PDA

View Full Version : G74sx video issues, please help

scubasteve25
02-12-2012, 12:12 AM
this may or may not be a long winded post, ill try to post everything i have done, what i am experiencing, and what i have tried. i bought this computer 3 days ago from a local best buy. got the computer home, removed bloatware, started upgrading drivers, installing programs (flash, java, chat, things like that.) installed my games, left it updating overnight and went to bed.
woke up in the AM played some games fine, then i went to watch hulu. about 15-20 seconds into the video my display driver crashes and i get an error along the lines of "display driver nvidia kernel (insert driver version here) has stopped responing and recovered. the video then turns into a green screen, if i fast forward in the video a little it comes back, and the problem never repeats. this also happens in youtube. i have tried updating drivers from nvidia and the asus website, along with double checking my versions of flash. tried various tweaks in the nvidia control panel. this problem does not seem to come up while playing games. i have also done a factory restore, windows update/driver update with no success.
i figured maybe for whateverr reason the vid card is overheating. i have downloaded multiple utilities such as MSI afterburner, riva tuner, and speed fan trying to see my fan speeds. i don't know if mobile GPU's have an independent fan as this is my first laptop, but none of the utilities showed me fan speeds or controls.

so i am open to suggestions, i talked to asus tech support and they said i could RMA. i tried to do an exchange at best buy but they were sold out and could order me a new one and i could just return this one and pick up the new one when it came in. geek squad is also willing to do warranty repair on it, but still might have to send it off to get looked at and i don't trust geek squad to work on my toaster.

this is my first laptop and it has been a major PITA.

oh yeah, 1 more thing, when my computer idles it is quiet.... very very quiet. is this normal? even when i play league of legends or wow, or diablo 3 or whatever, i never hear a fan kick on. is this normal? or did i end up with faulty hardware and need to just have the laptop swapped out? thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me.

fuzon1337
02-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Hi

Which driver version do you have installed for the graphic card? If it is the latest version have you tried to downgrade to another driver version to see if that helps ?

Does it say why it crashes or does it only appear a notification window that says "nvidia driver stopped working and has been recovered" ?

You could download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the register check to clean the old register files (use it to the program doesn't find any more registerfiles). Also if you download it, be sure to uncheck the option for googlebar or what ever it tries to install as an extra program.

About the fans I've read a lot in this forum that it is amazing quiet when you play games on it. if you wan't to be sure that your fans are working, you could download the futuremark advantage :)
Other then that, I've actually never seen the G74 in action, so other members with the G74 or knowledge would have to step in here :)

EDIT: Also have you updated the Atheros WiFi card on the notebook (if you got that) ?

dstrakele
02-12-2012, 12:24 AM
1) Does restoring your system to an earlier time (possibly the first restore point) with Windows System Restore resolve the issue?

2) What does SpeedFan indicate for your CPU and GPU at idle (no other applications running)?

I typically have CPU temps in the low to mid 40's C with GPU at 40-41 C at idle. The fan is running at 2170-2180 RPM and is quite quiet. As I run applications, the fan noise becomes a little more noticeable at 2600 RPM. Stress testing brought it up to 3400+ RPM I believe.

If a System Restore fails to resolve your issue, I'd be tempted to do an ASUS Factory Restore (Hit F9 at Startup and follow directions), then attempt to reproduce your issue. If it reproduces, I would recommend exchanging and waiting for a new system or returning the system for a refund. I DON'T recommend RMA or Geek Squad Warranty Repair, which will make the laptop and its problems YOUR problems and let Best Buy off the hook. Let Best Buy and ASUS worry about fixing this defective NEW computer.

scubasteve25
02-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi

Which driver version do you have installed for the graphic card? If it is the latest version have you tried to downgrade to another driver version to see if that helps ?

driver version 295.51

Does it say why it crashes or does it only appear a notification window that says "nvidia driver stopped working and has been recovered" ?

says "video driver nvidia windows kernel mode driver ver 295.51 has stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

You could download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the register check to clean the old register files (use it to the program doesn't find any more registerfiles). Also if you download it, be sure to uncheck the option for googlebar or what ever it tries to install as an extra program.

might check this out next

About the fans I've read a lot in this forum that it is amazing quiet when you play games on it. if you wan't to be sure that your fans are working, you could download the futuremark advantage :)
Other then that, I've actually never seen the G74 in action, so other members with the G74 or knowledge would have to step in here :)

EDIT: Also have you updated the Atheros WiFi card on the notebook (if you got that) ?

i dont seem to have that boo boo atheros card on this laptop.

scubasteve25
02-12-2012, 12:28 AM
1) Does restoring your system to an earlier time (possibly the first restore point) with Windows System Restore resolve the issue?

restoring to an older point does not help the issue. even after a full factory restore with out of box drivers, the issue was there.

2) What does SpeedFan indicate for your CPU and GPU at idle (no other applications running)?

you wanna know what speedfan says for temps or fan speeds? cause speedfan does not give me an option to see GPU fan just CPU

fuzon1337
02-12-2012, 12:36 AM
i dont seem to have that boo boo atheros card on this laptop.

And you're sure about that?

dstrakele
02-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Just the temps in Centigrade'll do, @scubasteve. You're not taking it underwater with you, are ya?

scubasteve25
02-12-2012, 12:40 AM
And you're sure about that?

99% sure lol, unless its hidden somewhere, i don't see it in the hardware manager.

scubasteve25
02-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Just the temps in Centigrade'll do, @scubasteve. You're not taking it underwater with you, are ya?

GPU is @ 37
CPU is @40

and no, it's not going swimming with me lol

dstrakele
02-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Looks normal. What temps do you get when playing a video?

scubasteve25
02-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Looks normal. What temps do you get when playing a video?

40/41 gpu/cpu right as the crash happens, they they more or less hold there. gpu seems to drop back down to idle temp. but no big spikes.

dstrakele
02-12-2012, 01:01 AM
So it looks like this is NOT an overheating issue.

Sometimes, when you go about uninstalling things, you may uninstall something that another application you choose to keep has a dependency on. Also, if you've updated your video driver and haven't chosen "Custom Install" and checked the "Clean Install" checkbox to remove the previous version, you may end up with driver remnants that cause problems. I also recommend installing drivers from Windows Safe Mode. This will disable running drivers that may interfere with your driver installation.

As I posted earlier, I would attempt an ASUS Factory Restore to bring your OS back to the out-of-the-box state. Than attempt to reproduce your video crash. Backup any important files since it will overwrite your C: partition.

scubasteve25
02-12-2012, 01:04 AM
So it looks like this is NOT an overheating issue.

Sometimes, when you go about uninstalling things, you may uninstall something that another application you choose to keep has a dependency on. Also, if you've updated your video driver and haven't chosen "Custom Install" and checked the "Clean Install" checkbox to remove the previous version, you may end up with driver remnants that cause problems.

As I posted earlier, I would attempt an ASUS Factory Restore to bring your OS back to the out-of-the-box state. Than attempt to reproduce your video crash. Backup any important files since it will overwrite your C: partition.

i did the asus restore. i got the same issue straight out of the box. all i unstalled was the anti virus trial, and the best buy crap that came with the computer. i also did the clean install of the drivers once i saw that out of box state caused the same issues. i think ill just take it back to best buy tmrw and have them get me a new one.

dstrakele
02-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Yep - I agree - no point in going any further.

To see what can happen if you choose to RMA, see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6867-Notebook-Shoppers-Be-Warned-Asus-RMA-A-Bad-Experience&p=74006#post74006 who has a different model but a similar issue.

scubasteve25
02-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Yep - I agree - no point in going any further.

just wanted to make sure i didn't miss anything, thanks for all your help.

dstrakele
02-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Did a little research and found http://backroom.bostonproductions.com/?p=262 discusses how to eliminate HULU Full Screen crashes by disabling Flash hardware acceleration.