PDA

View Full Version : Saga of my G551 laptop heat issue

weasel65
05-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Hey all; so I had a heating problem, LT reaching low 90s playing Rome2. I tried under volting by 80mv and the heat never changed, only by disabling turbo was I able to reduce heat and the game actually ran much better. So I changed the thermal paste with Arctic Mx4 and the temps dropped to around 83c, better but still high so I tried some holes under the cpu/gpu, this made no difference at all to the temperature.

Now the strange thing: the LT was running great for a day and then suddenly if I unplugged the ac chord and plugged it back in I would get no power, but if kept doing it eventually I would get power but my battery would charge at a snail pace, about 1% in 6 hours. I thought maybe I pinched something putting it back together so I took the board out, plugged it in and power, unplugged and plugged in, power. Kept doing this no problem. Put the LT back together, put in the battery, no ac power, only battery. I was stumped until I realized I only have the problem with the battery in, so I took it out...and power. I never run on battery anyway but this is strange. I also tried using my other power adapter from my other asus LT but same thing, work and then not work.

The LT is 5 years old now I guess, still works great for the games I play, but I hate the red backlight keys and the cooling sucks so I am not sure if and when I get another LT if I am going to buy Asus. I was looking at the FX503vd though, the back seems to have much more cooling vents.

weasel65
05-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Just an update, I have noticed that the holes in the bottom, with Arctic Cooler pad, will reduce the temps a further 5c on average.

Gps3dx
05-14-2018, 09:03 PM
if you really want to lower temp AND YOU'RE OUT OF WARRANTY PERIOD - perform the intake mod like HERE (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81598-G551-Series-How-to-solve-overheating-throttling-and-more) AND HERE (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78745-Another-Laptop-Intake-Mod-for-G751JY).

I've done it personally on my G751JT, repasted CPU,GPU & chips with Arctic's MX-4 - and got idle temps 15-25C lower then before ( I had ~90C when playing now ~75C ).

weasel65
05-16-2018, 12:14 AM
I read those before drilling mine but I wasn't going to key hole the bottom of mine like that. I drilled about 20 holes right under the gpu/cpu which is good enough for me. As I said above, the heat issues with ASUS ROG is really going to make me look hard at an MSI or something before getting a new ROG in the future. Just finished 4 hours of Rome 2 and max temp was 77c, much better then the 93c I was getting.