PDA

View Full Version : G751JY Thermal Pad thicknesses?

dddwilliams
06-14-2018, 05:26 PM
I have an Asus ROG G751JY laptop that gets murderously hot when gaming particularly in 4k, now i pulled it apart once already and cleaned everything, put some Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut thermal paste, and i also cut 52MM holes with a holesaw over where both fans are in the base just awaiting for some grills to arrive and this has dramatically helped but i feel it still could be better. So i have some liquid metal conductanaut, nail polish, vinyl tape to do all this again but i am wondering whether it would alos be of benefit to replace the thermal pads as well, so my big question is what size/thickness will i need? This for example on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alphacool-0-5MM-W%C3%A4rmeleitpad-20x20mm-Eisschicht-17W-mk-Sarcon-XR-m-ThermalPad/121783288959?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 is inexpensive so i could easily buy a couple of these as i have a N750JV laptop i want to give the exact same treatment do, drilled holes and fan grills, liquid metal etc. I have tried an Asus repair centre near me of which has sold me components to do my own repairs, mouse touchpad, battery, might have to do a keyboard at some point (what a process that is lol) and they reckon they had no idea because as a rule they just reuse whats on there, but when it comes to running cooler and maybe having a little room for overclocking cooling the GPU memory especially let alone the rest better would no doubt be a benefit to everything. I use notebook fan control i have it set pretty aggressive which i feel for the time being keeps this laptop running as cool as possible! I have attached a screen of idle and under load temps. But yeah if anyone can point me in right direction on the thermal pads or whether the gaps are so tiny i could use the rest iof my Kyronaut i'd be very greatful! 1 other question i may as well ask so i don't have to open another thread is, i have a 512gb AHCI M2 in this laptop, that runs over one of the laptops 2 HDD bays, would it be possible to run a SATA SSD below it even if i had to remove the housing off that SATA SSD to make sure there was ample room between the two, also keep i mine i have 2 1TB WD Black 2.5'' drives installed one in the other bay and the second in an optical drive bay caddy!

Regards
David

Darnassus
06-15-2018, 09:43 PM
Nail Polish? Noooooooo!

dddwilliams
06-16-2018, 07:00 AM
For all the resarch i have done both clear nail polish and or conformal coating is what was used, so nobody can shed any light on the thickness of the thermal pads?

Clintlgm
06-16-2018, 08:53 PM
For all the resarch i have done both clear nail polish and or conformal coating is what was used, so nobody can shed any light on the thickness of the thermal pads?

You would take a quick look at the gaps you need to fill in and buy pads that will fill these gaps

BogdaRog
04-28-2019, 04:38 PM
Need to do the same, what temps u have when gaming?