PDA

View Full Version : Undetectable graphics card after reinstalling windows

Aileron
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi, I recently reinstalled windows 7 on my Asus G73jh, and afterwards my graphics card isn't even showing up in device manager, and when I try to install any driver for my graphics card it just claims no hardware exist. I've updated just about every driver I know about, and used Driver Scanner which has updated every driver it can. Has anyone else had this problem, is there some important asus update I don't know about, or did my graphics card just happen to burn out during the installation?

dstrakele
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Do you have any devices listed under "Display adapters" in Device Manager? How about "Other devices"?

What Display Adapter is installed on your system?

What video driver versions did you attempt to install?

Aileron
02-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Under Display Adapters there is Standard VGA Graphics Adapter,
I've tried to install the 2 drivers off Asus' site under G73, and off of nvidia's site

dstrakele
02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
When I look on the ASUS Support Download site for G73jh drivers, it offers only one VGA driver; an ATI V8.683.0.0. Looking at specs for this laptop, I see it has an ATI 5870. If you've been attempting to install NVIDIA drivers, that should explain the reason for the error you report.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx has download links for the 2 most recent drivers from AMD (ATI).

Aileron
02-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Your right, I was actually looking at the updates for the wrong model, which means I'll have to download quite a few more drivers/updates,

I don't know if this solves my problem or not yet, but thanks

dstrakele
02-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Be aware the drivers on the ASUS site are very out-of-date. I recommend using them only to determine what driver developer's site you go to for the most recent drivers.