PDA

View Full Version : Dropping wireless connection with Atheros card

thegreatest
01-29-2012, 04:09 PM
I have the drivers updated. Is there anything I can do to fix it? I don't think it is my router or my provider since my xbox (on a wireless connection) never does it.

If I can't fix it, what are some good replacement cards?

Boosted_R
01-29-2012, 06:50 PM
has it always been dropping wireless since you got it ? or did it just start ? check your mac address settings............. If you decided to change WIFI card the INTEL 6230 (WIFI and Bluetooth) is a great card, many users have switched to this card with good results.

thegreatest
01-29-2012, 07:05 PM
It just started and I plugged in an ASUS USB card and it is working perfectly, so I guess that means my laptop card is bad. I can't find the Intel 6230 anywhere for some reason. How are these?

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ultimate-633ANHMW-802-11n-Adapter/dp/B0038A9HSK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00517AOMG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2/192-3558584-3980142?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0CMDS50NAV07314H583R&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B0038A9HSK

BrodyBoy
01-29-2012, 07:16 PM
It just started and I plugged in an ASUS USB card and it is working perfectly, so I guess that means my laptop card is bad. I can't find the Intel 6230 anywhere for some reason. How are these?

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ultimate-633ANHMW-802-11n-Adapter/dp/B0038A9HSK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00517AOMG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2/192-3558584-3980142?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0CMDS50NAV07314H583R&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B0038A9HSK
If you go with a 6300, get the first version you linked. (The 2nd one has vPro, which is a separate set of security features for enterprise environments.)

That card is WLAN only, and it's an excellent card. If you also want or need bluetooth, you should opt for the 6230 (http://www.amazon.com/6230-IEEE-802-11n-draft-Bluetooth/dp/B004PG08SE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327864472&sr=8-1), which is a very simislar WLAN component, but also has integrated bluetooth.

thegreatest
01-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Is the speed difference noticeable with a 20mb/s speed from my IP? I don't really use the bluetooth but if the speed isn't a big difference I may save the $10 and get the 6230.

Also, I can't find it, but does Newegg have them available?

BrodyBoy
01-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Is the speed difference noticeable with a 20mb/s speed from my IP? I don't really use the bluetooth but if the speed isn't a big difference I may save the $10 and get the 6230.

Also, I can't find it, but does Newegg have them available?
The speed makes absolutely no difference, as both cards will operate at whatever speed your router operates at. In fact, if you have a 150Mbps router, none of these cards will increase your inter-network speed.....that will still be 150Mbsp. If you have a 300Mbps router, you'll probably get between 200-300 most of the time.

This won't impact your internet speed at all. On the other hand, a stable connection definitely adds to "perceived" speed, since even brief disconnects make the wirelss connection feel slow and laggy. And these cards do seem to be more stable in environments where the Atheros cards struggle.

I linked the 6230 for you....did you try that link?

thegreatest
01-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Yes I tried that link. I will probably end up buying that one, but I like going through Newegg better since IMO opinion they have great customer support in case something is wrong with the card or it is DOA or something. Do you have a link there? I can't for the life of me find it on Newegg. All I can find are laptops with that card in it.

BrodyBoy
01-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Yes I tried that link. I will probably end up buying that one, but I like going through Newegg better since IMO opinion they have great customer support in case something is wrong with the card or it is DOA or something. Do you have a link there? I can't for the life of me find it on Newegg. All I can find are laptops with that card in it.
No, I can't help you with retailers.

You're not going to get "support" for the card from any retailer. You'll just get a good card or a defective one, and if you get a defective one, you will want to return it. Any retailer that makes that easy and has competitive pricing should be okay. IMO, Amazon has the best return policies in the business....easier than Newegg's, most of the time. I use both of those retailers extensively.

thegreatest
01-29-2012, 07:48 PM
I find that I get it faster from Newegg and I really like their RMA process. Also, the card at Amazon is from a third party which is sort of concerning.

EDIT: I'm going to go ahead and buy that one at Amazon. Is there a guide around to changing it?

BrodyBoy
01-30-2012, 02:38 AM
First, download the new driver you'll need. Then uninstall the driver for the existing card.

Power down, and physically swap the card. Here's a photo from a G74...your WLAN card is probably located a little differently, but all the directions otherwise apply.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/G74%20Hardware/WLANswap.jpg

Boot up, and install the driver for the new card.

thegreatest
01-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Thanks. Is there a guide to opening the laptop to get to that point? I haven't opened this one yet and have no idea where to start

Signal2Noise
01-30-2012, 05:14 AM
It just started and I plugged in an ASUS USB card and it is working perfectly, so I guess that means my laptop card is bad. I can't find the Intel 6230 anywhere for some reason. ...

Fwiw, I ordered a 6230 thru Amazon last Monday. Got an email from them today stating they cannot get the card and have cancelled it from my order. I was disappointed. I went on eBay and found a bunch there originating from China and bought one with the cheapest shipping fee. Hopefully will get it soon enough.

thegreatest
01-30-2012, 05:19 AM
Do you know the name of the user you bought it from so I can avoid buying from the same people?

BrodyBoy
01-30-2012, 05:46 AM
Thanks. Is there a guide to opening the laptop to get to that point? I haven't opened this one yet and have no idea where to start
Google is your friend. :)

Simply searching "G53 disassembly" gives a ton of results....including the Asus disassembly guide. (http://ncandelier.free.fr/dem/AsusG53DisassemblyGuide.pdf)

BrodyBoy
01-30-2012, 05:49 AM
I went on eBay and found a bunch there originating from China and bought one with the cheapest shipping fee. Hopefully will get it soon enough.

Do check your card carefully when it arrives. Perhaps your eBay seller is above board, and their products are all legit, but lots of counterfeit Intel cards come out of China.

thegreatest
01-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Alright thanks for the help Brodyboy.

n1ghtl1fe
01-31-2012, 12:48 AM
I had the same issue with my g74, my atheros card would randomly drop my home connection or sometimes even not see the connection at all.

I uninstalled and reverted any tweaks I had done on my laptop internet wise, as well as completely uninstalled my atheros card through device manager (making sure to click remove driver software during uninstall). Then i rebooted and re installed drivers for the card using my asus driver disc.. Ive been problem free for about a week now.

Id try that before buying a new card all together.

Boosted_R
01-31-2012, 01:49 AM
Don't buy cards coming from china. 99% of the cards coming there are engineering samples, you can notice the one side of the cards is just white with no info on it......They all carry the same same mac address so if you had 2 of those cards on the same network...your network would go crazy.

http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=20642

Says its instock.... good luck

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 03:26 AM
Ok so I installed the card and I am only getting 3-5mb/s download when I used to get 20-25mb/s on this laptop and every other pc in the house is still getting those speeds. I installed the only driver I could find. Do I need to install something else? How can I get my normal speeds?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20791&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2864-bit%29*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications#help

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 03:31 AM
It's likely a settings issue. Check the channel width (usually best at auto) and the preferred band settings (set it to your actual network band). Turning off IP6 sometimes helps as well.

Check other settings for the card to make sure they match your network parameters.

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 03:46 AM
Well I'm not entirely sure where to check the settings, but I did go into my connections and changed the channel on the card from 11 to 6 (where my router is) and it bumped it up to 13mb/s. I also noticed that in the control panel, remove programs it doesn't have an Intel wireless driver listed. Also when I installed the driver a setup never popped up. It just did some search thing and stopped.

I did notice however when I changed the channel on it, the driver version was the same as I linked to so I'd assume it took.

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm sorry...those settings I mentioned are in the Advanced tab of the Intel driver properties.

To access it, open Device Manager, expand the Network adapters section, and double-click on the Intel adapter.

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Alright I was in the right place all along. All of those settings look fine. Anything else it could be? It's only like 5mb/s or so off but that seems like a lot.

I also took a screen shot of the properties just to make sure we are on the same page

http://i40.tinypic.com/j5gimc.jpg

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 05:45 AM
What network speed are you getting? (Click on the wireless icon in your taskbar, then right-click on your network and select "Status.")

Invincible
02-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Is there any software to manage connections/atheros wi-fi card ? like intel software utility

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 05:07 PM
What network speed are you getting? (Click on the wireless icon in your taskbar, then right-click on your network and select "Status.")

It says 54mbps, but I know that my router is faster than that.

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Is there any software to manage connections/atheros wi-fi card ? like intel software utility
Wireless Console 3 is something of a "manager"....it's an interface for turning the wireless and bluetooth on/off, and for changing wireless profiles, if you use those. Is that what you meant?

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
It says 54mbps, but I know that my router is faster than that.
Yes, that suggests it's defaulting to the 802.11b protocols. So, I'm just going to run through the settings on my Intel card, which operates on a 802.11n network, 2.4Ghz band.

<tbody>
ADVANCED DRIVER PARAMETER
SETTING

802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4
Auto

802.11n Channel Width for band 5.2
Auto

802.11n Mode
Enabled

Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g

Ad Hoc QoS MOde
WMM Disabled

Bluetooth AMP
Disabled

Fat Channel Intolerant
Disabled

Mixed Mode Protection
CTS-to-self Enabled

Preferred Band
2. Prefer 2.4Ghz band

Roaming Aggressiveness
3. Medium

Transmit Power
5. Highest

Wireless Mode
3. 802.11g

</tbody>

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
My settings are the same as yours Brody except for the Ad Hoc Channel. I have mine at 6 to match what my router runs on. When I switched it from 11 to 6 that is when I jumped up to 13-14mb/s. That is still about 10mb/s slow compared to everything else on my network. Not 5 like I said before.

@dstrakele It says "802.11n" for the radio type but my router is on the mixed n, b, and g mode. When I switch it to N only my laptop won't connect to it.

dstrakele
02-04-2012, 07:53 PM
What's your current signal strength when connected on mixed mode?

You may need to lower the channel bandwith to 20 MHz on your router to get a consistent n connection.

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 07:55 PM
4-5 bars. Usually 5 though. Says signal strength is excellent

dstrakele
02-04-2012, 08:05 PM
If you do lower channel bandwidth on your router, can you switch to "N Only" and still connect?

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 08:06 PM
......but my router is on the mixed n, b, and g mode. When I switch it to N only my laptop won't connect to it.
I think this might be the problem. Do you have other b or g devices on your wireless network? If so, they can slow the whole network down....I think you're laptop is detecting the slower protocol and defaulting to it. If you don't need b or g capability (and you should avoid them if you can), set the router to broadcast to n-only. Then focus on getting the appropriate laptop settings for that protocol.

I also think "Auto" channel tends to work best, unless you have a really good reason to restrict your network to a specific channel like that.

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I would switch the wireless channel but it is greyed out and I can't change it. It says "2.437GHz - CH 6"

I don't have anything that requires b or g. Everything can run N. What do I need to change on my laptop?

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Which router?

Oh, and what security mode? Any security other than WPA will make the Intel card default to the lower speed.

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 08:24 PM
A D-Link router with WPA-Personal security.

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 08:30 PM
In the manual wireless setup section, I'd suggest these settings:

802.11 Mode: 802.11n only
Enable Auto Channel Scan: checkmarked (enabled)
Wireless Channel: greyed out (because of auto channel scan)
Transmission rate: Best (automatic)
Channel Width: Auto 20/40 Mhz
Visibility Status: Visible

This should give you an n-only network. Then you can work on getting your laptop to connect at n-only speeds....

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 08:41 PM
There is no transmission rate but other than that I already had everything set like that besides "N only"

I'll work on getting my laptop to connect and report back.

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Well I realized that when it is on N only nothing connects wirelessly. Only thing that works is my desktop with a wired connection. I couldn't get anything to connect

dstrakele
02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
FWIW - I run WPA2-Personal Security with AES Encryption. I have an ASUS RT-N56U Router that I run "N Only" on 2.4 GHz without issue. I know your card and router are different, but http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26915-43-wireless-intel-wifi-link-1000 suggests changing Security to WPA2-Personal with AES Encryption helped some Intel WLAN owners who also couldn't connect using "N Only".

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Ok I switched to WPA2-Personal and now I can connect to N only but not the speed jumps between, 54, 81, 90, and 108 mbps. It's seems to be at 81 or 90mbps the most though. I am getting the same signal strength (4-5 bars, usually 5) and the same download speed (about 13mb/s)

thegreatest
02-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Now out of nowhere my download speed dropped to 3.5mb/s and I haven't changed anything else. It was still at 13mb/s. What's going on? lol

dstrakele
02-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Try increasing Channel Bandwidth to 40 MHz. It may increase your transmission speeds. However, if this causes connection drops, you'll have to dial back.

One thing you should realize is that download speeds are highly variable, even on the same server. It depends on how busy the server is, how many folks are on your ISP's network, as well as your network's routing to the destination server. Having a 20 mb/s download on a single server drop to 1 mb/sec is not unusual.

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Good point, Drew. Download speeds (or any other internet metric) are not a good measure of wireless network performance, since there are too many other components and factors involved. In terms of setting up and optimizing the Intel card in the G74, you should focus on the signal quality and transmission rates between the router and the notebook.

@thegreatest: You may need to change a setting or two in your other devices, which is probably not what you want to be doing while you're just trying to address the laptop's connection. But your whole network, and all devices on it, will likely run better if everything is operating on an exclusive 802.11n protocol.

Is your D-Link router a single-stream or dual-stream model? (Or....do you know what its maximum wireless rate is?)