PDA

View Full Version : Extra part came w/ G74SX-AH71. Help identify please?

Kerspoink
02-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Hello everyone,

This extra part came with my laptop, and I'm no techie, so I have no idea what this is. Can you please tell me what it is / what it is used for?

Thank you!

http://i.imgur.com/3aHvU.jpg

(I tried to add this image properly through the thread tools, but it kept saying invalid url D:)

BrodyBoy
02-03-2012, 09:49 AM
That's the accessory package for the 2nd HDD. If you want to add another hard drive, you attach it to that little PCB board, and the ribbon cable goes from that to the M/B connector. You would also need a drive caddy, but that's (hopefully) already in the drive bay.

Here's an idea of what it looks like installed (with the drive/caddy not seated in the drive bay yet):

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/G74 Hardware/SATAcable8.jpg

PS: The four little screws are for attaching the drive to the caddy.

dogla
02-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Does that come standard? I just ordered a G74SX with a 2nd harddrive bracket and was planning to swap the 1st HDD with a 90GB SSD, so I would definitely need a HDD bracket. But is that accessory standard and comes with the laptop or will I need to order that separately?

AQUASTEVAE
02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
yes. it comes with every unit. if you order a g74 with two drives, then it is already in there. if you order one with only one drive, then they include this piece in your box, for when you want to add another drive. hope this helps.

Makaizen
02-06-2012, 06:00 PM
yes. it comes with every unit. if you order a g74 with two drives, then it is already in there. if you order one with only one drive, then they include this piece in your box, for when you want to add another drive. hope this helps.

A quick question, do you get 4 or 2 screws? The bag that came with the connectors had a hole and I only managed to recover 2 so far...

BrodyBoy
02-06-2012, 07:32 PM
A quick question, do you get 4 or 2 screws? The bag that came with the connectors had a hole and I only managed to recover 2 so far...
There should have been four screws for attaching the drive caddy to the drive. But you could get by with two....just put them at opposite corners.

And there should be four slightly larger screws that secure the drive caddy to the chassis. These are more important, as some of them are also chassis screws (i.e., they go through and help secure the top cover).

BrodyBoy
02-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Does that come standard? I just ordered a G74SX with a 2nd harddrive bracket and was planning to swap the 1st HDD with a 90GB SSD, so I would definitely need a HDD bracket. But is that accessory standard and comes with the laptop or will I need to order that separately?

If the configuration you ordered already has two hard drives, it will definitely have all the needed parts already installed. If your getting a config with one HDD, check the packaging right away for the accessory package. It SHOULD be in there somewhere. If you don't find it, you can usually find the parts on eBay. (Asus parts sites will list them, but they seldom seem to have them in stock.)

Unfortunately, this isn't always true, even though it should be. :mad: There have been quite a few buyers of one-drive configs who didn't get the HDD accessories and had to buy them on eBay or elsewhere.

dogla
02-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Actually I ordered a one-drive unit and was going to buy the SSD seperately. Ok I'll check the box first thing when it arrives...
Thanx alot 4 the info.

Dsouth2
04-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Hello,

I have a Asus G74s and I can not located the cable/adapter needed to install a secondary hard drive. I've tried calling Asus to id the part and order it. After i confirmed what I needed I purchased the item from their estore, however the part I received was just the ribbon cable used to connected the Sata adapter to the Motherboard. After calling them back and getting the run around apparently they don't even know parts to their own products.

Does anyone know where I can get the adapter to install the secondary HD.

Thanks,

Derek

BrodyBoy
04-20-2012, 03:02 AM
Does anyone know where I can get the adapter to install the secondary HD.

Derek
Sometimes they show up on eBay, though I don't see any right now. The part you need is this one, as listed on the European AsusParts site:

G74SX SATA Bd. (http://www.asusparts.eu/product_info.php?cPath=67674_73347_222178_222179_2 22196&products_id=57794)

Moccamanden
04-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Would have been easier if they had just made 2 slide-in connectors, like in the G73Jh :)

Dsouth2
04-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks! so much for that info I googled the item # and found http://www.partstore.com/Part/AsusTeK+Computer+Inc./Asus/60N56HD1000D01/Refurbished.aspx

BrodyBoy
04-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks! so much for that info I googled the item # and found http://www.partstore.com/Part/AsusTeK+Computer+Inc./Asus/60N56HD1000D01/Refurbished.aspx
Thanks for sharing that!

This problem pops up occasionally, and so far, there hasn't been a reliable source in the U.S. Maybe there is now! :)