PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Doesn't boot

elyo-luk
01-28-2012, 03:56 PM
The computer will not boot. When I press the power key, the computer tries to boot, sound fans, LEDs are lit, but it just shows nothing on the screen. I have not updated the BIOS. Simply turned off the computer normally and the next day did not work.

Example, those two LEDs are ON. I have never seen the right's one ON.

http://i.imgur.com/S3qQZ.jpg

Any idea?

Thanks

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
How long have you had this G74SX? Is it too late to go to your retailer and ask to exchange your system for a new unit or return for a refund?

If you are still within their return policy time limit, don't let them talk you into RMA'ing your laptop to ASUS for warranty repair. Once you do that the laptop and its problems are yours. The retailer is off the hook.

If you can't exchange or return, here are some things you can try before an RMA:

1) Unplug the laptop, remove the battery, and hold the power-on button down for 30 seconds. Then replace battery and power supply and restart.

2) Open the bottom of the laptop and reseat the HDD(s) and memory sticks.

Boosted_R
01-28-2012, 09:51 PM
that's strange, only after i updated my BIOS the right led stays on all the time...... only things I can see you doing is what dstrakele said....good luck

elyo-luk
01-28-2012, 10:03 PM
How long have you had this G74SX? Is it too late to go to your retailer and ask to exchange your system for a new unit or return for a refund?

If you are still within their return policy time limit, don't let them talk you into RMA'ing your laptop to ASUS for warranty repair. Once you do that the laptop and its problems are yours. The retailer is off the hook.

If you can't exchange or return, here are some things you can try before an RMA:

1) Unplug the laptop, remove the battery, and hold the power-on button down for 30 seconds. Then replace battery and power supply and restart.

2) Open the bottom of the laptop and reseat the HDD(s) and memory sticks.

I've got my G74SX since September 2011. I think it's too late to ask to exchange.

I tried both things you reccomend me, but it doesn't work.

What can I do?

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 10:34 PM
The right LED in your referenced image is the NumLock state. In BIOS versions 202 and 203, the NumLock state is always ON. The left LED is the Caps Lock state, indicating Caps Lock is ON. It can be turned OFF by pressing the Caps Lock key.

If you attach an external monitor to your laptop via the HDMI or VGA ports, does it display anything?

fostert
01-28-2012, 10:40 PM
You say the computer does not boot, but does it POST? That is, can you get into the BIOS by repeatedly pressing F2 immediately after you push the power button?

Try removing the HDDs and all but one stick of RAM, the see if you can get into the BIOS at least, and reset the BIOS to defaults. Replace HDDs and retry: if it works then replace all RAM and retry.

Also did you accidentally shut off the screen with Fn-F7?

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Glad you mentioned the Fn-F7, @fostert! I was thinking about that since the Caps Lock was on at startup, but then I got interrupted by a phone call and couldn't remember what I wanted to post.

elyo-luk
01-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Hi

I attached an external monitor to my laptop via the HDMI and VGA port and it doesn't show anything.

I tried repeatedly pressing F2 immediately after I pushed the power button, buy it still showing nothing.

Tomorrow i'll try to remove all HDD and Memory Sticks (except one).

I don't remember if I accidentally shut off the screen with Fn-F7.

Thanks!

fostert
01-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Can you send the external a signal via Fn-F8 while its plugged in and once the computer should have booted your OS? Also try Fn-F7 several times once its on...

evgasr2
02-05-2012, 05:31 AM
hey your vga is the culprit. but you will be able to rma it. Because Im having the issue with my g73jh.
and does your keyboard light up , if it does then there is an expected method to recover you g74, mine also light up but I dont have onboard vga so its a must to me to replace vga and im out of warrenty, but for you this method mite work.
press power button for 15second (dont hold it, just press) right after you press power button. and press up arrow key and enter now your in bios but blindly (nothing on screen) then press f9 and enter and f10 and enter then your laptop will restart keyboard will light up again, if this happens i can help you to get your g74 back to life. tell me what happens

dabigin
02-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Narrowing it down from your video not showing up on your laptop nor your monitor when plugged in. It may be something wrong with your motherboard.

Without asking you thats what I came up with. Answer the following and I may be able to help you get to the root of the problem.

How long have you had the laptop?

What upgrades have you done to the laptop?

Have you noticed hangs or any performance issues on your laptop because of this happening?

Explain exactly what happens. What happens when you do a cold boot (starting it from a shut down state) or restart?

Answering these questions will give us a little more insight into whats wrong with your laptop. To me it seems like you have a short in your motherboard and it needs replacing.

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 06:34 AM
@dabigin: You may want to review the thread. The OP has already been asked most of these questions and answered them.

dabigin
02-05-2012, 06:39 AM
I realized that after posting. So much for skipping and just typing what I thought it was.... I'll look through the posts for fixes before posting again

Nico11493
02-11-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm having the same screen issue and i tried the bios reset on the black screen and it worked. what can i do now?

BrodyBoy
02-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm having the same screen issue and i tried the bios reset on the black screen and it worked. what can i do now?
Can you describe your issue, and what it's doing now?

Giako
02-13-2012, 10:07 PM
The computer will not boot. When I press the power key, the computer tries to boot, sound fans, LEDs are lit, but it just shows nothing on the screen. I have not updated the BIOS. Simply turned off the computer normally and the next day did not work.

Any idea?

Thanks

Hi...
I had the same problem after 2 hours of life ...
Reported the notebook on Asus, because I had the right to get a new one within 7 days in case of failure.
However, I hnno said that the problem was known and was fixed on the new notebook :(

evgasr2
02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
OMG I got a warning ,
I just want to help people.
btw: hey I found the thread now so you can manual restart then. then il give you a file , make a bootale flash drive and put that file and the original bios file of your laptop found in asus.com ,and a file called aflash2. give me your email il send you the bat file. just turn off laptop remove battery + ac adapter and wait 2 min and reinsert both and insert flash drive and turn on laptop. wait for sometime and turn off(somtimes it will restart or turn off automatically) then press power button again to turn on laptop the you would see the asus screen and key board lights light up two times.

BrodyBoy
02-18-2012, 06:48 PM
OMG I got a warning ,
I just want to help people.
btw: hey I found the thread now so you can manual restart then. then il give you a file , make a bootale flash drive and put that file and the original bios file of your laptop found in asus.com ,and a file called aflash2. give me your email il send you the bat file. just turn off laptop remove battery + ac adapter and wait 2 min and reinsert both and insert flash drive and turn on laptop. wait for sometime and turn off(somtimes it will restart or turn off automatically) then press power button again to turn on laptop the you would see the asus screen and key board lights light up two times.
AFlash2 is just an alternate BIOS flashing method. It doesn't restore a bricked/dead BIOS on these G-series laptops. Nor does the AMI emergency flash method.

dstrakele
02-18-2012, 07:42 PM
If your computer is booting into a blank screen, try the procedure in this article:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/upgrade-install-to-windows-7-results-in-a/ab43493b-247c-427e-ba21-4950eea279ac

If that should fail, this article has some other suggestions you can try:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-black-screen-when-booting-up/93a2c6e2-9418-4f45-b217-2a152fcce665

If they both fail, report in detail what you have tried to resolve your issue.

tariq_
02-21-2014, 11:58 PM
i have same issue its happened to me suddenly i lost electricity and then returned ,i dont now if we replace the bios chip will be work or not please help me i am so confused

tariq_
02-22-2014, 12:16 AM

Any idea?

Thanks

Do you know what the problem in this case