PDA

View Full Version : First thing to do with new G74sx?

AC3OFSPADES
02-04-2012, 10:02 AM
So mine will be delivered tomorrow and am just wondering what are some suggestions for what I should do. I dont really consider myself too knowledgeable but I'm enough of a techie to get by. I'll be going through and for sure getting rid of the bloatware and I have thought of doing just a clean OS install (Just pop the disc in a go I'm assuming? (don't judge)) but anything else I should do/download to keep everything running well?

panth3ra
02-04-2012, 02:53 PM
First thing to do with new G74sx?

RTFM and this forum :)

Invincible
02-04-2012, 02:58 PM
So mine will be delivered tomorrow and am just wondering what are some suggestions for what I should do. I dont really consider myself too knowledgeable but I'm enough of a techie to get by. I'll be going through and for sure getting rid of the bloatware and I have thought of doing just a clean OS install (Just pop the disc in a go I'm assuming? (don't judge)) but anything else I should do/download to keep everything running well?

After first start you have to pass through basic setting of OS and login as admin/new user it's look alike you just finished install your new OS that will mean that device absolutely new
After passing this procedures you will have fully functional device with all required drivers/software
Check Display for dead pixels and quality of back light from different viewing angles that's actualy all
Then you may star asus live tool to update drivers/bios
And install fresh Direct X software from Microsoft site
Enjoi your device

fostert
02-04-2012, 03:35 PM
@ac3ofspades: the absolute best way to experience all the power and speed the G74 has to offer is a clean install. From scratch. Grab the Windows 7 install DVD from driver threads in this forum, or digitalriver. Repartition (if you want a different partitioning scheme), reformat each new partition (or the old ones if you're keeping them), install windows, activate with product key on the sticker on the underside of your notebook. The only original program you need from ASUS to install on the fresh windows system is the ATK package (Asus key bindings to allow you to control screen brightness, keyboard backlight, wireless on/off, etc through key combinations): grab version 14 from these forums. The rest of the ASUS apps are drive pollution, IMHO. I have nothing else from ASUS on my windows partition, but windows is not my principal OS on my G74.

If you know exactly what you want to use the machine for and don't ever want to restore the machine to the original windows 7 install state with all the asus useless-ware bloating it up, then you can turf the 25GB partition at the beginning of the drive and give yourself that extra space when you repartition the drive in prep for the clean install. Otherwise many fellas on these forums leave it alone and live with it, JIC I guess.

kz9
02-04-2012, 05:29 PM
I say top up the RAM and instll SSD. Its a beast after that.

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM

It sounds like you want to take your time....good idea. :) Don't rush into a clean install or changes you don't understand very well. Sometimes people immediately start changing drivers and deleting this and that, or even diving into a clean install before they know how to do one.....and then when the machine is all FUBAR, troubleshooting is a mess because they aren't even sure what all they did. ("one guy said to do this, a thread somewhere said to do that, bob-in-timbuktu said to do some boot-up tweaks" and so on....)

Just play with it for a few days. Test out its hardware, get familiar with the OEM software setup, even you intend to do a clean install. In the first week or so, you really want to check it for the common G74 hardware issues......touchpad and keyboard especially....if it has any of that stuff out-of-the-box, try the basic fixits, but if they don't work, return it and get a different one. (As much as that sounds like a pain, believe me, it'll save a lot of headaches in the long run.)

If it has an Atheros WLAN card, you should probably update its driver, since Asus still ships with the old glitchy one. And you can start unintsalling known bloatware whenever you want. But in general, there's not a ton of changes you have to make right away.

rozwell911
02-04-2012, 07:56 PM
It sounds like you want to take your time....good idea. :) Don't rush into a clean install or changes you don't understand very well. Sometimes people immediately start changing drivers and deleting this and that, or even diving into a clean install before they know how to do one.....and then when the machine is all FUBAR, troubleshooting is a mess because they aren't even sure what all they did. ("one guy said to do this, a thread somewhere said to do that, bob-in-timbuktu said to do some boot-up tweaks" and so on....)

Just play with it for a few days. Test out its hardware, get familiar with the OEM software setup, even you intend to do a clean install. In the first week or so, you really want to check it for the common G74 hardware issues......touchpad and keyboard especially....if it has any of that stuff out-of-the-box, try the basic fixits, but if they don't work, return it and get a different one. (As much as that sounds like a pain, believe me, it'll save a lot of headaches in the long run.)

If it has an Atheros WLAN card, you should probably update its driver, since Asus still ships with the old glitchy one. And you can start unintsalling known bloatware whenever you want. But in general, there's not a ton of changes you have to make right away.

Brodyboy speaks wizdom.

I just got my G74 2 weeks ago....lots of people were saying to to a clean install and start fresh..(Well lots of posts on different threads)...BUT, with a new computer, i am not personally comfortable with that only becuase i have never used widows 7 (i upgraded from XP with this new G74) and i want to see how the hardware interacts with the the software currently loaded...i am of the group "if it aint broke, dont fix it". And so far it has worked out...
I did remove some of the bloate ware i do not need though, and updated drivers to the latest and greatest...so far so good.

dstrakele
02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I recommend you test all the components of your laptop while you are still within the time period of your retailer's exchange/return policy. See post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9956-Thinking-of-joining-you-all..&p=67178&viewfull=1#post67178

AC3OFSPADES
02-05-2012, 02:36 AM
So I'm sure this has been answered before but what of the bloatware is deleteable? Mine only came with a 500 gb HD and the way its seperated is 186 to the C and 254 for D. So first off i dont know where the other 60gb of HD space is but the C is the one where everything is installed to and I've already gone through and removed a couple things i know for sure can be deleted. but what specific programs/folders can I remove?

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 03:00 AM
So I'm sure this has been answered before but what of the bloatware is deleteable? Mine only came with a 500 gb HD and the way its seperated is 186 to the C and 254 for D. So first off i dont know where the other 60gb of HD space is but the C is the one where everything is installed to and I've already gone through and removed a couple things i know for sure can be deleted. but what specific programs/folders can I remove?
Every partition loses a certain percentage to the internal housekeeping files, and 25Gb is used for the recovery partition.

Virtually all of the Asus-labeled utilities are expendable, except the ATK package, which is a driver. AI Recovery is one program you may wish to use first, to make a set of recovery DVDs, before you uninstall it.

There's also a category of programs, like Nuance pdf viewer, or the Trend Micro trial, that are redundant and/or unnecessary for most users. (Most of us just use Adobe Reader and have our own preferred security software.)

You don't generally want to delete programs and their files, but rather, uninstall them in Control Panel.

fostert
02-05-2012, 04:27 AM
You've got the 25GB hidden partition on there too: 25+186+254=465GB. HDD manufacturers count the number of bytes on their platters "literally"; i.e. a 500GB HDD is 500,000,000,000 bytes. Partition software counts a kB as 1024 bytes, a MB as 1024kB, and a GB as 1024MB. So 465 GB of partitioned space is 499,289,948,160 bytes, or "literally" ~~500 GB.

dabigin
02-05-2012, 06:22 AM
I'll be using my Tax Return with money left over from college funding to get myself setup with a new laptop as well.

I'll most likely do a inspection of the Laptop for any defects or dead pixels then turn it on (without the battery inside) and load windows to make sure its functioning normally. Reason I'm doing this without the battery is because I want to cycle the battery properly when I get the laptop. After starting windows I will go and update the bios if needed (if the system is working great there is no reason to mess with it). I'll run the windows 7 updates and get my Computer setup with Office as well as the video games (SWTOR TRIBES ASCEND BETA and DCU MW3 and COD:WAW and SC2 (possibly wow LMAO)) I would like to play. Not to mention install microsoft security essentials plus malwarebytes anti malware and superantispyware. I'll remove any and all bloatware from the system and go deep into the control panel and turn off services I dont need. After that a little msconfig and disabling any programs that will bog the system down that i dont need (annoying apple, java, adobe updaters as well as messengers that start up when the system turns on). I'll also be looking at installing a few copy's of windows plus linux and mac os's on Virtual Machine for classes that I am taking (learning MS DOS and Linux and apple os commands (dont laugh its serious!)). Installing a C++ program as well as setting it up for video and voice chat after that and pretty much thats all she wrote on that. Oh and plus I'll be getting my blu ray player on the system I'm getting raring to go with whatever codec's or programs needed to play the blu ray's. Not to mention the Recovery disk's. That will most likely be the very first thing I do. Mainly because I have done complete setups and not been able to make the Recovery Disk's. Its a huge hassle. But considering I'll be running Windows 8 soon it shouldn't matter.

I hope this wasn't to boring of a read. I hope your enjoying your new beast...I'm waiting on mine.

Frag hard and Kill many....and Die if you see me in a FPS. Bigin out!