PDA

View Full Version : Windows failed to start after i did i facory restore, HELP

goloo
02-05-2012, 06:15 PM
New owner of g74sx-xn1 and i need help, i do not have the recovery disk..
here is the message i am getting ,
i factory resotred, everything looked fine but i guess not... donno what i did wrong..

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem
1 Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer,
2 Choose your language settings, and then click “next.”
3 Click “repair your computer.”
Screen says windows\system32\config\system
Info: windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt.

i dont know what to do
please help
TIA

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 06:47 PM
If you have another Windows computer (maybe the one you're on right now?), you can make a Windows repair disk. Open Backup & Restore, and you will see the option over in the left column.

After you burn that disk, follow those directions to do a startup repair on your G74.

goloo
02-05-2012, 08:44 PM
If you have another Windows computer (maybe the one you're on right now?), you can make a Windows repair disk. Open Backup & Restore, and you will see the option over in the left column.

After you burn that disk, follow those directions to do a startup repair on your G74.

what about all the drivers specific to this model

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 09:01 PM
A Windows repair disk is universal for all Windows installations, independent of the computer model. It can't repair drivers specific to a certain model (like your WLAN driver or something like that), but it looks at the basic Windows installation itself and fixes any missing or corrupt files.

To be clear, this isn't a reinstallation of Windows, just a scan and fix of the basic start up files. What may have happened, on your computer, is that Windows put the boot manager files on a different hard drive from the one where it installed WIndows (that can happen under certain circumstances), and the repair disk can fix this.

goloo
02-05-2012, 09:54 PM
A Windows repair disk is universal for all Windows installations, independent of the computer model. It can't repair drivers specific to a certain model (like your WLAN driver or something like that), but it looks at the basic Windows installation itself and fixes any missing or corrupt files.

To be clear, this isn't a reinstallation of Windows, just a scan and fix of the basic start up files. What may have happened, on your computer, is that Windows put the boot manager files on a different hard drive from the one where it installed WIndows (that can happen under certain circumstances), and the repair disk can fix this.

Thank you and i am onto fixing it , will update when hopefully hopefully, i get it Done right and running :)

380mcn
02-06-2012, 03:57 PM
best RECOVER OPTION:
insert windows dvd
INSTALL FROM SCRATCH!
INSTaLL DRIVERS!
don't install any of the asus crapware!

PERFORMANCE PROFIT! :)

BrodyBoy
02-06-2012, 07:39 PM
best RECOVER OPTION:
insert windows dvd
INSTALL FROM SCRATCH!
INSTaLL DRIVERS!
don't install any of the asus crapware!

PERFORMANCE PROFIT! :)

Perhaps. But that isn't what this OP was looking for.