PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-NH71 HDMI Output Problems

tehhunter
01-31-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm having some problems getting my tv to work as an external monitor. Currently when I hook up my laptop to my tv via HDMI, my tv will show the extended desktop or duplicated desktop (whichever I'm trying to use at the time) for about 5 seconds. After this, the tv screen goes completely black. I'm still able to get audio, but no video. Turning off the tv and turning it back on resets the video, but it goes back to black after another 5 seconds.

My video card drivers are up to date. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling them as well. Reinstalling did work on one occasion, but has failed every time since. All other drivers are up to date. I'm using native resolutions for both laptop and tv (1920x1080). I've tried using different hdmi cords, but that didn't help. I've also tried fn + f8 to no avail.

The tv I'm using is a Samsung LN40C630 1080p 120hz.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? Thanks in advance.

ColonelS
01-31-2012, 03:10 AM
have you try selecting the FN+F8 key? to switch your laptop display to TV?

edit: my bad saw that you tried the FN+F8 key..

dstrakele
01-31-2012, 03:11 AM
What version NVIDIA driver are you running?

At what refresh rate are you currently running the external monitor? If you change it, does the behavior change?

Do you observe the same behavior if you connect your laptop to a different TV?

tehhunter
01-31-2012, 03:19 AM
I'm using 285.62 for the driver.

The refresh rates for both the laptop and tv are set at 60hz in the nvidia control panel. Using the lower refresh rates for the tv changes nothing.

Unfortunately I don't have any other tv to test this out on.

dstrakele
01-31-2012, 03:25 AM
You may have to test it at a friend's house...unless they always are comin' over to your place to watch TV. ;>{)>

Did you boot into Safe Mode, choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox when updating to your current 285.62 driver?

tehhunter
01-31-2012, 03:57 AM
I figured out that it is a problem with my tv instead. I dusted off the PS3 and learned that the tv does the same thing with it too.

I threw a book at it in anger and it works again.

I'm guessing there's a problem with the inverter or power supply in the tv though.