PDA

View Full Version : What to do with new G74SX-NH71 ?

Mimmick
01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230142

I got my laptop in today...and im desperately wanting to install SW:TOR and immediately jump in and start playing...

BUT

I want to make sure that before I do anything gaming related that this computer is ready to go.

Do I need to unistall and reinstall everything before I jump into the game? Are the drivers up to date? Or is this bad boy ready to go now? Im not very computer suave. A friend referred this laptop to me. It's been 8 years since I last bought a computer, I had to buy this to get with the times....

Any help would be appreciated!

fuzon1337
01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi

To get the best performance you will need to update some of the hardware:
Atheros WiFi card
Intel Chipset
nVidia drivers

Getting rid off the bloatware that you don't need @Brodyboy got this list:

Intel chipset
Intel RST
Intel MEI
nVidia graphics
Realtek audio
Realtek cardreader
Realtek LAN
Atheros or Intel WLAN (and BT, if resent and needed)
Fresco USB 3.0
ATK Package

All other software that comes with you're new notebook, is optional other then that, this drivers listed is the one you should keep.
If you want to keep the bloatware that ASUS delivers it's up to you :)

Take a look at my thread New notebook? Look here! (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9082-New-notebook-Look-here!) :)

dstrakele
01-31-2012, 03:37 PM
The drivers on your new system may be somewhat outdated, but it should be a stable system. You should be able to just install SWTOR and start playing, but may find you can achieve better perfomance with a more recent NVIDIA driver.

I recommend you read http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9956-Thinking-of-joining-you-all..&p=67178&viewfull=1#post67178 which discusses testing your laptop to confirm everything works properly while you are still allowed to exchange or return it based on Newegg's exchange/return policy.

evgasr2
01-31-2012, 03:47 PM
man only thing you can do that is open the window and throw it out side. hehehehe
man i was joking , this baby is ready to go ,you dont have to do anything just install game thats all , you get good fps with this , but my poor g73 still dead. , im trying to transplant heart of it,.

esotericman
01-31-2012, 05:04 PM
I have the same model from Newegg as well. I decided to do a clean install and have had zero problems thus far. My only complaint is the sound, which is much lower than any other device I own. I think my analog watch has better sound...

I only play Lord of the Rings Online, and it renders it perfectly.

BrodyBoy
01-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Getting rid off the bloatware that you don't need @Brodyboy got this list:

Intel chipset
Intel RST
Intel MEI
nVidia graphics
Realtek audio
Realtek cardreader
Realtek LAN
Atheros or Intel WLAN (and BT, if resent and needed)
Fresco USB 3.0
ATK Package

All other software that comes with you're new notebook, is optional other then that, this drivers listed is the one you should keep.
I include the touchpad driver as well. The generic Microsoft driver works really well for basic functions, but if you want any of the multi-touch ("gesture") features, you'll need to the manufacurer's driver instead.

Mimmick
01-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone!