PDA

View Full Version : When asus update yours drivers on web page - for g74sx???

Symho
02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
The question in the object!

Thanks for all!

dstrakele
02-13-2012, 07:05 PM
I think that'll happen somewhere in the ballpark of when hell freezes over...

You're much better off following this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s or searching the driver developer's web sites on your own.

EDIT: Actually, I think I'm being way too over-optimistic in this case. Sorry...

BrodyBoy
02-13-2012, 07:13 PM
What's the deal today....am I the only one who's been blocked?

dstrakele
02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
No - they're being an equal opportunity blocker today. I get the message myself.

Symho
02-13-2012, 07:57 PM
No - they're being an equal opportunity blocker today. I get the message myself.

Well, we have a gaming notebook with driver Asus certified 1 years old! O_O

I want use only driver Asus certified for keep stability on my PC but...:mad:

dstrakele
02-13-2012, 08:26 PM
On gaming systems like the G74SX, the video driver IMO appears to be the key to stability. The NVIDIA 285.62 WHQL (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/285.62/285.62-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe) is what I would consider as a good choice for stability. It is also what NVIDIA recommends to backrev to if you encounter Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) errors with their most recent drivers.

PILGRIM
02-14-2012, 03:16 AM
What's the deal today....am I the only one who's been blocked?

It happened to me, too, last night (China Time).
I thought the admin decided suddenly that I'm an aggravation..

Symho
02-14-2012, 09:47 AM
On gaming systems like the G74SX, the video driver IMO appears to be the key to stability. The NVIDIA 285.62 WHQL (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/285.62/285.62-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe) is what I would consider as a good choice for stability. It is also what NVIDIA recommends to backrev to if you encounter Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) errors with their most recent drivers.

Sorry but Nvidia said:

"As part of the NVIDIA Verde Notebook Driver Program, this is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver."

and to my direct question respond me:

Thank you for your reply.

"The driver version 268.37 is a customized driver for your notebook and is the best driver for your laptop. The usage of the video memory depends on the application and cannot be modified or assigned to specific application.

The difference in the file size can only be best explained by ASUS as they have published the custom driver.

I will look forward for you reply to assist you further.

Best Regards,
Rashid
NVIDIA Customer Care"

Now where is the truth?

_
02-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Well, we have a gaming notebook with driver Asus certified 1 years old! O_O

I want use only driver Asus certified for keep stability on my PC but...:mad:

Which one specifically? I've checked - we're about 1 behind on some releases, but yes it is an issue I have brought up internally recently but it's not easily addressed for individual products as the whole company - every product - works on the same system of update. We are really trying to find out how to make it faster.

I would always try the latest graphics driver from AMD or Nvidia. If it doesn't work, safe mode it and roll back.

PILGRIM
02-14-2012, 10:55 AM
...Now where is the truth?

The truth is with dstrakele and the Nvidia letter sent to you.

IMO, the nVidia 285.62 WHQL (recommended by dstrakele), and the stock nVidia 268.37,
should be both good for your computer.

The stock nVidia 268.37 is indeed "a customized driver for your notebook and is the best driver for your laptop".
However, we all know computer usage is constantly evolving. Software programs get more and more sophisticated.
Like gaming, for example. A game like Battlefield 3, etc. also need a "tailored" driver version for better performance.
Thus, nVidia has to constantly update its drivers, to cope up with this demanding trend..

Incidentally, the nVidia 285.62 is the latest WHQL version- probably one of the reasons why dstrakele
is recommending it. (I'm using and also recommending it. :))

For a "basic" user who doesn't use a highly graphic-intensive program, the 268.37 version should do just fine.
But for the other kind of user, more updated versions, e.g. nVidia 285.62 WHQL, should be the choice, IMO.

Symho
02-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Which one specifically? I've checked - we're about 1 behind on some releases, but yes it is an issue I have brought up internally recently but it's not easily addressed for individual products as the whole company - every product - works on the same system of update. We are really trying to find out how to make it faster.

I would always try the latest graphics driver from AMD or Nvidia. If it doesn't work, safe mode it and roll back.

Thank you for yuor assistance, i hope that Asus can update our drivers soon, because our product (G series) need it.

Symho
02-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Dear Mods,

can we use this thread for posting update notice when new driver is coming??? Or better for request info to ASUS developers?

Thank you in advance!

dstrakele
02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
IMO - the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread is a better choice for driver update notices.

Symho
02-16-2012, 05:22 PM
IMO - the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread is a better choice for driver update notices.

Sorry, I have not specified that I was referring only to the certified drivers asus!

BrodyBoy
02-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Sorry, I have not specified that I was referring only to the certified drivers asus!
Then the obvious place to watch for those is on the Asus support page for your model. If Asus barely has the time or organization to keep THAT updated, what are the odds anybody there will have the time or organization to echo the effort on this forum? I'd say "none" to "not a chance in hell."

Look, if you are set on only using drivers provided by Asus, you have an easier task than many owners (who prefer to look for the latest drivers, which come from a variety of sources). Simply check the product page occasionally.

Symho
02-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Then the obvious place to watch for those is on the Asus support page for your model. If Asus barely has the time or organization to keep THAT updated, what are the odds anybody there will have the time or organization to echo the effort on this forum? I'd say "none" to "not a chance in hell."

Look, if you are set on only using drivers provided by Asus, you have an easier task than many owners (who prefer to look for the latest drivers, which come from a variety of sources). Simply check the product page occasionally.

You're right, but if within this forum there is a staff Asus and many users have a need unanimous maybe there are more chances that the company will listen to the needs. It's called customer sadisfaction! Then this is nothing new happens in other forums from other manufacturers. ;)

BrodyBoy
02-16-2012, 11:47 PM
It's called customer sadisfaction!
It's called Asus....and customer satisfaction is not their forte. ;)

I do see your point, but honestly, it's just not going to happen. Asus is a big company that's churning out new models all the time....for any given model, you're lucky to see BIOS updates after the first couple months. It's abundantly clear that supporting existing customers takes a (very) distant back seat to generating new models and attracting new customers. That's just the way it is. :(

Symho
02-17-2012, 07:09 AM
It's called Asus....and customer satisfaction is not their forte. ;)

I do see your point, but honestly, it's just not going to happen. Asus is a big company that's churning out new models all the time....for any given model, you're lucky to see BIOS updates after the first couple months. It's abundantly clear that supporting existing customers takes a (very) distant back seat to generating new models and attracting new customers. That's just the way it is. :(

My SONY VAIO is constantly updated and is specify on Nvidia's web page that the VAIO F with 330 m is in green program, so if you want sell many PCs and you remove the support to them you are not serious for me!

BrodyBoy
02-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Well, like I said....that's just the way it is. Asus has made their choice.

Customers have every right to consider this when buying a laptop, and like you, many have concluded that it's not acceptable and they've sworn off ever buying another Asus laptop. I myself am kind of on the fence about it....but chances are, I won't buy another Asus.

PILGRIM
02-17-2012, 07:55 AM
...customer sadisfaction...

:D Now that's another one for the ASUS lexicon!