PDA

View Full Version : Rog g701vo booting to bios after SSD failure

redorangebacon
06-01-2018, 01:29 AM
c
STARTERS:
I just purchased a(n) ROG G701VO from a retailer on Amazon last April. The Laptop suffered an SSD failure, RAID (0) Failure last week. I've ordered two new SSDs from
Amazon China and regular Amazon to replace them, EVO 960/ 1 TB / SSDs. The Laptop was imported from the USA, so sending it back to the states isn't really a viable option at the moment.

MAINCOURSE:
Currently the laptop only boots into BIOS mode, I've just replaced one of the SSDs, found the one that failed, kept the other one in the laptop until my other replacement shows up. My main issue is that it still only boots into the BIOS, there's no option that I can see that would allow me to boot from either a USB or another External Hard Drive.

DESSERT:
I'd like to either FLASH the BIOS, if possible this would probably be the fastest method to bringing this laptop back to everydday use, So that I can use the SSDs without them being RAID 0.
Alternatively I'd like to take the laptop to be serviced locally, but I"m finding very little help in that regard.

DRINKS:
If you have any other advice or ways around this problem, I'd certainly be interested. I bought this PC to be my gaming PC currently, and just a general purpose PC as well as media PC for the next half a decade or so, retiring my previous ACER pc towards office use only. But, a month and a half in an SSD busts, somethings up with that.

Clintlgm
06-01-2018, 01:57 AM
c
STARTERS:
I just purchased a(n) ROG G701VO from a retailer on Amazon last April. The Laptop suffered an SSD failure, RAID (0) Failure last week. I've ordered two new SSDs from
Amazon China and regular Amazon to replace them, EVO 960/ 1 TB / SSDs. The Laptop was imported from the USA, so sending it back to the states isn't really a viable option at the moment.

MAINCOURSE:
Currently the laptop only boots into BIOS mode, I've just replaced one of the SSDs, found the one that failed, kept the other one in the laptop until my other replacement shows up. My main issue is that it still only boots into the BIOS, there's no option that I can see that would allow me to boot from either a USB or another External Hard Drive.

DESSERT:
I'd like to either FLASH the BIOS, if possible this would probably be the fastest method to bringing this laptop back to everydday use, So that I can use the SSDs without them being RAID 0.
Alternatively I'd like to take the laptop to be serviced locally, but I"m finding very little help in that regard.

DRINKS:
If you have any other advice or ways around this problem, I'd certainly be interested. I bought this PC to be my gaming PC currently, and just a general purpose PC as well as media PC for the next half a decade or so, retiring my previous ACER pc towards office use only. But, a month and a half in an SSD busts, somethings up with that.

What you need to do is go into the BIOS and change the SATA setting from RAID to AHCI that will kill any raid. then hopefully you had saved a backup copy of your eSupport folder since all your hardware and software driver is in that folder.
Then use MCT (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) to create windows Install USB media.

The way you get the USB to boot is to spam the Esc key that will bring up a boot menu and you would select your UEFI USB
Start the Install and you probably won't see your good SSD, no worries just hit the Shift + F10, that will bring up a command prompt.
in the command prompt
diskpart
List disk
select your SSD it should be the only one in your computer Yes??
SSD selected
Clean
convert to GPT
Exit
you should be back at the windows install, showing your SSD as a blank volume whatever select it to continue your clean install

redorangebacon
06-01-2018, 03:53 AM
There is no other option aside from RAID.
I'm currently looking for places to find alternative BIOS's to flash, but tech support would be very unhelpful.

Clintlgm
06-01-2018, 12:45 PM
There is no other option aside from RAID.
I'm currently looking for places to find alternative BIOS's to flash, but tech support would be very unhelpful.

OK still I ran my G752VY on the Raid Driver with my single 960 Pro for a year or so until they came out with the new BIOS that supported AHCI
This just mean that with your Single M.2 SSD install you'll have to download the latest RST Driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27681/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005) to your Install USB f6flpy-x64zip.
Unzip this driver to your MCT USB Install USB. Then during the install when your SSD doesn't show up look for a link the says I have a driver or Install driver something like that and point it to your USB and the unzipped RST folder, once that installs your SSD will be there to install windows to.
When you get your new SSD just install it and in disk management format it NTFS for storage Problem solved

about your BIOS Asus Support Downloads (https://www.asus.com/support/Download-Center/) register your notebook and all the latest drivers will be there for you. I don't advise using any BIOS upgrade from any other source you'll likley brick your notebook and warranty won't cover it.

We with the first generation of G752VY had to wait a few months for a BIOS upgrade that had AHCi, I can't imagine that your G701 wouldn't have a BIOS that support AHCI???? Why would Asus go backward for NVME that was solved a couple of years ago?

cl-Albert
06-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Curious if you work in the food service or hospitality industry, but if you haven't checked already and you're still interested in having it serviced, find out if your notebook includes international warranty or only local warranty in the country of purchase if cost is a factor at all.

Hopefully the ASUS support at your location can check the warranty status from your notebook serial number and let you know where the nearest service center is located or let me know if you want any help to check the warranty situation.
If your notebook model is not sold in that country though, there could be more delays and issues to get it serviced compared to your country of purchase depending on what needs to be fixed (may not be as much of an issue for an SSD failure?), so something else you may want to consider or look into if you have other options to solve it.

Good luck!

redorangebacon
06-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Curious if you work in the food service or hospitality industry, but if you haven't checked already and you're still interested in having it serviced, find out if your notebook includes international warranty or only local warranty in the country of purchase if cost is a factor at all.

Hopefully the ASUS support at your location can check the warranty status from your notebook serial number and let you know where the nearest service center is located or let me know if you want any help to check the warranty situation.
If your notebook model is not sold in that country though, there could be more delays and issues to get it serviced compared to your country of purchase depending on what needs to be fixed (may not be as much of an issue for an SSD failure?), so something else you may want to consider or look into if you have other options to solve it.

Good luck!
I'm In China, imported it from the states. Currently, according to Asus tech support, it isn't under warranty.
I bought it new, but apparently, if they're correct at least, it's either used or refurbished.
I'm currently pursuing that issue with Amazon.

redorangebacon
06-02-2018, 02:58 PM
I updated the BIOS, it still shows up as being SATA RAID only. Do you know of any other sites that offer ROG G Series BIOS updates?

OK still I ran my G752VY on the Raid Driver with my single 960 Pro for a year or so until they came out with the new BIOS that supported AHCI
This just mean that with your Single M.2 SSD install you'll have to download the latest RST Driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27681/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005) to your Install USB f6flpy-x64zip.
Unzip this driver to your MCT USB Install USB. Then during the install when your SSD doesn't show up look for a link the says I have a driver or Install driver something like that and point it to your USB and the unzipped RST folder, once that installs your SSD will be there to install windows to.
When you get your new SSD just install it and in disk management format it NTFS for storage Problem solved

about your BIOS Asus Support Downloads (https://www.asus.com/support/Download-Center/) register your notebook and all the latest drivers will be there for you. I don't advise using any BIOS upgrade from any other source you'll likley brick your notebook and warranty won't cover it.

We with the first generation of G752VY had to wait a few months for a BIOS upgrade that had AHCi, I can't imagine that your G701 wouldn't have a BIOS that support AHCI???? Why would Asus go backward for NVME that was solved a couple of years ago?

Clintlgm
06-09-2018, 04:12 PM
I updated the BIOS, it still shows up as being SATA RAID only. Do you know of any other sites that offer ROG G Series BIOS updates?

Well, then Clean Install Windows 10 using the IRST driver, if you don't have the option to use the AHCI then you'll have to install using the IRST driver There are no other choices it's one or the other. If you don't know how to do this pay a shop to do it for you.
It's really a simple procedure that has been used for many years and many versions of windows. A quick search on YouTube will show you step bt step. https://www.google.com/search?q=Video+how+to+install+windows+with+IRST+dr iver&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS773US775&oq=Video+how+to+install+windows+with+IRST+driver&aqs=chrome..69i57.14461j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You don't have to set up a RAID 0 or 1, just install the driver with one SSD installed and it will run on one single drive and if you add the 2nd SSD it also will run as a single drive.