PDA

View Full Version : G74sx Start Up Issue !!!

Ponhkun
02-10-2012, 09:42 AM
I have a G74sx A1 and I having an issue with my windows start up. My windows is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Everytime when I start my laptop and the Asus logo and Windows logo passed my windows goes blank in black screen (sometimes goes blank with the mouse pointer) for a full minute before the welcome screen starts! It's drives me nuts especially when I'm in hurries. I have no idea what's going on with it. I don't know if it's some kind of software conflicts or something else. But I'm sure that I do have A LOT of softwares and games installed but those are all I need for my studies, works and entertainments also I'm sure that I don't install anything that I don't need to use. :D

I need help and advise. :(

kouotsu
02-10-2012, 10:49 AM
It could be a number of things. First off, I recommend downloading CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner Run the registry cleaner and go to the Tools section and disable any startup programs you don't need. Does the computer load slow during any other time of use?

Ponhkun
02-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I do using the CCleaner and I also disabled the start up that I'm not using but it's not working. The blank is still there.

Does it have anything to do with the Anti-Virus? Because I kinda noticed that after I installed the 2012 Kaspersky Internet Security, the problem were there too!

Is there any other way?

gilbert
02-10-2012, 03:23 PM
i have the same issue it seems like the hard drive takes a brake, there is no hard drive activity during the black screen but as soon as the hard drive light comes on ,the screens wakes up and everything is good and fast again , but it seems like it only does it when i'm starting it not when i'm restarting it for some reason .........

fuzon1337
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Do you guys have the Seagate momentus XT as the main hard drive?

You could try to update it to it's latest firmware SD28 and see if that helps.
But if you choose to do the firmware update, follow the instructions carefully so nothing would get lost.

Link. (http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=215451&NewLang=en)

gilbert
02-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Do you guys have the Seagate momentus XT as the main hard drive?

You could try to update it to it's latest firmware SD28 and see if that helps.
But if you choose to do the firmware update, follow the instructions carefully so nothing would get lost.

Link. (http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=215451&NewLang=en)

no i have the regular dual 500gb 7200rpm that came with my g74sx bbk8

fuzon1337
02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
And the name of your hard drive is? :P

gilbert
02-10-2012, 04:38 PM
500GB Seagate ST9500423AS i believe this is the brand the bbk8 comes with

the update only applies to

ST92505610AS
ST93205620AS
ST95005620AS

fuzon1337
02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I did notice that =/ Since I have the ST95005620AS hard disk I assumed that you also had it.

But you proved me wrong :)

gilbert
02-10-2012, 05:10 PM
im sure it has something to do with the harddrive maybe the partitions or something because it doesn't do it all the time mostly when the computer is completely off when i do a restart everything is ok .........

fuzon1337
02-10-2012, 05:15 PM
If you think it is the hard drive you could download the SeaTools for Windows (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatools-win&vgnextoid=552bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD ) and see if that program finds any issues on the hard drive :)

gilbert
02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
If you think it is the hard drive you could download the SeaTools for Windows (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatools-win&vgnextoid=552bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD ) and see if that program finds any issues on the hard drive :)

thx i will try that and report back........

BrodyBoy
02-10-2012, 08:15 PM
In my experience, that long "dead" period during start up is almost always caused by a missing or problematic driver. With every boot, Windows scans the installed/onboard hardware and expects to find drivers for everything. When one (or more) is missing, Windows seems to spend a lot of time looking for a solution before proceeding.

I'd suggest, just to cover your bases here, that you go into Device Manager and make sure that the appropriate drivers are installed for all the basic onboard devices. It may be a good idea to do an "overall" install of the chipset, just to ensure that all its basic components are installed & running properly.

And also, for diagnostic purposes, make sure you don't have extra devices plugged in during start up.

dstrakele
02-10-2012, 08:42 PM
1) I used to have an AntiMalware utility called SuperAntiSpyware loaded on an older system. It always wanted to check for (and download if available) a new signature file on every startup. It would essentially halt the bootup process while doing this, preventing me from launching a browser or other application until it finished. Check to see if you have any utilities that behave in this manner. You may be able to configure them to check for updates manually.

2) Every month, Windows Update will download a "Malicious Software Removal" update that scans for common malware on your system. If you choose to automatically download and install Windows Updates (which Microsoft recommends), this Malicious Software update will slow your startup once a month.

3) A lot of apps install themselves to run at Startup (the ASUS bloatware apps are a good example). Launch MSCONFIG.EXE and select the Startup tab, then UNcheck all but the essential apps you need at startup.

gilbert
02-11-2012, 12:50 AM
well after updating a couple of drivers from device manager ,i can't reproduce the problem maybe that was what caused the long boot up , i will keep testing ad get back at you guys ...

BrodyBoy
02-11-2012, 01:07 AM
well after updating a couple of drivers from device manager ,i can't reproduce the problem maybe that was what caused the long boot up , i will keep testing ad get back at you guys ...
I think you can assume you resolved it! :)

gilbert
02-11-2012, 05:26 AM
I think you can assume you resolved it! :)

i think you are right , i been testing it all this time, it boots up twice as fast now by the time windows starts loading my home screen the windows welcome sound starts that's how fast it is now :cool: