PDA

View Full Version : G73jh Graphics Driver Nightmare

Dannyth3man
02-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Hello ROG community, I've hit a brick wall when attempting to upgrade my G73jh from the factory drivers to the current v12.1 update for my ATI HD 5870 card. After 3 attempts and 3 BSODs, I went straight to the ASUS support page where I was directed to reinstall the factory settings and then apply the update. Didn't work, so now I'm running without the video card and I feel like I'm on a computer from '03.
I am desperate for assistance on this matter and would love to finally have an up to date driver
Now I must warn you, I have no idea what I'm doing. I am an absolute novice who is now terrified to try and fix my computer.

ColonelS
02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
PM sent to you.. hope it helps..

xeromist
02-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Dannyth3man, do you know if a video BIOS/firmware update has ever been done on your machine?

ColonelS
02-03-2012, 02:32 AM
fixed~ just got back his pm~

dstrakele
02-03-2012, 02:43 AM
+1 @ColonelS! How did you help him?

ColonelS
02-03-2012, 03:04 AM
well i did the most basic 1st

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/colonelsoh/test.jpg

dstrakele
02-03-2012, 04:18 AM
A nice concise answer. @Danny - You can also congratulate yourself. For someone who wrote "Now I must warn you, I have no idea what I'm doing. I am an absolute novice who is now terrified to try and fix my computer. ", you did good...

neil5280
03-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I just joined the forum to say thank you for this thread.

I was having the same BSOD nightmare when trying to run the latest graphics driver.

I uninstalled all ATI software and drivers (as I was doing before) and downloaded the piriform ccleaner application.

I usedthe ccleaner application to remove temporary files (I unchecked all the other boxes that are defaulted to checked). I suspected that the issue was temporary files from previous installs.

I re-ran the driver installer from ATI website.

Everything went smoothly.

Thanks for pointing me to the piriform website. It would have taken me ages to track down the myriad of places that different applications place their temporary files.

namander
07-15-2012, 12:47 AM
I bought the G73JH last year and have had the same issue. I'd really like to install ATI drivers instead of the old asus drivers. Whats the best way to go about this if it's even possible. I'm tired of running on old drivers.

PS. I also updated the VBIOS a few months back

neil5280
07-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Definitely uninstall your drivers and run the periform application. Things should go smoothly after that.

Knight of Canada
07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi there,

I've had my asus g73jh for awhile. I tried updating my drivers a long time ago but I couldn't get it to work out. Could I get that same PM that was sent to the first poster so I could update my drivers please?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

neil5280
07-25-2012, 10:16 PM
It's just Piriform's CCleaner application: http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

wabniky
08-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi, i am having similar if not identical problems, with my G73JH, and its mobility radeon 5870 graphics card driver. the problem itself started when i wanted to play battlefield 3 and it game me errors like GSOD and at this point, the game will not even launch from battlelog.net and if i change my driver to anything else, it still says in the dxdiag that the driver is from 09' even though i download the driver from newer dates. if someone could pm me instructions on the fix, or a video, or something, it would be much appreciated.
PS: as for some other information, i also have gta4 and some other steam games, which run fine on the driver i have now, but GSOD on the driver that works with bf3, which is the beta driver from; http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx .

wabniky
08-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Never mind, the CCleaner fixed everything for me. thanks, now back to gaming :)