PDA

View Full Version : Partition question

Makaizen
02-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Hi everyone.

I am new here and I just received my G74sx the other day. I wanted to ask how I could merge partitions.
The computer came with an OS with 186GB and a Data partition with 254GB. While I can shrink/extend the Data partition, I cannot do the same on the OS. Is my only option to fix this issue is a clean install? Or is there a program that can allow me to add space to the OS partition.

I have found many posts that are really useful and I hope I can contribute to this forum too!

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Hi everyone.

I am new here and I just received my G74sx the other day. I wanted to ask how I could merge partitions.
The computer came with an OS with 186GB and a Data partition with 254GB. While I can shrink/extend the Data partition, I cannot do the same on the OS. Is my only option to fix this issue is a clean install? Or is there a program that can allow me to add space to the OS partition.

I have found many posts that are really useful and I hope I can contribute to this forum too!
I don't quite understand what the ussue is. Is it that you want a larger OS partition and smaller data partition? Or no data partition at all?

Re-reading your post, I'll assume it's the latter....that you just want one single partition. If that's the case, it's pretty easy.

Back up everything you need from the data partition.
Open Disk Management and locate your hard drive in the graphical display.
Right-click on the D: partition, and select "Delete Volume." Confirm the deletion.
Right-click on the C: partition, and select "Extend Volume." The default settings in the Extend Volume wizard use all available space, so keep the defaults to use the entire disk (sans recovery partition) for the C: volume.

That's it. :)

Signal2Noise
02-04-2012, 07:11 AM
While BrodyBoy provided the OP with what I believe is the correct response to the initial question allow me to give other advice:

PARTITIONS ARE AWESOME!

Keep the OS on its own partition for easy backups/imaging/recovery/virus scans. Everything else on one or a few other partitions. For example I keep Windows on its own partition, software apps on one partion, games on another, and everything (downloads, data, etc.) else on a miscellaneous partition.

It appears the OP has a smallish HDD of 500GB or so? Which model?

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 07:37 AM
It appears the OP has a smallish HDD of 500GB or so? Which model?
There are some G74 configurations that ship with a single 500Gb HDD, or two 500Gb drives.

I like partitions, too (:)) and personally, I prefer to keep Windows and programs on their own smallish partition and put all user data elsewhere. But there's no right & wrong in setting up partitions......if MaKaizen wants to do it another way, that's cool, too. Lots of owners seem to prefer simplified partitioning over the stock OEM set-up.

Makaizen
02-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Sorry if my question was confusing.

The issue is that I can't extend the OS C: partition even after deleting the D: Data partition

The reason I'm going to use a single partition is , at least to my understanding, that I can't move "Program Files" that is in C: over to D:. Therefore, I can't have the setup Signal2Noise suggested.

This PC is the TH71 model that has a 500GB HDD btw.

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Sorry if my question was confusing.

The issue is that I can't extend the OS C: partition even after deleting the D: Data partition
Are there any other partitions on the disk? If the unallocated space is adjacent to the C: partition, you should be able to add it. I've done this many times.

What happens when you try? Could you post a screenshot of Disk Management, to help provide more complete info? Maybe we'll see something there that's causing the issue....

Makaizen
02-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Are there any other partitions on the disk? If the unallocated space is adjacent to the C: partition, you should be able to add it. I've done this many times.

What happens when you try? Could you post a screenshot of Disk Management, to help provide more complete info? Maybe we'll see something there that's causing the issue....

Here is a screenshot of disk management. I have the ability to shrink the volume but not add the free space.

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 07:31 PM
I believe it's because the space is designated as "Free Space" rather than "Unallocated." When you right-click on the free space, do you have the option to "Delete Partition"?

Note that there's a diffrence between these two kinds of unused space. Only unallocated space can be added to existing partitions.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/discmgmt_deletepartition.jpg

Makaizen
02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I believe it's because the space is designated as "Free Space" rather than "Unallocated." When you right-click on the free space, do you have the option to "Delete Partition"?

Note that there's a diffrence between these two kinds of unused space. Only unallocated space can be added to existing partitions.

Ahh! Thank you! I delete the free space so now I can add space to C:. I learned something new today. :D

The other question I'm confused about is that if I were to place my program files in another partition other than C:, as Signal2Noise suggested, would I have to do a clean install?

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 07:58 PM
The other question I'm confused about is that if I were to place my program files in another partition other than C:, as Signal2Noise suggested, would I have to do a clean install?

No. The easiest ways to "divert" files from the OS partitions are:

(1) Move your libraries in WIndows Explorer. By default, they are on the C: partition, but it's very customizable. I have moved all my data libraries (Photos, Videos, Documents, Music, and some others I've added) to partitions on my other drive. So by default, data gets saved there.

(2) If you don't even want programs on the C: drive, select an alternate location during installation. You've probably noticed that most programs give you an option, during their setup routine, to change the install location. Much better to do it then than try to move them later. Some programs will still go on the C: drive, but I wouldn't worry about that....it won't add up to much space.

Signal2Noise
02-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Glad to see you've got things going, Makaizen. BrodyBoy has pretty much summed up the partitioning methodology. Enjoy your G74SX!