PDA

View Full Version : G73SW-A1 Not reading discs

EricA
02-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Not sure what exactly the problem is.

Some DVDs read fine the first time, othes won't even be recognized. I used to be able to open/close 15 times or so and it would read. Other times it reads as soon as I turn the computer on. Its a hit and miss, some movie discs read, others don't. Some game discs read, others don't.

I've tried taking compressed air to the bay to see if it was just dirty, and nothing. Becoming very frustrating. It's been one problem after another with this machine.

Any ideas?

dstrakele
02-05-2012, 09:22 PM
How long have you had this laptop. Is it beyond the time limit of your retailer's exchange/return policy?

Have you tried uninstalling the device in Device Manager, then rebooting and letting Windows discover it and reinstall the CDROM.SYS driver?

What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software have you installed to your system?

EricA
02-06-2012, 07:11 AM
It started about 4-5 months ago, and I've only owned it for about 10 months. I'm stationed overseas so I can't really afford to send it back, though when I return it'll be the first thing I do. Built in webcam stopped working as well, but that's for another day.

Just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. No dice.

Currently running Norton 360 Anti-Virus.

EricA
02-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Any ideas?

BrodyBoy
02-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Any ideas?
Do have access to another laptop with an optical drive? ODDs are usually a standardized commodity, and they're typically very easy to pop in and out, so one test would be to pop in a different drive and see if it works.

It's hard to say with little diagnostic info, but your description makes me suspect a mechanical (rather than software) issue. That could mean drive failure, of course, or maybe just an issue with the SATA connector.

I would pull it out, clean the contacts and blow some air in the slot, then re-seat it firmly. If that doesn't help at all, I'd ask a friend if you borrow their laptop ODD to try in your machine. If it turns out that your drive is just going bad and you don't want to RMA the whole machine from your overseas location, another option is to just order a new one. (Or find a dead laptop and salvage its optical drive.)

dstrakele
02-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Check out this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10427-G74SX-slimtype-problem

It's another user experiencing a similar problem. There is a registry fix in this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

However, from your description in the OP, it sounds like you've got more of a hardware problem ("I used to be able to open/close 15 times or so and it would read..."). I suspect there are no UpperFilters or LowerFilters values to delete in your registry key."

houndazs
02-07-2012, 09:27 PM
It started about 4-5 months ago, and I've only owned it for about 10 months. I'm stationed overseas so I can't really afford to send it back, though when I return it'll be the first thing I do. Built in webcam stopped working as well, but that's for another day.

Just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. No dice.

Currently running Norton 360 Anti-Virus.

Get rid of Norton! Wors antivirus ever, along side Symantec, and McAfee! Uninstall Norton, and reboot. then see if there is a firmware upgrade for the Drive. If there is install it and reboot. You can also try to remove the drive and clean the contacts on it. I don't have that laptop, but have replaced motherboards on hundreds. taking the DVD drive out is simple and does not void the warranty. There is usually one screw on the back side of the laptop to remove and the dvd drive slides right out. 5836

houndazs
02-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Oh as far as anti-virus software, use either Microsoft Security Essentials, or AVG Free. Both are low resource and free for life!

BrodyBoy
02-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Get rid of Norton! Wors antivirus ever, along side Symantec, and McAfee! Uninstall Norton, and reboot.
There's no indication that this is related to his security software.....

houndazs
02-07-2012, 11:11 PM
i have seen Anti-virus software do all sorts of things. They usually replicate hardware issues! Norton is notorious for it!

dstrakele
02-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Here is an article on the Norton Forum discussing "CD/DVD ROM NOT WORKING ANYMORE AFTER INSTALLING NORTON 360": http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/CD-DVD-ROM-NOT-WORKING-ANYMORE-AFTER-INSTALLING-NORTON-360/td-p/171239

It references a Norton Technical Support Document: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004065186541562

However, the article does not list Windows 7 among the Operating Systems for this fix. Uninstalling Norton 360 to see if behavior changes may be worth a shot...

Removing the DVD drive and attempting to reseat/clean the connection as recommended earlier may also be worthwhile.

EricA
02-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Got rid of Norton, deleted the registry key filters, uninstall/reinstalled drive/driver in Device Manager and still nothing. Haven't tried taking the entire ODD out yet.

Baffled by this; some discs read right away while others won't even register. Since some are picking up right away, does this necessarily mean its a hardware issue?

BrodyBoy
02-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Got rid of Norton, deleted the registry key filters, uninstall/reinstalled drive/driver in Device Manager and still nothing. Haven't tried taking the entire ODD out yet.

Baffled by this; some discs read right away while others won't even register. Since some are picking up right away, does this necessarily mean its a hardware issue?
Not necessarily....but I think everything in your description so far points to that. :(