PDA

View Full Version : g74sx-rh71 wireless help

hawtkarl
02-04-2012, 01:58 AM
Hey guys just bought a g74sx-rh71 and my wireless d/l speed is PAINFULLY slow. im downloading star wars the old republic at about 180.00 kb/s and my old crappy laptop would download it at about 1.5mb/s . also anything else i download is about equally as slow. are there any drivers i need to update for my wireless card maybe, and where can i get them if i do? is there anything else i can do to help this problem as it is killing me to have my new laptop going this slow. any help is greatley appreciated. thanx guys!

jdp568
02-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Could it be a problem with your router or isp?

hawtkarl
02-04-2012, 02:25 AM
im not sure. should i have to configure anything new for my new laptop? i just used the windows set up to connect to the wireless i have. my old lap top is still currently working and the internet is running fine.

dstrakele
02-04-2012, 03:27 AM
If you've got an Atheros WLAN card, confirm your Atheros driver is version 9.2.1.432 or later. The earlier version has bad DPC Latency, which may affect download performance. The OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's' Sticky thread has a link to the more recent drivers.

There may be other drivers on your system contributing to DPC Latency. Get DPC Latency Checker from the thread I referenced to confirm you've got this issue licked.

Are you getting a good wireless signal? I have seen posts where one or both of the WLAN antennas were disconnected, resulting in a very weak signal and poor performance.

hawtkarl
02-04-2012, 09:04 AM
sorry im a super new when it comes to this sort of stuff. how do i check which drivers i have, and where could i get the new ones? appreciate the help thanks alot.

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 09:12 AM
sorry im a super new when it comes to this sort of stuff. how do i check which drivers i have, and where could i get the new ones? appreciate the help thanks alot.
You can find the current driver info in Device Manager:

Open Device Manager (either through Control Panel, or START -> search "Device Manager" -> enter)
Click on the Network Adapters section to expand it
Double-click on the wireless card entry (if it's an Atheros card, it'll have "Atheros" in the name)
A Properties box opens; select the "Driver" tab and you'll see your current driver version

Here's a link (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921470.zip) for the latest Atheros WLAN driver. Be sure to uninstall the old driver before installing a new one.

hawtkarl
02-06-2012, 06:00 AM
thanks alot for your help this helped out big time. appreciate the help everyone!

ColonelS
02-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Brodyboy to the rescue!