PDA

View Full Version : Windows Server 2016 Restore Windows 10 1803 on ASUS G752VSK RAID 0 Drive

jdfrench3
05-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Spent some time this week working the new features on Windows 10 version 1803. My upgrade experience was without problems but it had been some time since I tried a full system restore from my Windows Server 2016. My ASUS G752VSK has two Samsung 512GB NVMe 960 Pro M.2 drives in RAID 0 and a Samsung 1TB 850 Pro SSD. The Windows Server has been making daily backups of all the laptops on the local network (Domain). I have performed several file restores from the Server to a couple laptops in the last six months, so I knew that function worked. My first attempt at performing a full system restore from the Server to my G752VSK did not work. The process failed because it wasn't seeing the RAID 0 drive and trying to add (normally) the Intel RST driver did not work. For those not familiar with the process, the server builds a bootable USB that connects to the server over the local network and installs a full system installation. What I found after many hours of searching was the necessary drivers (stored on the Server) were not being integrated on the bootable USB. I installed the latest Pre Installation Environment Windows ADK (1803) on the Server, then used DISM GUI.exe to run those drivers within the boot.wim file on the USB. Using my modified USB I was able to perform a complete rewrite of all the data on the RAID 0 drive and data on the 1TB SSD.

TechnicaOne
07-07-2018, 10:35 AM
Thanks for posting your experience and solution.

jdfrench3
07-14-2018, 12:48 AM
The reason I posted this is because Windows Server 2016 is not able to provide a full system restore to RAID storage. I proved with a few mods (adding the IRST driver to the full restore USB) the process can be accomplished. This is something Microsoft could fix rather easily but are reluctant because cloud storage has become cheaper.

Clintlgm
07-15-2018, 04:22 PM
The reason I posted this is because Windows Server 2016 is not able to provide a full system restore to RAID storage. I proved with a few mods (adding the IRST driver to the full restore USB) the process can be accomplished. This is something Microsoft could fix rather easily but are reluctant because cloud storage has become cheaper.

I'm thinking this could be the answer to these people that their notebooks come with 2 m.2 SSD in raid 0?

jdfrench3
07-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Honestly, the answer is for ASUS to move on to a better (more common) RAID driver.