PDA

View Full Version : BIOS Flash - External Harddrive Not Recognized?

AdelaisAer
02-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Hey guys, so I FINALLY got my new G74SX and I wanted to flash the BIOS, but it didn't detect my external harddrive.

The instructions said to format it to FAT32, but the only option that was available for my external harddrive (other than NTFS) was exFAT, which supposedly is a better version of FAT32? Any way to make it work, or do I have to find some USB flash stick to use instead?

BrodyBoy
02-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Hey guys, so I FINALLY got my new G74SX and I wanted to flash the BIOS, but it didn't detect my external harddrive.

The instructions said to format it to FAT32, but the only option that was available for my external harddrive (other than NTFS) was exFAT, which supposedly is a better version of FAT32? Any way to make it work, or do I have to find some USB flash stick to use instead?
I wouldn't recommend an external hard drive.

Even if you have to buy a cheap one, use a USB thumbdrive, formatted to FAT32 only.

Signal2Noise
02-01-2012, 02:05 AM
If you can't wait until you get a thumb drive, which is highly recommended, an alternative method could be to use a CDR with the BIOS update burned to that then boot from CD.

AdelaisAer
02-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Thanks, guys. I used a USB thumb drive (formatted to FAT32) and the BIOS was flashed successfully! :D