PDA

View Full Version : Missing a driver?

Jalida
02-08-2012, 03:45 AM
Hello,

I installed a SSD drive and thought I installed all necessary drivers.

The problem is simply that now my wireless instead of getting 2.4MB download speeds, it's limiting to only 100KB or there abouts.

What driver did I forget to install and where can I find it?

THANKS

Jalida
02-08-2012, 04:57 AM
Hi again,

I think I may have solved the slow download speed, I didn't install the Ethernet driver since it was only the drivers that I downloaded and not an installer so once I opened device manager I updated the ethernet driver and I think I'm getting good download speeds again, will know for certain next time that I try to download a large file.

However, now that I've got device manager open, I see that there are two devices that have exclamation points and need help knowing what software/drivers i need to download to get them working properly...

1. Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150
2. PCI Simple Communications Controller (UPDATE: Found a driver on the Windows UPDATE site so this one is fixed)

I've downloaded what I thought was for the 6150 wimax but it still has the exclamation point in the name in device manager so I'm stumped.

Thanks again.

BrodyBoy
02-08-2012, 07:14 AM
However, now that I've got device manager open, I see that there are two devices that have exclamation points and need help knowing what software/drivers i need to download to get them working properly...

1. Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150
2. PCI Simple Communications Controller (UPDATE: Found a driver on the Windows UPDATE site so this one is fixed)

I've downloaded what I thought was for the 6150 wimax but it still has the exclamation point in the name in device manager so I'm stumped.

Thanks again.
If you don't use WIMAX internet service, don't bother with that driver....just completely disable the device. (There's no point in having that driver loaded and running all the time if you don't need it.)

For the "PCI Communications Controller," you need to install the Intel MEI. You can download (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/MEI/IMEI_Intel_Compal_Win7_64_Z7041197.zip)and install it manually, but you'll probably also find it listed in the "Optional" section in Windows Update, so you can install it that way as well.

Jalida
02-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Thank you for the help.

I just want to make sure that I understand the wimax thing.

Is that just if I want to make my laptop some kind of access point where other computers or devices that are internet enabled could connect through my laptop's connection to the internet?

Also, there is one piece of ASUS software that I am missing (i.e. would like to have), which is the smart login, and youcam 5, (I think it's called youcam) which I had on this laptop prior to adding the ssd and reinstalling windows 7 without using the asus disks.

Is it possible that both of those are floating around that I can download legally, and if so anybody know where? I know the smart login can be faked to work with a picture, but I enjoy it as an easy way to login to my computer without having to type in a great long password that I may well forget one day anyway.

Thanks again,
//As a side note... SSD has been the absolute best upgrade that I've ever done to a computer, WOW, just WOW, programs installed on it pop up on my screen just about instantly, and loading of windows is down to maybe 5 to 10 seconds (10 seconds tops). Truly a great upgrade to this laptop. Even games that I play that used to have asset load lag is now completely gone and no more stuttering when they load assets in the game. Best money I've spent on an upgrade. Now to save up some more money to add one to my desktop computer too.

BrodyBoy
02-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Thank you for the help.

I just want to make sure that I understand the wimax thing.

Is that just if I want to make my laptop some kind of access point where other computers or devices that are internet enabled could connect through my laptop's connection to the internet?
I know....it gets confusing....My Wi-Fi, WIMAX, BT, miniports, yada yada yada! If you just use a router to create a wireless network in your home, like most people, you're only using the WLAN function of that 6150 card, not WIMAX.

WIMAX is an alternate kind of internet service, much like the wireless internet our cellphone providers offer for our smartphones. Unless you use that kind of service on your computer (which practically nobody does), you don't need the WIMAX device built into your card.

My WI-Fi is the Intel technology that lets your computer become an access point and share its internet connection. In the Intel ProSet Wireless software set-up, you can select the "Custom" install option and un-check all this extra sruff you probably don't want.

Also, there is one piece of ASUS software that I am missing (i.e. would like to have), which is the smart login, and youcam 5, (I think it's called youcam) which I had on this laptop prior to adding the ssd and reinstalling windows 7 without using the asus disks.

Is it possible that both of those are floating around that I can download legally, and if so anybody know where? I know the smart login can be faked to work with a picture, but I enjoy it as an easy way to login to my computer without having to type in a great long password that I may well forget one day anyway.
If you have the Drivers Disk, those programs are on there. There isn't one called "youcam," as far as I know, so I'm not sure which one you might be thinking of....the only one I recall with cam in the name is the Virtual Camera Utility. Could it be that one?

Anyway, if you don't have the Drivers Disk, here are links for those two:

Smart Logon (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/SmartLogon/SmartLogon_Win7_64_Z100012.zip)
Virtual Camera Utility
(http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/Virtual_Camera/Virtual_Camera_Win7_64_Z1021.zip)

dstrakele
02-08-2012, 07:10 PM
YouCam can be downloaded from http://download.cnet.com/CyberLink-YouCam/3000-2348_4-10764658.html

BrodyBoy
02-08-2012, 07:23 PM
YouCam can be downloaded from http://download.cnet.com/CyberLink-YouCam/3000-2348_4-10764658.html
Was that on the OEM installation? I don't remember that one at all! (I'm getting so old......)

dstrakele
02-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I don't believe it is installed by ASUS.

Jalida
02-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Ooops, my mistake. Yes that's right Youcam 5 was not included. Can't remember now if I needed it to make the smart login work or not, for some reason I want to say that I remember seeing a youcam 5 logo in the smartlogin box right before camera recognition would take place. But hey, chalk it up to old age over here too.

Thanks everybody.

Jalida
02-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Anybody know another legitimate location to download the Sonic DVD Suite that is listed on the ASUSTeK Computer page?

The global link doesn't seem to work, nor the P2P, and that just leaves china which is showing that it will take 18 hours to download.

Thanks