PDA

View Full Version : My ASUS wont start when i press power button

tegnebok
02-05-2012, 06:39 PM
i updated my bios 202 to 203 because of the 2d/3d ROG button. and when i updated with EasyFlash it finished and it was gonna to restart, after the restart it wont start! no signs of lights or fans. nothing happens when i push the power on button.

please help i just got the computer 4 days ago and expensive :(:(:(

i got the Asus G74sx-91287V

fuzon1337
02-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi

This issue sounds like it's bricked after you flashed your BIOS.

You can try to take out the battery leave it out and push the power on button for 30 sec and then reconnect it and see if that helps.

If not, you have to RMA the situation.

tegnebok
02-05-2012, 06:52 PM
it didnt work to take out the battery for 30secs. or i just did it wrong. i dont know what RMA means :(

fuzon1337
02-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Are you from Norway ?

That means you have to call Asus Hotline and tell them that you're notebook won't turn on and what you should do. They might give you some advise, and if the advise doesn't work, they start a case and you can send the notebook in to rep.

tegnebok
02-05-2012, 07:06 PM
yes, im from Norway and thank you i'll contact them

fuzon1337
02-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Okey ;)

Here is a link (http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en) to the phone support.
(Norway 00 47 23 16 26 82 09:00-17:00 Mon. ~ Fri.)

I have good experience with InfoCare (where your notebook will be sent to after you have RMA it)
(when I sent my notebook there last time, it took one week before I had it back :) )

EDIT: Nothing happends when you try to push the power button ?

tegnebok
02-05-2012, 07:18 PM
ok... RMA is something i do? i though i was a... i dont know what RMA is and what it stands for....

fuzon1337
02-05-2012, 07:24 PM
RMA stands for Return Merchandise Authorization, and this RMA situation is a number that you start so the repair center know what to do when they get your notebook ;)

If I'm not wrong the warranty covers a bad bios flash also.

So to answer your question, yes, this is something you have to do or else you have a pretty pricey paper weight on your desk =/

tegnebok
02-05-2012, 07:27 PM
lol morsomt og takk:p

fuzon1337
02-05-2012, 07:30 PM
No problem ;)

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 08:10 PM
You know, everything I've always read says that the G-series can't be fixed with the Aptio BIOS recovery.....but lately, that's been called into question when a couple owners were able to rescue their BIOSes this way. Now, to be very clear, I have not seen this work on a completely bricked BIOS, i.e., one that shows no signs of life whatsoever. But then again, I haven't seen anyone even try, since it's accepted wisdom that it won't work.

If you are willing to give it a shot, I'd be very curious to know whether it evokes ANY kind of response from your G74. Here's how you do an Aptio recovery:

Download the correct BIOS for your model, and extract it
Rename the BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM, put it on a USB thumbdrive, insert into USB 2.0 port.
Wait at least 15-20 min, or reset the CMOS if at all possible. I would recommend you go to the trouble to do this, even though it's a royal PITA most of the time.
Power up and press CTRL + HOME
The BIOS may reflash from the BIOS file on the USB thumbdrive.

Another alternative that has worked is the same procedure, but not changing the name of the BIOS file.

tegnebok
02-05-2012, 08:29 PM
what do ypu mean with appropriate BIOS? the 202 i had when i buyed it or the 203 when i downoaded and crashed?

fuzon1337
02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
I would assume that you could use one of them, go back to the stock BIOS would be the best (I think), then if the suggestion from @Brodyboy works you could try again to flash the BIOS :)

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 09:07 PM
what do ypu mean with appropriate BIOS? the 202 i had when i buyed it or the 203 when i downoaded and crashed?
Sorry...those instructions are general to computers with an AMI Aptio BIOS....so the "appropriate" BIOS means the BIOS for your particular model, the G74. I would use the one you believe is on there already, but I think any G74 BIOS should work.

dstrakele
02-05-2012, 09:14 PM
+1 Brody! I like your thinkin'... Everyone believed the G74 couldn't handle 32 GB RAM until @fostert tried it. Hell, some didn't believe it was possible after @fostert did it.

@tegnebok has nothing to loose trying your procedure, and avoiding an RMA to gain.

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 09:19 PM
+1 Brody! I like your thinkin'... Everyone believed the G74 couldn't handle 32 GB RAM until @fostert tried it. @tegnebok has nothing to loose trying your procedure, and avoiding an RMA to gain.
Wouldn't it be amazing if it turns out that our accepted assumption has been wrong all along?? I've told plenty of bricked-BIOS-G-series-owners that their only recourse was RMA.....this is one instance where I would be thrilled to be wrong!

I'm not assuming (or even necessarily hopeful) that the Aptio recovery will work on a completely dead machine, but I'm very curious to hear if it elicits any response.

tegnebok
02-05-2012, 09:49 PM
ok guys im working on it! how do i restart the CMOS?

if it really works i'll burn my pc! just kidding then i would post a new thread named why arent the firewall working?

oh and how will the usb work when the power isnt on?

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
ok guys im working on it! how do i restart the CMOS?

if it really works i'll burn my pc! just kidding then i would post a new thread named why arent the firewall working?

oh and how will the usb work when the power isnt on?In a G74, it requires a fair amount of disassembly to access the CMOS battery. (Resetting the CMOS means popping the battery out.) Since you probably don't want to do that, you can try the fall-back approach of just letting it sit, completely off, for 15-20 minutes.

Well, the computer IS getting power....the problem is that the BIOS is corrupted and can't do anything, so you don;t see any kind of start-up activity. The purpose of the Aptio emergency BIOS recovery, in computers that allow it, it to retain a little piece of code that "knows" to look for a BIOS file on a USB port and re-flash, even when the BIOS chip is otherwise non-functional.

Again, I don't want to get your hopes up too much, because everybody always says option is disabled on the G-series. But it seems it's worth a try, just to be sure.

fuzon1337
02-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Again, I don't want to get your hopes up too much, because everybody always says option is disabled on the G-series. But it seems it's worth a try, just to be sure.

If they say that the option is disabled in the G-series, wouldn't there be a way to activate it? (when the notebook is up to go ofcourse)

tegnebok
02-05-2012, 10:54 PM
ok since it will get power i will let it stay over night and let it hope the bios thingy works lol

BrodyBoy
02-05-2012, 11:04 PM
If they say that the option is disabled in the G-series, wouldn't there be a way to activate it? (when the notebook is up to go ofcourse)
Not that I know of. I can't imagine a reason why Asus would choose to remove the option.....just doesn't make sense to me. Imagine all the RMAs they must get just for bricked BIOSes.....you'd think they would want to give owners every possible option to fix it before sending it in. Oh well, who are we to question the wisdom of their ways....

fuzon1337
02-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Not that I know of. I can't imagine a reason why Asus would choose to remove the option.....just doesn't make sense to me. Imagine all the RMAs they must get just for bricked BIOSes.....you'd think they would want to give owners every possible option to fix it before sending it in. Oh well, who are we to question the wisdom of their ways....

Perhaps they need it to be an option only employees can know about so the economy can go around for them :P

fostert
02-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Fantastic suggestion! Jeez, I thought I did alot of reading online about G74s, BIOSes, etc...never even heard this was possible. Brody, you've certainly got me beat by a country mile!

tegnebok: Crossing my fingers for you

dstrakele
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I can't imagine a reason why Asus would choose to remove the option.....just doesn't make sense to me.

I've got 2 words for you... NumLock Key

evgasr2
02-06-2012, 01:55 AM
I have a solution for your problem, g series works with aimboot ,emergency flash, you can recover your laptop , before continue you have to disassemble laptop first , if you cant then I cant help,im sorry.