PDA

View Full Version : Tiliting of G74SX causes shut off?!?

rozwell911
02-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Hey all, i think i ran into my first hardware/battery problem...no biggie though, but i wanted to get your guys opinion.

--This situation only occurs when on battery power (Plugged in is fine) and only when the laptop is held or moved a specific way:

So long story short, i was moving my laptop off my lap and onto my desk while it was booting up and it randomly shut off.
I tested it about 10 times, and i could only get it to duplicate it the first 3 times out of the the 10 tries. 2 of the 3 times my left hand was on the battery. the 3rd time i tilted the laptop at an extream angle..So i inspected further....

1) I noticed that even though the battery is locked in, there is enough "play" that it shifts, possibly causeing it to lose connection enough that it shuts the computer off

2) If the computer is at an extream enough angel, it also causes the battery to shift enough to shut down

Again, i tested with the battery out and it pluged into AC power, and when pluged in, it does not do it...which leads me to the conclusion maybe bad battery or battery mounting area.

This is not a big deal for me, since i use a desk 99% of the time, and i am plugged in becasue i am working long periods of time...i mainly got a laptop for portability.

Has anyone else ever run into, or heard of a situation like this on the G74's?

houndazs
02-02-2012, 07:01 PM
i have heard of loose batteries before on many types of laptops, but usually happens over time. try this i know it sounds ghetto, but put some tape (duct tape, electrical tape) over the battery, as to secure it and see if the problem duplicates. if not then yes its the battery and i would get an RMA.

rozwell911
02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Thank you Houndazs!

I will try that after work today and log my findings. I did not think about that.

Honestly, to me, its not worth the time to RMA it since i am pluged into a outlet 99% of the time. It is also my primary desktop replacement.

So, if it gets worse or if something else happens where i absolutly NEED to RMA it, then i will mention the battery issue at that time.

......BUT, now that i think about it, there could be an Autherized ASUS repair facility in my area....i could look at that as well as an option....

thanks for the rely, you got me thinking more.

houndazs
02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
no problem. i don't think it is something that can be repaired per say, just modified to work. it sounds like a machining issue with the bottom plastics, or battery. may i suggest velcro to fix?

rozwell911
02-02-2012, 07:22 PM
no problem. i don't think it is something that can be repaired per say, just modified to work. it sounds like a machining issue with the bottom plastics, or battery. may i suggest velcro to fix?

I thought about that, or using felt tape (Like the use in automotive situations with door panel rattles). I figured one of those might fill enough space to revent movment, but not damage the unit.

ColonelS
02-03-2012, 02:27 AM
I had this problem with my *beyond recognition G74 Engineering sample* i stuck some tape and tighten the battery.

But then again, I would request for RMA, I mean you paid for the thing so rightfully you should deserved a fully working notebook be it with battery or w/o battery.

Best
Sawn

rozwell911
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
I had this problem with my *beyond recognition G74 Engineering sample* i stuck some tape and tighten the battery.

But then again, I would request for RMA, I mean you paid for the thing so rightfully you should deserved a fully working notebook be it with battery or w/o battery.

Best
Sawn

Sawn, you do seak wizdom. i should RMA it. I will find some time and call to see if there is a local rep, or if i have to ship it.

in the mean time, i did confirm the issue is battery mounting related...100%

houndazs
02-03-2012, 04:08 PM
if you request it ASUS will probably issue you an ARMA. Ask for it, you never know. An ARMA is when they ship you the good product, and you put the bad product in the box the good one came in, and slap the pre-paid shipping label on it, and drop it off to UPS.