PDA

View Full Version : G73SW A1 Video Display Problems

jabba77
01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Wow am I frustrated! Since Sept. 2011 I started to get problems on my 3 month old laptop. The video started fluttering and an error message just came up that video display drivers have stopped responding and have successfully recovered. This went on probably once every 2 weeks and finally I got the blue screen of death with it so I got worried. Trouble shooted and checked temps as well as tried different drivers but it still occurred. Called Asus support who informed me that my video card wasn't working properly and to send it in. I did mid Dec. and they said they replaced the video card. Well wouldn't you know I'm playing it today and it happens again!

Has this happened to anyone else? I need advise. Shouldn't the new 460m GTX card not be doing this? Should I send it in again and risk this happening again? Could it actually be the computer and not the video card? Please help I'm pulling my hair out!

The Uglyspirit
01-27-2012, 10:56 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10148-G73SW-potential-Video-card-problem-Should-i-be-worried

jabba77
01-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Sounds like the same thing. I also played Crysis 2 but had no problems till later.

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 01:35 AM
I recommend trying the following troubleshooting strategy for your video issues:

1) Does a Windows System Restore to a time before the video issue manifested resolve the issue? If yes, you have to look at what was installed to the system after the restore date. Pay particular attention to Windows Updates and other driver installations. Install them one at a time and test by attempting to reproduce the issue to determine whick driver or update is the cause.

It is possible you can reinstall all the updates and drivers and not have a problem. I've noticed that driver installations can sometimes affect the stability of other drivers, particularly the video driver. I ran into this problem when installing a new Realtek audio driver and then noticed my extended desktop on an external monitor would often be lost. To avoid such problems, I now install drivers from Windows Safe Mode. This disables other running drivers that can potentially interfere with a driver installation.

2) Does the video issue also occur on an external monitor? If so, it eliminates the possibility of a faulty laptop display, bad LCD video cable, or bad video cable connection.

3) Is the system overclocked? Overclocking can affect stability, go back to the stock clocks and see if you can reproduce the issue.

4) Is the system overheating? Logging CPU and GPU temperatures with SpeedFan, HWINFO64, or RealTemp can help determine if you need to blow out the CPU, GPU, Fans, air intakes and exhausts with compressed gas, or if a repaste is necessary.

5) Does the issue occur just in a specific game? If you can't reproduce the video problem by running a stress test, it may be likely that video driver configuration, game client configuration, or a game specific patch will resolve your issue. Lurking and/or Posting in a specific game's forum's can give you useful information as to configuration, known issues, and patches.

6) If you are receiving Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) errors, where the screen goes blank and returns with a message stating "the display driver stopped responding and has recovered", it indicates WIndows detected the video driver stopped responding for 2 seconds. If the display driver cannot be successfully restarted, you get a BSOD.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215256 discusses how to troubleshoot NVIDIA TDR errors. Basically the article discusses how to removie all traces of any existing NVIDIA drivers, and then perform a clean install of a known stable NVIDIA Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) driver. The article doesn't mention using Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode to remove NVIDIA driver remnants or using CCleaner to clean up the registry, but this can be done as well. This strategy can also be used with AMD drivers by running ATI Crap Cleaner.

Lurking and Posting on NVIDIA or AMD forums is a good strategy to find out about known video driver issues and their resolution.

7) DPC Latency can result not only in poor game performance, but also contribute to TDR errors. Download DPC Latency Checker from the link in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s and follow the instructions on the download page to troubleshoot for drivers with DPC Latency. If you have an Atheros WLAN driver, confirm it is version 9.2.1.432 or later. Earlier versions are notorious for high DPC Latency.

8) Sometime a clean Windows 7 installation is the only way to recover a stable system. If you go this far and still have issues, it is likely you have a hardware error that requires repair.

jabba77
01-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Wow! Nice reply! Here are the answers for most of these troubleshooting strategies:

1-Tried system restore. Didn't help.
2-Does occur on external monitor.
3-Not overclocked
4-Not overheating. Using HWmonitor
5-Doesn't occur in specific game
6-Definately receiving TDR errors and BSOD
7-Looking into DPC latency as I'm using Atheros WLAN driver.
8-Haven't done this due to no win 7 disc. Can't be hardware as I just had the video card replaced.

What I'm getting from this is that it is most likely not hardware at all. Thanks again for the fast reply.

jabba77
01-28-2012, 02:15 AM
UPDATE:
Atheros driver is version 9.2.1.432

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 02:28 AM
DPC Latency can be caused by other drivers besides the Atheros WLAN driver. You want to see a lot of green in DPC Latency Checker to be sure you're out of the woods with respect to DPC Latency.

Since it occurs on both monitors, it is related to the GPU or video driver. Just because the GPU is new unfortunately doesn't eliminate it from being faulty.

Have you tried a complete uninstall/clean reinstall of a WHQL video driver in Safe Mode? Along with Driver Sweeper and CCleaner to remove any video driver remnants prior to reinstall if needed? That'd be what I would do based on your response.

Bad RAM and bad power supply are also possible causes for TDR's. It may also be worthwhile to use Memtest86 to test your RAM, perhaps even one stick at a time. You can also troubleshoot your power supply by testing if the issue occurs on battery or with battery removed. Running CHKDSK C: /F /R (as well as other partitions on the disk) is also a worthwhile troubleshooting step.

If that fails to provide a resolution, you can download a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit .ISO file from the OP of http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s and then burn it to a DVD. As long as this version of Windows is what was installed at the factory on your system you can use the license# on the tag on the bottom of your laptop or use ABR (also in the referenced thread) to backup and restore your Windows 7 Activation Information.

jabba77
01-28-2012, 02:48 AM
Just ran the DPC test and discovered that the driver causing the latency is actually the video driver. When disabled there is no latency all green. Using 460m GTX driver version 8.17.12.8562

jabba77
01-28-2012, 02:54 AM
not sure how to complete uninstall/clean reinstall of a WHQL video driver in Safe Mode.

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 03:08 AM
1) Uninstall your current 285.62 driver from Control Panel. REBOOT

2) Check Properties of your Display Adapter in Device Manager to confirm the Microsoft VGA driver is now installed.

3) Run Driver Sweeper. If any NVIDIA drivers are displayed, remove them. Use of CCleaner to clean the registry is optional.

4) Since the version 285.62 IS the WHQL driver for your system, use it. http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/39066

Reboot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 repeatedly at the ASUS Splash Screen. Launch the NVIDIA 285.62 installer. Choose the "Custom Install" option and check the "Clean Install" checkbox. REBOOT and test to see if you can reproduce your video issue.

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 03:16 AM
What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, and Remote Access software have you installed to your system?

jabba77
01-28-2012, 03:51 AM
Just did the clean install. Ran the DPC latency checker and it is still in the red. No green bars. Maybe have to do a clean install of windows 7. Quick question will I need to update drivers when doing this?

jabba77
01-28-2012, 03:54 AM
AVG, Malwarebytes, firewall that came with laptop (Windows?) and not sure about remote access.

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 04:01 AM
For now, ignore DPC Latency Checker results. Can you reproduce your video issue now? That's the key thing.
You can also try a clean install of the stock NVIDIA driver.

If you go the clean Windows 7 install route, you'll need to install the drivers for your hardware. It's best to determine that now from Device Manager. You'll need:

Intel Chipset
Fresco USB 3.0
WLAN (may want to copy to a flash drive to allow you to download other drivers (or save to a different partition)
Bluetooth (if you use it)
LAN (if you use Ethernet connection)
Video
Audio
Touchpad
Card Reader (if you use it)
Intel RST (if you use it)
ASUS ATK Package

EDIT: My G74SX came with a Trend Micro Antivirus Trial. Did yours? If so, did you uninstall it before installing AVG?

jabba77
01-28-2012, 04:25 AM
No trend antivirus. As for reproducing, it only happens every now and then. Not all the time.

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 04:35 AM
I have read posts on the NVIDIA forum complaining of the driver's high DPC Latency. It may actually be an NVIDIA problem! I don't see it on my system, however, running the 290.53 Beta or the stock 268.xx? driver.

In the NVIDIA forum thread I referenced in my post #4 in this thread, NVIDIA is actually seeking Memory Dumps and other information from customer systems that experience TDR's from their 285.xx and later drivers in an attempt to resolve the issue.

Give it a shot and see if the issue manifests. But DPC Latency is caused by the driver waiting for I/O, just the sort of thing that results in TDR errors. In your case, I think it would be wise to confirm your RAM, HDD file system, and Power Supply are sound before proceeding further.

jabba77
01-28-2012, 04:45 AM
I'll do that. Thanks!

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Another thing to think about... What happens to the DPC Latency if you uninstall AVG Antivirus? Could some conflict between it and the NVIDIA driver result in the high DPC Latency?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes AntiMalware without issues on my system.

The Uglyspirit
01-28-2012, 01:27 PM
As per my post http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10148-G73SW-potential-Video-card-problem-Should-i-be-worried
I seem to have a similar problem which was not fixed by OS reinstall or video driver clean reinstalls-also i had only 1 or 2 critical error messages recorded by windows when it happened-the rest of the time i could not ascertain why i was losing the picture in certain more graphically punishing games (no temp issues either-GPU never over 73c).
So i began to think of other things i had been doing differently with this laptop since the problem arose.....it occured to me that i had been recently using an external 7200rpm Seagate Goflex pro 750GB Hard drive on the USB3 and that it had been attached and drawing power when these video problems occured.
So far since not using this external HD i have not had this issue-so..could it be a power drain issue from the motherboard which could have affected the GPU or maybe a heat issue as the USB3 port is on the same side of the board.
As to whether this only affects my G73SW or is a design flaw...i guess those of you using USB3 external HDs might have the answer...

Regarding the Atheros AR9285 wi fi adapter...i am using the original stock driver...can someone give me a link to the best or latest driver.Also i assume i should uninstall the old atheros driver 1st but cannot see it in add/remove programs and i dont like uninstalling drivers from the device manager due to past issues (i know Nvidia say this is a complete no/no with their latest display drivers).
Will running the latest atheros driver auto unistall the last one?

The Uglyspirit
01-28-2012, 02:07 PM
:mad:.....So it happened again picture gone just when sitting in menu of Dawn of war 2 and i didn't have an external HD attached so that theory is thrown out.
However i did notice about 6 warning events in the event viewer ID15 ACPI 'the embedded controller returned data when none was requested.The bios might be trying to access the EC without synchronising with the operating system'.
I'm running latest beta driver 290.53 but have had this issue with other drivers....will i have to RMA?

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 08:09 PM
That's an interesting Warning, @UglySpirit. I couldn't find much about it googling except this: http://winhlp.com/node/43 This article states:

"As I found out much later, the errors are triggered by programs like temperature monitors or DVD playing programs, which query the ACPIEC chip for temperature or battery charge information or similar. The DVD player WinDVD, for example, does it to find out whether the battery of a laptop is running low."

1) What CPU and GPU temperatures are you logging when your TDR error occurs?

2) Bad RAM and bad Power Supply are also possible causes of TDR's. Have you run memtest86? Does your TDR occur while on A/C with battery removed? Does it occur on battery?

3) Does the TDR occur outside of Dawn of War 2 (i.e. can you reproduce it with a stress test)? If not, it could be game-specific, where the developers of Dawn of War 2 need to issue a patch. Have you lurked/posted on the Dawn of War 2 forums?

4) What does DPC Latency Checker show you?

5) Have you tried a clean Windows 7 install and still get TDR's?

As I replied to @jabba77, the thread http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215256 indicates NVIDIA is seeking Memory Dumps and other information from customers who experience TDR's with their version 285.xx and later drivers. I would go to the NVIDIA forum and research there for awhile before doing an RMA - maybe even get directly involved with NVIDIA tech support.

With the info you have provided to date, I think there's a better than 99.9999999999999% chance it'll be returned to you from RMA with the same issue.

EDIT: I see you also reported video corruption in Crysis 2 in your other thread. I'd be tempted to perform a clean Windows 7 install with the NVIDIA WHQL video driver for your system. Then attempt to reproduce the video corruption you reported in Crysis 2 with a stress test (to eliminate possibility of it being a game-specific error) and see if it also occurs in an external monitor.