PDA

View Full Version : Going to get a new ROG laptop...planning future upgrades.

dabigin
02-05-2012, 06:08 AM
I'm going to get the G53SX-DH71 laptop off amazon this week. I think its a great deal even if its priced at almost 1650 dollars. In the near future I'm looking to upgrade it with 4 more gigs or ram making it out to 16 gigs of ram and buying a Sata 3 SSD so I can load in 10 second flat. I'm just waiting for a little bit bigger of a hard drive. One problem I forsee is that I'll have to get rid of my recovery partition on my 1.5TB hard drive and I was hoping there might be a way around that or at least make it so I can keep the recovery partition in tact. (I'm also going to have backup DVD for recovery). One of the main reasons I'm getting this system is because I want a system to play Tribes on as well as the new SWTOR and run a few VM's of different operating systems for College learning while turning quite a few heads in the process. I can't wait to pull that bad boy out and get to work.

If anyone has suggestions for hard drives let me know. I'm going Corsair for my memory. As far as solid states go I'm going for best price and highest speed and capacity. over 200 gig's preferrably. A shot in the dark but I figured I would give it a shot. TRIM SUPPORT IS MANDITORY (not putting alot of money into a hard drive to have it fail)

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 06:31 AM
One problem I forsee is that I'll have to get rid of my recovery partition on my 1.5TB hard drive and I was hoping there might be a way around that or at least make it so I can keep the recovery partition in tact.
If you are saying that you want a way to replace the 750Gb HDD but still keep the recovery partition on the new drive, there are a couple options:

(1) Image the old drive, including all partitions, and restore tot he new drive. (This may require 3rd-party partitioning tools.)

(2) Do a factory restore to your new HDD when you get it (from the set of DVDs you said you'll make). Delete the restored OS partition, leaving just the recovery partition, and partition the rest of the HDD as desired.

dabigin
02-05-2012, 06:45 AM
I dont know exactly how Asus setup the partitions but the Laptop I'm buying has a 1.5 TB hard drive (pretty crazy for a laptop) and I have new copy of norton ghost just waiting for me to install it. I was wanting to wait to do the partition stuff until I can build myself a hard drive cloning rig. Will most likely wait a year before doing multiple partitions. Not needed since I can use Virtual Machines for the Pc Operating system stuff I'm working on currently. Thanks for the advice.

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 07:11 AM
I dont know exactly how Asus setup the partitions but the Laptop I'm buying has a 1.5 TB hard drive
No...that's just the way it's often listed in the specs. But in fact, your laptop will have a total of 1.5Tb hard drive space, in the form of two 750Gb HDDs. It's annoyingly inaccurate, I know, but that's just the way they do it.

dabigin
01-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Yeah its two 750 drives...wish that was how much space they had after partitioning right? lol

Pitcher@asus
01-04-2013, 07:55 AM
so now, you have two 750HDD in laptop, i think it is enough space to use, if you still want to buy it, i think amazon, best buy etc are able to search cheap HDD to buy.

dabigin
01-05-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm waiting for solid states to get up to the 750 gig size. I want to have my main drive be a solid state with the hidden asus recovery partition and the os on it. Plus what games I choose to install. I love this beast of a laptop!