PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 activation for the second time?

Jalida
02-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody else experienced this recently...

I installed my new SSD drive and a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and used the product key on the bottom of my G74sx laptop when I first installed Windows, and allowed it to activate at the time that I installed Win 7 on the new SSD, and so at the time of installation of Win 7 on the new SSD, it activated like it should.

Now, this morning up comes the product activation window telling me that the product key I entered is invalid and that I can use the phone automated system, buy a new key, or enter a different key and that Windows 7 HP needs to be activated (again).

So I chose the option to enter a "new product id key" but entered the same exact product key that I entered when I installed Windows last week (which is from the bottom of my G74 laptop) and after a few minutes it said that Windows is now activated.

I don't understand how it could have become un-activated since it activated when I installed it last week on the new drive. I've not added any hardware, as obviously there's not much hardware that I could add, same memory, same ND HDD, same GPU chip, same everything. So, no new hardware that might have caused it to want to re-activate as far as I'm aware.

I should probably mention that this new activation request window did show up while I was defragging the 2ND HDD (the 2ND drive is a standard issue Seagate 500GB that came with the computer and was not added between first activation and now)

Has anybody else experienced this recently? I'm wondering if some Windows update may have gone snafu and wiped the product key and registration out of my windows installation, requiring me to activate windows again.

It doesn't concern me *all* that much, since on my desktop the Windows key that I use has to be called in every time that I reinstall windows on it (no, I'm not using the same key for both my laptop and desktop, I've got multiple license keys floating around over here from the different copies of Windows 7 that I've bought since it first came out, what with all the different computers that I've got over here).

Anybody shed some light on this second activation?

I searched Google but I'm not great at searching so I didn't find anything pertinent on why I'd been asked to activate for the second time on this install of win 7.

Thanks.,

fuzon1337
02-11-2012, 01:06 PM
I did experience that, when I did a clean install on my notebook, so I just typed the serial number from under the notebook (after I did it during installation) and then it worked fine after that :)

I would assume that if you don't type fast enough when the installation is on of the Win 7HP it just goes on without saving the right product key, even you typed it in.
(Only a thought, why it happends, I don't know)

BrodyBoy
02-11-2012, 06:38 PM
I installed my new SSD drive and a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and used the product key on the bottom of my G74sx laptop when I first installed Windows, and allowed it to activate at the time that I installed Win 7 on the new SSD, and so at the time of installation of Win 7 on the new SSD, it activated like it should.

Now, this morning up comes the product activation window telling me that the product key I entered is invalid and that I can use the phone automated system, buy a new key, or enter a different key and that Windows 7 HP needs to be activated (again).

Are you sure it activated earlier? If you checkmarked the box for "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online," it doesn't actually activate for a number of days. (I can't remember how many) Perhaps it hadn't activated yet, and you got that message when it tried and failed.

(@fuzon: it will indeed just continue with the installation even if you enter an incorrect key, or don't enter a product key at all during setup. I never enter it then, and I always uncheck the "Automatically activate...." box. I prefer to wait and activate later when I'm sure the installation is satisfactory.)

Doan
02-12-2012, 06:38 AM
I had the same issue, two times. Once after clean-installing windows on the stock HDD, and once again after re-installing on an SSD. Since it worked both times, after re-entering the same CD-key, I'd assume Brody's explanation is correct.