PDA

View Full Version : About Bios 202 and 203

tegnebok
02-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Hello ROGs, i wonder what will happen with my G74sx when i download Bios v202 to v203 again? because last time i updated to v203 it got bricked...:confused:

fuzon1337
02-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi

The risk of brick your notebook I would say it's a 50/50 % chance that it works fine after you have flashed your BIOS to the latest version.

Btw, how did it go with your notebook? did you fix it with the suggestion from @Brodyboy or did you have to RMA it ?

EDIT: But one thing for sure, if your notebook works as it should, and you can fix your issue without flash the BIOS, that would be the best part. "Don't mess with something that is already works fine" is what I would say :)

tegnebok
02-08-2012, 01:23 PM
i tried what brody suggested but didnt work or i did it wrong. i sended it in to fix it and ty i problably dont want to change things that works fine but what with the 2d/3d button when i play black ops? i cant change it to 2d

fuzon1337
02-08-2012, 01:37 PM
I sent you a pm :)

EDIT:

You shouldn't look away for that the repair center upgrades your BIOS to the latest version before you get it back.
At least you can contat (infocare? if it is that company you have sent your notebook to) and ask them if they can do that for you :)

dstrakele
02-08-2012, 05:51 PM
What BIOS version (reported in System Information) is currently on your G74SX? In the previous cases I've seen, when they recover a bricked laptop, ASUS installs the latest BIOS.

fuzon1337
02-08-2012, 05:56 PM
What BIOS version (reported in System Information) is currently on your G74SX? In the previous cases I've seen, when they recover a bricked laptop, ASUS installs the latest BIOS.

He had the BIOS version 202
the original thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10435-My-ASUS-wont-start-when-i-press-power-button)

dstrakele
02-08-2012, 06:14 PM
@tegnabok reports Brody's Aptio BIOS Recovery procedure failed and he had to RMA the system. In these cases, ASUS typically places the latest BIOS on the machine, so the user won't have to flash again. So I believe he now has BIOS 203 on his system, but I want him to CONFIRM it.

fuzon1337
02-08-2012, 06:25 PM
As I can understand, his notebook is now at the repair center.... so I think it would be difficult for him to answer which version he got.

But I could be wrong about this.

BrodyBoy
02-08-2012, 07:20 PM
The risk of brick your notebook I would say it's a 50/50 % chance that it works fine after you have flashed your BIOS to the latest version.
I'm sure none of us has hard data on this, but anecdotally, I really think the incidence of failure is much, much lower than 50%. Of course, it still happens too much, but failure is actually quite rare. I've been flashing BIOSes for about 25 years...Asus and other brands, AFlash, EZFlash, even WinFlash, and all sorts of methods offered....and never once had a bricked BIOS. And of course, many owners around here have flashed our G-series successfully....definitely more than half of us.

I just don't think there's any way Asus would provide utilities for flashing their BIOSes, and publicly post the firmware, if they had to fix it 50% of the time when owners used those resources.

@tegnabok reports Brody's Aptio BIOS Recovery procedure failed and he had to RMA the system. In these cases, ASUS typically places the latest BIOS on the machine, so the user won't have to flash again. So I believe he now has BIOS 203 on his system, but I want him to CONFIRM it.
Just to be clear, this isn't my recovery procedure! ;) I'd love to be so brilliant to come up with a magic fix for bricked BIOes, but in fact, it's just the standard emergency flash procedure prescribed by AMI for their Aptio BIOSes.

If tegnabok's experience is any indication, I would guess that either (1) Asus has indeed disabled the capability, as others have said, or (2) it may work on corrupt BIOSes, but not completely dead ones. :(

BTW, I think you're correct, Drew, that Asus puts the latest version on laptops RMA'd for BIOS repair.