PDA

View Full Version : [G74Sx-BBK7] Upgrading screen from 900p to 1080p

Dv9UnKnoWn
02-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Well, I want a full HD screen and I'm not sure what to do because the following website HERE (http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/ASUS/G74SX-BBK7/) says that I need to have a screen with the same size, resolution and backlight type as my original.

Can anyone recommend which screen I should buy?

BrodyBoy
02-04-2012, 08:11 PM
If you trust that seller, it appears they offer a couple Full HD options you can try....glossy and matte.

Bastian
02-05-2012, 05:21 PM
I just replaced the screen on G73-JH with a 1920 X 1080 (glossy) screen from this company. The screen quality is great and no dead pixels . I received the screen in 3 days FedEX shipping. The only true test of a company is when you have a problem but so far I've had no problems with my new screen.:)

Dv9UnKnoWn
02-05-2012, 05:59 PM
OK, Thanks guys. :D

Werewolf13
02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Minor highjack here but how in the heck does one go about replacing the screen on a laptop?

Dv9UnKnoWn
02-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Minor highjack here but how in the heck does one go about replacing the screen on a laptop?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4741-G74SX-BBK7-%28Best-Buy-version%29-LCD-Upgrade-complete!

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 06:42 PM
I just replaced the screen on G73-JH with a 1920 X 1080 (glossy) screen from this company. The screen quality is great and no dead pixels . I received the screen in 3 days FedEX shipping. The only true test of a company is when you have a problem but so far I've had no problems with my new screen.:)
Great feedback, Bastian I'm considering replacing the display on my N73, and your experience makes me more comfortable buying from a company like that (i.e., one I've never heard of! ;)) I'll probably give it a go, now that LED displays are so cheap.

JKB0076
02-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Looks like prices have dropped on these. Now the question remains, Matte or glossy, hmmmmm???

Bastian, how would you rate the skill needed to replace the screen?

I've build all my own desktops from bottom up.

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Looks like prices have dropped on these. Now the question remains, Matte or glossy, hmmmmm???

Bastian, how would you rate the skill needed to replace the screen?

I've build all my own desktops from bottom up.
I've replaced other laptop displays, and the only tricky part I've ever run into is not damaging the little screw covers on the LCD frame. Some designs try to make those almost invisible...smooth and continuous with the frame surface.....so getting them out without messing them up takes a lot of patience. But once you're in there, the rest is pretty self-explanatory.

JKB0076
02-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I've replaced other laptop displays, and the only tricky part I've ever run into is not damaging the little screw covers on the LCD frame. Some designs try to make those almost invisible...smooth and continuous with the frame surface.....so getting them out without messing them up takes a lot of patience. But once you're in there, the rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Good deal!

I'm going to order one of these screens. I just have to decide, glossy or matte now.

My other question is with the higher res, games will take a FPS hit. When I hook my laptop up to my 24" 1900x1200 monitor, the hit is pretty significant. Would it be about the same with 1900x1080 on a 17.3" screen or less of a hit being it's a smaller display and slightly less res?

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Good deal!

I'm going to order one of these screens. I just have to decide, glossy or matte now.

My other question is with the higher res, games will take a FPS hit. When I hook my laptop up to my 24" 1900x1200 monitor, the hit is pretty significant. Would it be about the same with 1900x1080 on a 17.3" screen or less of a hit being it's a smaller display and slightly less res?
It's only the resolution that makes a difference, not the actual dimensions of the display. So yeah, I imagine you'll see a difference in some games. I'm sure it makes a big difference which GPU you have and how much dedicated memory it has.

My N73 has a "lesser" 400 series nVidia chip that would probably be overwhelmed trying to output games at 1920x1080, but I don't use it for that anyway. In fact, I don't even need or want the higher resolution....I just really find the Asus 1600x900 display to be really poor quality and I've never gotten used to it. :(

JKB0076
02-05-2012, 11:57 PM
For the record I'm going with matte.

I report back in when I get it and installed. :)

JKB0076
02-06-2012, 12:11 AM
For the record I'm going with matte.

I report back in when I get it and installed. :)

or not.

I'm having issues with that site. It won't let me check out as a guest. So I try to create an account and it says my email is already used for an account. I know I never sat up an account there but I entertain the request of a password retrieval. After that it says my email is not in their database. :confused:

BrodyBoy
02-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Hmm....I ordered one for my N73 and didn't have any issues. (I went with glossy.)

JKB0076
02-06-2012, 01:23 AM
I got it to work. Used my old email then went back in after I created my account switched it to my main. I don't no what the problem was but it's working now.

I'm still debating between glossy and matte before I pull the trigger.

Sloppy
02-07-2012, 02:49 AM
i upgraded to the matte screen as well. the best upgrade i did for my lappy. if you have any questions feel free to ask

JKB0076
02-07-2012, 03:47 AM
i upgraded to the matte screen as well. the best upgrade i did for my lappy. if you have any questions feel free to ask

From the company in the OP and that actual model # linked? If so what manufacture was the screen?

Seile
02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
A tip for the screw covers on the LCD bezel is to use sharp dental tools like '22579' in the following picture.
2nd tip is to always cover your LCD with something while you are working on it... something like a microfiber cloth would do. It's to prevent damage to the LCD incase your screw driver or tool slip :)

http://www.indigo.com/images/product/22.jpg

BrodyBoy
02-10-2012, 04:01 AM
I got the Full HD upgrade that I order for my N73 today, and just installed it.

Though the site (I ordered from the one previously mentioned here) doesn't seem to specify manufacturers in their listings, the one I got turned out to be an LG. My first impression, without yet having compared side-by-side with the G74's Full HD downstairs, is that it's not quite as good as the G74 panel, but it's a definite improvement over the 1600x900 panel I had before. (The the same panel that's used in the HD+ G74 configurations.)

JKB0076
02-12-2012, 06:34 PM
As much as I want a new screen I've decided to hold off for a bit. I'm just worried about the reliability and voided warranty issues. I've read enough to know that there is some cheap hardware integrated in this laptop with a good chance of failure. Specifically keyboards and trackpads. my shiftkey is already troublesome and my left trackpad button is drooping lower then the right. If these fail completely, I'd like that MW to still be good.

BrodyBoy
02-12-2012, 08:05 PM
As much as I want a new screen I've decided to hold off for a bit. I'm just worried about the reliability and voided warranty issues. I've read enough to know that there is some cheap hardware integrated in this laptop with a good chance of failure. Specifically keyboards and trackpads. my shiftkey is already troublesome and my left trackpad button is drooping lower then the right. If these fail completely, I'd like that MW to still be good.

I don't think a display upgrade would void your warranty, but I certainly understand the concern. This is definitely one piece of equipment where you want to retain access to warranty-covered repair!

As to the other issues you mentioned, there are options for user-repairs if you want to try to address those before RMAing one day. If the shift key tends to be unresponsive sometimes, there's a brave owner who discovered a way to "pad" the contact between the key cover and the underlying button.

And the sagging touchpad bar is the result of a loose screw. Two little screws hold the button assembly in place and secure it tightly against the back of the palmrest. This is one you should probably address, because if it's loose, it'll probably work its way free sooner or later. Here's a shot showing where the two screws are located (the loose one on your machine is the one that's actually installed in this photo):

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/G74%20Touchpad/buttonassemblyscrews.png

g74sx_dubrovnik
10-29-2012, 04:27 PM

Sloppy, can you please help me?
I have G74sx-BBK7 with 1600x900 screen, but I have gtx 560m 3d capable, so I want to replace my screen with 1920x1080 120 Hz to be able to use 3d.
I was searching for that screen on laptopscreen web page, and I found that only one available is the one for G74SX-91171V (3D). The problem is, my screen has 40 pin LED socket, and the one which I found for G74SX-91171V (3D) is 50 pin data connector.
Can you please tell me which screen did you buy, and is it 3d capable (120Hz)? If not, where can I find on internet 120Hz, 1920x1080 3d screen for my BBK7?
Your help is much appreciated :)

Aphilli4
10-31-2012, 02:34 AM
You can't put 3D or 120mhz in a BBK7. You can go to 1080 though. Just did mine this evening. I ordered a Matte 1080 screen because the glare , bad view angle and dark corners on the 1600x900 were driving me nuts. Out of warranty now so what the hell why not, took about an hour to do. Extremely worth it. More worth while than the 8 more gigs of matching ram I added. I want to go for a WIDI card and SSD yet.

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/ASUS/G74SX/

My screen had a left side connector looking from the back of the screen.