PDA

View Full Version : Battery Problem/Question

jpadilla
02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Last night my power brick got unplugged and the laptop died. No biggie I just plugged the power brick back in and restarted the laptop. For the rest of the night the battery charge light was not on, and windows told me it was plugged in and not charging. When I shutdown the laptop and unplugged the charger and plugged it back in the light came on. I thought great it is charging and went to bed. When I woke up this morning the light was flashing and the battery wasn't charged. I powered up the laptop before I left and it reported charging, but hadn't raised the % in 15 minutes of charging.

I guess I am wondering if it is the charging brick or the battery that is dead (hoping the charging brick cause batteries seemed freaking expensive). Any ideas on what I can do to test either out?

fuzon1337
02-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Which notebook do you have?

jpadilla
02-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Which notebook do you have?

sorry forgot to post that G73JH

dstrakele
02-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Have you tried removing the battery and reseating it?

How long have you had this laptop? Are you still within the time period of your retailer's return or exchange policy?

jpadilla
02-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Have you tried removing the battery and reseating it?

How long have you had this laptop? Are you still within the time period of your retailer's return or exchange policy?

Yes to reseating and not by a long shot on the r/e (Purchased April 2010)

dstrakele
02-02-2012, 04:47 PM
You can take the power brick to an electronics store to test it's output. If it meets specs, then you probably need a new battery. Or perhaps you could take your laptop back to the retailer and they may let you test with a display model battery or power brick.

ColonelS
02-03-2012, 03:28 AM
+1 dstrakele

try his method 1st

fostert
02-03-2012, 04:16 AM
If you've got a multimeter at home, check it yourself: set to DC volts, ground the black, and insert the red into the brick's output end while its plugged in. You should get the brick's rated voltage +/-10%. If you do then it is likely that your battery is toast, or less likely but still possible that at the high loads of powering the notebook plus charging, the power brick can't supply the rated current.

jpadilla
02-03-2012, 06:51 PM
If you've got a multimeter at home, check it yourself: set to DC volts, ground the black, and insert the red into the brick's output end while its plugged in. You should get the brick's rated voltage +/-10%. If you do then it is likely that your battery is toast, or less likely but still possible that at the high loads of powering the notebook plus charging, the power brick can't supply the rated current.

Well the brick is putting out exactly what it should be putting out, so all signs lead to the battery. Even when the notebook is off it can't charge it, so it isn't a load issue. This all happened the other night when my 2 year old unplugged the brick and I didn't realize it until the laptop was about to power off. When I saw it doing that I plugged the brick back in right when it went down. I am wondering if that cause something to flip in the battery. 21 months seems awfully short for a battery to go completely bad.

Time to go battery shopping, any good places online? it seems that I will spending around $110 :(

jpadilla
02-03-2012, 07:16 PM
okay I am sure you will all laugh but question.

My battery says on it +14.6V, 5200mAh, 75Wh

I have to replace it with exactly the same right?

I ask because the cheapest place I have found online is at http://www.laptopbatterymag.com/asus-07g016dh1875.htm
and they list their battery as 14.8V, 6600mAh

so would that be okay or not?

BrodyBoy
02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
okay I am sure you will all laugh but question.

My battery says on it +14.6V, 5200mAh, 75Wh

I have to replace it with exactly the same right?

I ask because the cheapest place I have found online is at http://www.laptopbatterymag.com/asus-07g016dh1875.htm
and they list their battery as 14.8V, 6600mAh

so would that be okay or not?
Yeah, it looks like it should work, assuming it's the same model number. That place seems to have a good guarantee/return policy if it doesn't.

The "mAh" figure (milliampheres) is a measure of its energy reserve capacity, so the replacement model should actually give you longer battery life.

fostert
02-04-2012, 05:34 PM
I think that would be fine. Output voltages of DC power supplies probably aren't tightly regulated and will vary by a couple % from spec at least anyways, and the extra amp-hours will certainly give you more mobility.