked with HWMonitor and the CPU doesn't hit above 78 (Under load, idle temps are 39-44) and the problem doesn't really happen when I'm using the GPU.

2. Where would I spray the compressed air, I refuse to actually open up the laptop as I don't want to void my warranty (3 year extended from Newegg)

xeromist
07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
into the vent ports. You just want to break the dust up that has settled and hopefully eject some at the same time. The rest will get pushed out by the internal fans.