PDA

View Full Version : G751JL Touchpad not working

TaomiSappleton
08-20-2018, 03:48 PM
I've been having some problems with the touchpad of my G751JL laptop, and I can't find a solution anywhere. I was wondering if you guys could help?

The issue is that the touchpad doesn't work properly - the cursor moves appropriately (and changes as appropriate when over an interactable object) but neither the buttons nor the gestures works. The computer works fine with an external mouse plugged in, but occasionally the external mouse has the same issue (but always fixes itself after the laptop goes to sleep/restarts, and this has only started happening once I started intalling/reinstalling drivers).

I've tried just about everything short of reinstalling Windows - I've rolled back the drivers, installed uninstalled and re-installed smart gesture and the ELANT ech drivers as well as reinstalling the ATK package.

The only other weird thing of note is that the Smart Gesture icon is still present in the system tray, even though I can't find it in either the Windows list of programs or in the Program files (having uninstalled it while trying to fix this program). Once I use the touchpad, both of the mouse buttons on the system tray icon light up (blue) and stay lit, despite neither button being pressed.

Any thoughts as to what's causing the problem, and how I might be able to fix it? Everything else is running fine, and it's running Windows 10 (upgraded from 8.1).
Thanks

jdfrench3
08-20-2018, 05:28 PM
From your description of Control Panel/Programs and Features not displaying ASUS Gestures and yet the Control Panel displaying ASUS Gestures, the installation is housed. Reinstall Smart Gestures, reboot, confirm ASUS Gestures is displayed in Control Panel/Programs and Features. Right click on ASUS Gestures and uninstall the program, confirm it is no longer listed in Programs and Features, reboot. Now confirm that ASUS Gestures is no longer displayed in Control Panel. This will confirm that the program had been properly removed from your PC.

I would suggest you reinstall the ATK Package after you have performed the above, reboot. (This reinstallation will require that the installed ATK Package be uninstalled using Control Panel/Programs and Features, reboot. Then reinstall the ATK Package.)

Now test your touchpad. Also test your ATK keys.

Smart Gestures is still rather buggy, Don't reinstall!

TaomiSappleton
08-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I've tried reinstalling and uninstalling Smart Gesture - while installed, the icon on the sidebar only showed the right mouse button highlighted (although the touchpad still didn't work). Reinstalling caused it to reappear in Program files/my list of programs and I was able to uninstall it. However, even after installinguninstalling a second time, even though it's not visible in my list of programs or in the Programs file folder, it's still on the sidebar and I can still open it from there. The touchpad still doesn't work, even after reinstalling the ATK drivers. The only difference after reinstalling is that the touchpad caused me to scroll initially after the installation (but not do anything else), however the touchpad returned to it's current broken state after moving the USB mouse.

I'm not sure what else to do - is there anywhere else ASUS smart gestures can be installed? It's gone from C:/Program Files (where I installed it), but I can still open and use it from the side bar. Any other ideas as to drivers or anything else I can do to fix the touchpad?

jdfrench3
08-21-2018, 10:31 AM
By default, ASUS Smart Gestures is installed here:

C:\Program Files(x86)\ASUS\ASUS Smart Gesture

Did you install it somewhere else?

TaomiSappleton
08-21-2018, 11:05 AM
No, I installed it in the default directory and it's not there now. All of the other ASUS programs are there (Gaming Centre, Macro key etc) are there, but not Smart Gesture. I tried running the installer again - it seems more than happy to reinstall to C/Program Files(x86) (it's not flagging as already installed) as you said, but I can still open it from the sidebar. I've tried re-installing and uninstalling and it's still on the sidebar. I can't find the Program files anywhere - it doesn't appear on my list of programs, and doesn't appear to be in Program Files, Program Files (x86) or Users. I'm not sure how it can be running when the program files don't appear to be anywhere logical...

jdfrench3
08-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Perform a search for ASUS Smart Gesture program using Windows 10 Search for Files and Programs.

TaomiSappleton
08-21-2018, 12:16 PM
I tired that already, all it found was the installation files that I downloaded. No sign of the program files anywhere (searched the entirely of the PC). I have hidden folders visible - no sign of it anywhere unless it's installed under a different name but none of them look obvious. I can find the Elantech drivers but I can't see any sign of ASUS Smart Gesture being hidden in there.

jdfrench3
08-21-2018, 12:31 PM
These are the drivers that should be installed on your PC:

Touchpad (ASUS PTP Driver)
Version V11.5.21.6
2016/03/30
Elantech Touchpad driver

ATK Package
Version V1.0.0050
2016/10/17
ATKPackage

Take a look at Control Panel/Programs and Features listed files, confirm the above programs and versions exist. If not, these can be downloaded from the ASUS Support Website.

TaomiSappleton
08-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Thank you for your continued help. I just had a look - both are present, with the version numbers listed below (the touchpad driver is listed as ELAN Touchpad, but the version number is correct). Both were installed from files from the ASUS website.

jdfrench3
08-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Do your ATK Keys work? Can you enable/disable your touchpad?

TaomiSappleton
08-21-2018, 02:26 PM
The ATK keys all work fine, and I can enable/disable my touchpad as normal.

jdfrench3
08-21-2018, 07:27 PM
One last place to check. Settings/Apps/Apps & Features

Look for ASUS Gestures or Windows Gestures, uninstall if you find either or both.

If none are found, I surrender.

Here's a website that cover's the ASUS Gesture installation and provides some troubleshooting. It might apply but is dated 2015.

https://ivanrf.com/en/asus-smart-gesture-and-windows-10/

Your Windows installation is corrupted, save your eSupport Folder, and reinstall Windows. That's a lot of trouble for a jerky touchpad.

TaomiSappleton
08-24-2018, 10:02 AM
It's not in Apps and Settings, which is so weird. The microsoft uninstall tool can't find it, and I can't find any trace of it in Program Data either...

I followed the instructions from the link - the weird thing is that installing Smart Gesture seems to install an updated version with more options, but uninstalling this does not get rid of the program from the sidebar and I can still open it. I'm thinking that it has been installed with another ASUS program, but I don't really want to start uninstalling random things in the hopes that I'd find it.

You're right that a fresh reinstall of windows would probably sort it out, but I really can't be bothered to do that just so I can scroll on my touch pad.

I think a windows update broke it in the first place, so hopefully a new one will fix it.

Thank you for all of your help!

brianpeng
09-04-2018, 08:05 AM
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I've tried reinstalling and uninstalling Smart Gesture - while installed, the icon on the sidebar only showed the right mouse button highlighted (although the touchpad still didn't work). Reinstalling caused it to reappear in Program files/my list of programs and I was able to uninstall it. However, even after installinguninstalling a second time, even though it's not visible in my list of programs or in the Programs file folder, it's still on the sidebar and I can still open it from there. The touchpad still doesn't work, even after reinstalling the ATK drivers. The only difference after reinstalling is that the touchpad caused me to scroll initially after the installation (but not do anything else), however the touchpad returned to it's current broken state after moving the USB mouse.

I'm not sure what else to do - is there anywhere else ASUS smart gestures can be installed? It's gone from C:/Program Files (where I installed it), but I can still open and use it from the side bar. Any other ideas as to drivers or anything else I can do to fix the touchpad?

Try to get the solution from here, I think this article gives more information about the asus smart gesture not working explain and solutions: https://windows10skill.com/asus-smart-gesture-not-working-windows-10/

TaomiSappleton
09-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the link - I've tried all of these solutions multiple times and none of them have fixed the problem. The issue isn't that the touchpad doesn't respond, which seems to be the most common complaint, but that I can move the cursor but the buttons/gestures don't work. I've just disabled the touchpad for now since it isn't doing anything - if I ever actually get around to upgrading the SSD I guess I'll find out if a Windows reinstall will fix it. Still open to any further advice though.