PDA

View Full Version : G74 USB Mouse Issue

n1ghtl1fe
02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
I've had my G74 for a few months now and one issue that has been bothering me whenever I wake from sleep or hibernate my USB mouse doesn't work for the first few minutes. I have to remove and plug it back in a few times until it eventually recognizes it. I did a clean install of windows 7 when I first got my unit and since then have tried uninstalling my USB ports and reinstalling them through device manager with no luck. I have the latest drivers installed as well, also this is for the USB port on the back left of the unit (when its facing you), not the USB 3.0 port on the other side. Any help or suggestions would be great thanks!

dstrakele
02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
1) What happens with the touchpad when the mouse is disabled? Is the touchpad re-enabled?

2) What touchpad do you have - Sentelic or Synaptics?

3) What touchpad driver version are you currently running?

n1ghtl1fe
02-14-2012, 01:05 AM
1) What happens with the touchpad when the mouse is disabled? Is the touchpad re-enabled?

2) What touchpad do you have - Sentelic or Synaptics?

3) What touchpad driver version are you currently running?

The touchpad works fine when my usb mouse is plugged in or not.

I have a sentelic touchpad or at least sentelic drivers installed. Under device manager it just says "finger sensing pad"

PILGRIM
02-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Have you tried using the Sentelic 9.1.7.7? It might resolve the issue.

dstrakele
02-14-2012, 02:38 AM
As @PILGRIM suggests, I recommend you uninstall the 9.1.3.5 Sentelic driver, reboot into Safe Mode, and install the 9.1.7.7 driver. Configure it to disable the touchpad when a USB Mouse is detected (recommended). Alternatively, you can disable the touchpad by choosing Fn-F9.

You don't want both pointing devices active at the same time. The 9.1.7.7 driver is needed to keep the touchpad disabled. It will re-enable if you run the 9.1.3.5 driver.

n1ghtl1fe
02-14-2012, 05:04 PM
thanks for the suggestion. ill try it now and report back a little later today.

Bekarasha
02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
i have other problem:

sometimes usb mouse go offline and touch pad start working, than im pull off/on usb cable and touch pad go offline and usb mouse cont working in same usb port, ive try different mouses and different usb ports, same problem =(

any suggestions?

dstrakele
02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
1) Which touchpad do you have - Sentelic or Synaptics?

2) What version touchpad driver are you currently running?

n1ghtl1fe
02-14-2012, 11:18 PM
no dice. I tried uninstalling touchpad drivers and installing newest in safemode. Still takes 2-4 plugs/unplugs to get my mouse working

dstrakele
02-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Did you try another USB port? You could have a hardware issue with the port or the mouse.

Did you configure the touchpad to disable on connection of the USB mouse or disable it with Fn-F9 prior to connecting the mouse?

As a last resort, you could try this if you are running the 9.1.7.7 Sentelic driver:

1) Disable the touchpad in the BIOS.

2) Re-install the Intel Chipset drivers from the command line using the -overall switch.

3) Re-install the mouse driver.

PILGRIM
02-15-2012, 03:30 AM
@n1ghtl1fe and @Bekarasha:

Aside from updating and re-configuring Sentelic and Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader,
it might help to manually clean each USB ports as dirt or stuff might have accumulated inside.
I periodically use a not-so-powerful vacuum cleaner to hose the dirt out..

Bekarasha
02-15-2012, 07:21 PM
1) Which touchpad do you have - Sentelic or Synaptics?

2) What version touchpad driver are you currently running?

http://i.imgur.com/eDrNJ.png

BrodyBoy
02-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Try uninstalling the 9.1.3.5. driver and installing v9.1.7.7 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9177.zip). For those who use an external mouse, it seems to work better.

n1ghtl1fe
02-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Did you try another USB port? You could have a hardware issue with the port or the mouse.

Did you configure the touchpad to disable on connection of the USB mouse or disable it with Fn-F9 prior to connecting the mouse?

As a last resort, you could try this if you are running the 9.1.7.7 Sentelic driver:

1) Disable the touchpad in the BIOS.

2) Re-install the Intel Chipset drivers from the command line using the -overall switch.

3) Re-install the mouse driver.

Ill try that and see what happens. Its a razer diamondback mouse ill try installing drivers off razer's site i guess even though they come with software i dont want.. I also did try cleaning the usb port but actually havent tried using others for the mouse. It's not a huge issue but for a couple month old laptop my poor college self hasnt't paid off yet id like to see it work properly

BrodyBoy
02-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Ill try that and see what happens. Its a razer diamondback mouse ill try installing drivers off razer's site i guess even though they come with software i dont want.. I also did try cleaning the usb port but actually havent tried using others for the mouse. It's not a huge issue but for a couple month old laptop my poor college self hasnt't paid off yet id like to see it work properly
You're using it on a USB 2.0 port? (not 3.0)

n1ghtl1fe
02-15-2012, 09:22 PM
You're using it on a USB 2.0 port? (not 3.0)

yeah, should i try the 3.0? i usually leave that port free in case i need to usb my portable hd

BrodyBoy
02-16-2012, 12:50 AM
yeah, should i try the 3.0? i usually leave that port free in case i need to usb my portable hd
Not...I asked to ensure that it was on 2.0, as 3.0 tends to have more issues.

PILGRIM
02-16-2012, 03:06 AM
...one issue that has been bothering me whenever I wake from sleep or hibernate my USB mouse doesn't work for the first few minutes...

I don't use the "sleep" mode and I disabled "hibernate" to avoid this issue.
I always power off the G74 when not in use.

n1ghtl1fe
02-16-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't use the "sleep" mode and I disabled "hibernate" to avoid this issue.
I always power off the G74 when not in use.

i power it off usually at night but im a computer science major and move class from class with my laptop. its just easier not have to shut down and reopen everything again for my next class

BrodyBoy
02-16-2012, 08:02 PM
i power it off usually at night but im a computer science major and move class from class with my laptop. its just easier not have to shut down and reopen everything again for my next class
Sorry I'm being too lazy and to go back and re-read the thread, and you already answered this: When you put the computer to sleep as you go between classes and then wake it up again, do you leave the external mouse plugged in?

n1ghtl1fe
02-16-2012, 08:48 PM
usually its unplugged then i hit the power button to resume windows and plug in while its loading up

BrodyBoy
02-16-2012, 11:51 PM
usually its unplugged then i hit the power button to resume windows and plug in while its loading up
And the problem is that it doesn't recognize the mouse right away....correct? What if you wait (to plug it in) until after Windows is completely loaded....does that make any difference?

n1ghtl1fe
02-17-2012, 05:13 AM
And the problem is that it doesn't recognize the mouse right away....correct? What if you wait (to plug it in) until after Windows is completely loaded....does that make any difference?

no difference but i solved it finally :cool:

i uninstalled asus's power4gear program and my resuming out of hibernate and sleep is at least 5x faster and my mouse registers as soon as its plugged in. The only reason i installed it after my clean install was because i didnt like the idea of a dead button but forget that now lol.

thanks for all the help everyone

BrodyBoy
02-17-2012, 05:23 AM
Chalk up another one for Power4Gear......

n1ghtl1fe
02-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Chalk up another one for Power4Gear......

haha right...wtf asus

wanfeilwong
02-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Good catch on that, I was also having the same issue with my Razer mouse....Still don't like the idea of a dead button though -_-

BrodyBoy
02-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Good catch on that, I was also having the same issue with my Razer mouse....Still don't like the idea of a dead button though -_-
How often did you actually use it anyway? I'd guess most people use that button, and switch between power profiles, about as often as they use the PAUSE/BREAK button! (Or how about PR SCR/SYSRQ?) If you think about, we all have quite a few dead buttons on our keyboards.