PDA

View Full Version : Asus apps that need to be re-installed after formatting G74sx

mbart79
01-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi all

I know someone has written up which Asus applications need to be reinstalled after a format but for the life of me I cant find it.

Think I have all the drivers ready to go now just trying to make a list of things to download

Cheers ppl :)

PILGRIM
01-29-2012, 01:32 PM
ASUS apps are optional. But if what you're looking for are the basic drivers, then here's a list by BrodyBoy:

The basic drivers are:

Intel chipset
Intel RST
Intel MEI
nVidia graphics
Realtek audio
Realtek cardreader
Realtek LAN
Atheros or Intel WLAN (and BT, if resent and needed)
Fresco USB 3.0
ATK Package

mbart79
01-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Yep I think I've sorted all them. It was the Asus software that comes with the computer im on about. Was a thread talking about the Asus bloatware to get rid of and what to keep.

GottiBoi55
01-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Don't forget the TouchPad, Keyboard filter drivers:D

The "TouchPad" will not work correctly with the "ATK package" if you forget that driver:(

dstrakele
01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
The ASUS ATK Package controls the function key functions. Everything else from ASUS is unnecessary. But if you like the functionality, you can still download it from the ASUS site.

For myself, I installed the ASUS Ai Charger to allow me to charge my cell phone from the USB port even when the laptop is shut down. I find that a useful feature. However, it just enables a setting in the BIOS, so that isn't even really necessary.

I've actually kept the ASUS Factory OS partition as part of a dual boot Windows 7 installation, the other instance being my clean Win 7 install that I use with beta drivers. If it should blow up, I can still immediately boot into the ASUS Factory instance to get work done until I have time to troubleshoot. I also like to go in there and play with Rotation Desktop (but don't tell Brody, JR, or fostert about that...)

mbart79
01-29-2012, 11:37 PM
I used a driver backup program to grab all the drivers off my computer which i thought was handy.

I seam to remember reading that the Asus performance booster tool (not the exact name) was a good program to keep too but can't remember where I read it to verify.

mbart79
01-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Where is the partition with the factory Asus operating system? I've got 2 750gig hard drives in mine and about to replace one with a 120 gig solid state. Probably a good idea to keep the hd with the recovery partition right?

mbart79
01-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Just found the info I was chasing about Asus pre-installed software. Here are the links incase anyone else is searching.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9796-Pre-installed-Software-g74sx&highlight=Bloatware

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html

GottiBoi55
01-30-2012, 02:09 AM
I going to do the same as Dstrakele.
Going to add an Intel SSD, and use the stock drive as my second OS and data drive.
Make a dual boot with three partitions, leaving the factory installed OS, and recovery partition in-tacked.

BrodyBoy
01-30-2012, 02:14 AM
I know someone has written up which Asus applications need to be reinstalled after a format but for the life of me I cant find it.
The NBR thread is a little outdated, but still works as a general guide.

The point to keep in mind, though, is that bloatware is, by definition, non-essential and unnecessary. Aside from the ATK package, there is no other Asus software that you need after a clean install. Indeed, it's the absence of that software that make the installation "clean."