PDA

View Full Version : ASUS ROG GM501GS, how to enter BIOS when a password is set?

tonyvsuk
11-02-2018, 07:54 AM
Hello all,

I've can't figure out how to get into the BIOS when a password is set. I know the password, and I restart the computer holding down the F2 key, but it always boots into Windows.

Does anyone know how to get to the BIOS if a password is set?

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

tonyvsuk
11-05-2018, 08:59 AM
In case it helps others, I managed to get into the BIOS after a lot of experimentation, but not entirely sure how.

During boot, I repeatedly pressed ESC, F2 and DEL, was asked for the password. After this, the boot menu appeared, and one of the options was to enter setup.

All the best,

Tony.

filbee
11-05-2018, 10:38 AM
In case it helps others, I managed to get into the BIOS after a lot of experimentation, but not entirely sure how.

During boot, I repeatedly pressed ESC, F2 and DEL, was asked for the password. After this, the boot menu appeared, and one of the options was to enter setup.

All the best,

Tony.

For what its worth you don't need to pummel the F2 key or DEL or whatever. Just go to settings, update and security, select recovery and you have the option to do an advanced start up. Using this option to restart the laptop gives you a menu to select UEFI firmware settings (aka BIOS). I find it's much easier to go this route than to try and beat an SSD drive to the POST, so to speak.

cl-Albert@ROG
11-05-2018, 05:25 PM

All the best,

Tony.

fyi.

Tapping 'ESC' will show the boot menu which has an option to enter bios setup and for some reason can sometimes work a little better than using 'F2' or delete key to get into the bios directly.

This may also be related to the secure boot setting in the bios if it's enabled.