PDA

View Full Version : G73jh- LCD issues

JamesonD
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Ok, a few months ago, I was having issues with random crashes while gaming. After a clean W7 install, driver updates, and very minimal software installations, I got the crashing issue down to a point where it is only mildy annoying. Meaning once or twice a week. About a week ago I had a crash, that without being able to articulate how, seemed to a a lot "harder" than the normal. Since then, when I boot the computer, the LCD doesn't work. It makes all the right sounds, and I can hear Windows start up. If I unplug the AC Adapter, take the battery out, unplug anything in the USB slots, and let it sit for a few minutes, I can get it to start up under battery power after several repeated attempts. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, sometimes it takes an hour. Once it has started up, it runs normal and all is well until time to shut it down and put it away. Then when I go to use it again, it's back to the "process" of getting it to start upwith the monitor on again. I am at a total loss for what could be causing this. Any ideas?

dstrakele
02-03-2012, 05:49 PM
If you connect your laptop to an external monitor or LCD TV via HDMI or VGA ports does it display video while your laptop display does not?

JamesonD
02-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I haven't tried that yet. That would tell me if the video card was ok, correct? If it were to display on another monitor, what would be the next step? If not, then where do I go from there?

dstrakele
02-03-2012, 06:02 PM
If the external monitor displays video and the laptop display does not, it would indicate the GPU is functioning and there may be a problem with your laptop's video cable or the cable connection. You'd then look at options to repair your laptop.

The video in this post may be what you are experiencing: http://forum.notebookreview.com/8053788-post30.html

JamesonD
02-08-2012, 04:44 AM
Ok, sorry it took so long to get back here. My work schedule blew up on me and I haven't had time to even open my computer. Tonight when I fired it up, it was the same issue. Several restarts to get it working again. When the screen didn't come on, I took it and hooked it up via HDMI to one of our flat screen TV's restarted it a couple of times. No display. So, then I drug an old flat screen monitor out of the garage and did the same thing with negative results.

I did notice tonight, that the computer battery was just a hair below 80%. I had also checked my battery status on theother occasions I hadgonethrough this, and not once before was it above 80%. I am curious if this may be related. In researching this issue a week or so ago, I stumbled upon a post at Tom's Hardware by a guy who described an issue that is nearly exactly what I am going through. He posted an update stating that he was able to get his computer to start up right if he unplugged it and drained the battery and then plugged it in. Nobody ever answered his post, and he never posted again.

Do you think that there is a relationship between the power level and how the computer starts up, or is it just a coincidence that it only seems to work when battery is drained a little? I'm not opposed to tearing it apart and fixing it, but I just want to make sure I fix the right thing. I don't want to be dealing with my accountant (who sleeps next to me) replacing one part after another until I find the right one. RMA is also out of the question, because I bought a refurbished unit in order toget a good gaming laptop past the accountant.

dstrakele
02-08-2012, 05:33 AM
The fact that you cannot get video on both the laptop display and the HDMI-connected monitor most likely indicates a problem with the GPU.

I don't understand this issue well enough to know if it is related to the power supply. I can imagine if the power supplied is insufficient, there may not be enought to power the LCD display, but that shouldn't affect the external monitor with its own power supply.

As I understand it, if you drain the battery completely, it resets the battery monitoring. It's possible, even though your battery displays 80%, it may have much less in reserve. If you completely drain your battery, then recharge it, does it change the behavior?

What is the current wear level on your battery as displayed in HWINFO64?

In this thread (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/641513-i-found-black-sheep-my-laptop-power-adapter-hehehehe.html) it is concluded that lower wattage adapters can boot Windows on a G73. It was determined the black screen on this case was most likely due to a faulty GPU.

ColonelS
02-08-2012, 06:08 AM
I'm suspecting a battery drained issue, but then again could be the GPU like dstrakele mentioned

"The fact that you cannot get video on both the laptop display and the HDMI-connected monitor most likely indicates a problem with the GPU."

JamesonD
02-08-2012, 04:12 PM
So, lastnight before I went to bed, I unplugged the computer and left it on. I woke up to a completely dead battery. I plugged the computer in and turned it on and it fired right up on the first try. I restarted it, and it fired right up on the second try. I'm starting to really think that it has something to do with the state of the battery. This being only my second laptop, I am admittedly ignorant as to how the computer adjusts it's self based on the battery state. If this issue really is caused by the battery, what steps should I be looking at taking to get it resolved? Other than the obvious step of replacing the battery.

dstrakele
02-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Now that your battery calibration is reset, you could be okay. If not, drain the battery again. If this fails, get a new battery.

JamesonD
02-10-2012, 01:47 AM
So far, so good. Anybody know why? Pardon my ignorance.

dstrakele
02-10-2012, 02:01 AM
It could be some weird power management issue that ties in to the battery monitor. Computers can be strange beasties...

JamesonD
02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Alright. After a week or so of making it work, I experienced another "hard" crash, and now the LCD won't fire up at all. No matter what state the battery is in, no matter whether it is plugged in, or if any peripherals are plugged in. Since the LCD won't light up on post, and I get nothing on external monitor or HDMI, is it safe to assume the GPU is toast, or is there something else I should try before I order one up?

dstrakele
02-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Unplug the laptop, unplug all peripheral devices, remove the battery, press the power on button and hold for 30 seconds, then plug in the power adapter and boot it. Does the LCD panel now display video?

If video returns, try the recommendations in http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/why-is-my-screen-black-when-i-start-windows-7

JamesonD
02-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Actually, yes, fired right up. So, what does that mean?

dstrakele
02-22-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm uncertain what it means... Maybe you're livin' right... I don't know. If I had to guess, maybe it resets something in the laptop. Unfortunately, it may also mean you have an unresolved problem that requires such a reset. Could be tied in with a faulty battery?

What version video driver are you currently running?

Maybe someone more knowledgeable in these matters can chime in?

JamesonD
02-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Well, I figured it wasn't the driver because on POST, the screen lights before the video drivers are loaded (when it is working properly). Either way, I am using Driver version 8.920.0.0 Dated 11/9/2011. Could this phantom issue also be what's causing my crashes to begin with?

JamesonD
02-23-2012, 02:39 PM
I played lastnight and it worked fine, but I still don't know what the main issue is.

JamesonD
02-24-2012, 01:05 AM
I knew I should have tried to fix it lastnight instead of playing. What exactly does the reset in post #13 by dstrakele do? Cause now it isn't working.