PDA

View Full Version : hd replaced with ssd now what ?

gilbert
02-13-2012, 09:41 PM
ok guys i replace my hd with a corsair 120gb ssd force 3 for 150$ , i manage to copy my recovery discs that best buy made forme , everything is working perfect so far , what else do you guys recommend me to do should i turn off something or on something tomake my ssd work with no issues ? are there any extra steps to take after installing a ssd ? this is my first ssd installation ...

Rockford
02-13-2012, 09:48 PM
If u use it as Op disc, don't migrate the op, from a mechanical disc to SSD. Make a fresh install..

Area 66
02-13-2012, 09:55 PM
what else do you guys recommend me to do should i turn off something or on something tomake my ssd work with no issues ? ...

Very bad idea to image from HD to SSD, as for what to do after ;

here good guide , all true I don't use the utility and I don't enable write caching

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f128/s...-guide-236563/

this what I do

Disable indexing
Turn Off the Disk Defragmenter Schedule
Disable defragmentation
Disable Superfetch / Prefetch
Disable the Page File
Disable System Restore
Disable Hibernate
TRIM Commands

gilbert
02-13-2012, 11:08 PM
why disable system restore ? i would think that is a good option to have in case your system crashes .............

gilbert
02-13-2012, 11:54 PM
also guys i have the ssd as primary and the 500gb 7200rpm secondary ,what are the steps to set it up so all my data will store in the harddrive not the ssd ?

BrodyBoy
02-14-2012, 03:39 AM
why disable system restore ? i would think that is a good option to have in case your system crashes .............
Some people think it speeds up your system. Even if it does, I can't see how it's worth giving up that "disaster insurance." I always leave it on.

also guys i have the ssd as primary and the 500gb 7200rpm secondary ,what are the steps to set it up so all my data will store in the harddrive not the ssd ?
In WIndows Explorer, move the libraries (Documents, Photos, Videos, Music, and any others you've created) tot he secondary drive, and be sure to set the default locations to those folder.

gilbert
02-14-2012, 04:43 AM
hey guys i don't know if i did something wrong or what happen but my ssd and my hardrive seem about the same speed what am i doing wrong if that is the max speed of the ssd's it seems like a waste of money to me ..........

gilbert
02-14-2012, 06:01 AM
this could b the reason why there isn't much difference between my 7200 and my ssd any way i will b returning it to the store tomorrow and will b getting something different ......

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/06/09/corsair-announces-force-3-ssd-recall/1

xeromist
02-14-2012, 06:21 PM
You may want to check the partition alignment. If you cloned from a standard drive and the partitions are misaligned that could seriously degrade your speed. Just do a google search for SSD alignment and you'll see all sorts of discussions on checking the alignment and fixing it with gparted.

gilbert
02-14-2012, 09:49 PM
In WIndows Explorer, move the libraries (Documents, Photos, Videos, Music, and any others you've created) tot he secondary drive, and be sure to set the default locations to those folder.

can you tell me how to set those folders to default ? after i copy those folders from C:(ssd) drive to E: (500gb ) drive i can still see them but after i delete them in C: drive they became useless at E: drive....

gilbert
02-14-2012, 10:02 PM
You may want to check the partition alignment. If you cloned from a standard drive and the partitions are misaligned that could seriously degrade your speed. Just do a google search for SSD alignment and you'll see all sorts of discussions on checking the alignment and fixing it with gparted. the big partition is correct it gave me a whole number when divided by 4096 but the little one gave me a decimal number how to fix that or it should b fine ?

To check the alignment of your SSD's partition, it is quite simple.

In windows 7, run msinfo32 by typing it into the search box on your start menu and hitting enter.

click on: components => storage => disks

Look for your SSD and check the partition starting offset.

It needs to be divisible by 4096 (ie return a whole number when you divide by this) otherwise the alignment is not correct.

xeromist
02-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Little one? Are we talking about the 100MB hidden partition that Windows 7 likes to make or something else? Anyway, if you have a misaligned partition you can burn an ISO of gparted or ubuntu. Both have the tool to realign a partition.

The root issue with partition alignment is that SSDs are managed in 4096 blocks. If you have a partition that starts on something other than a multiple of 4096, or in other words: in the middle of a block, all the data thereafter will be spanned across blocks. This means that every read operation on that partition will have to read an extra physical block to get the full 4096 logical sector, even files less than 4096.

gilbert
02-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Little one? Are we talking about the 100MB hidden partition that Windows 7 likes to make or something else? Anyway, if you have a misaligned partition you can burn an ISO of gparted or ubuntu. Both have the tool to realign a partition.

The root issue with partition alignment is that SSDs are managed in 4096 blocks. If you have a partition that starts on something other than a multiple of 4096, or in other words: in the middle of a block, all the data thereafter will be spanned across blocks. This means that every read operation on that partition will have to read an extra physical block to get the full 4096 logical sector, even files less than 4096.

yes the little one when i clone my c: drive it cut the ssd in two one OS ( C: ) of 105gb with the os and everything and another one with 6gb SYSTEM ( D: ) .......

xeromist
02-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Oh, that's different. I was talking about a hidden partition. If your D drive got resized to 6GB then I would move any remaining data off of it and delete it. Use the space to expand the C partition to one slightly bigger. As long as your C partition is aligned then when you extend it everything will be fine, no realignment required.

BrodyBoy
02-15-2012, 12:22 AM
can you tell me how to set those folders to default ? after i copy those folders from C:(ssd) drive to E: (500gb ) drive i can still see them but after i delete them in C: drive they became useless at E: drive....
Sure.

Open WIndows Explorer.
Select a library, and in its main window (up toward the top, right under the Library name), you'll see something like "2 locations."
Click on that to open the Library locations window.
In this Window, you remove the old locations, add any new ones you want, and select the default save location.

gilbert
02-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Oh, that's different. I was talking about a hidden partition. If your D drive got resized to 6GB then I would move any remaining data off of it and delete it. Use the space to expand the C partition to one slightly bigger. As long as your C partition is aligned then when you extend it everything will be fine, no realignment required.

i did try that first but the option to extend volume is gray out .......

gilbert
02-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Sure.

Open WIndows Explorer.
Select a library, and in its main window (up toward the top, right under the Library name), you'll see something like "2 locations."
Click on that to open the Library locations window.
In this Window, you remove the old locations, add any new ones you want, and select the default save location.

thx for your help i got it working and in a 120gb ssd now i have 90gb free :)

xeromist
02-15-2012, 01:07 AM
i did try that first but the option to extend volume is gray out .......

Did you delete the existing D: partition first? You may have to delete the logical partition and then delete it again if it was created as a logical partition within a "primary" partition. Obviously be careful not to delete any primary partition if it includes your C: partition.

gilbert
02-15-2012, 04:01 AM
Did you delete the existing D: partition first? You may have to delete the logical partition and then delete it again if it was created as a logical partition within a "primary" partition. Obviously be careful not to delete any primary partition if it includes your C: partition.

yes sir i did i even tried just formatting it, and not naming it , also tried using different path and no luck , after deleting the volume i don't get the option of deleting it again ....... an the extend volume still grayed out.

BrodyBoy
02-15-2012, 05:42 AM
@gilbert: How is the unused space listed in Disk Management? As "unallocated space" or as "free space?"

If you could post a screenshot of Disk Management, that might help give an idea of what's going on here.

gilbert
02-15-2012, 04:12 PM
@gilbert: How is the unused space listed in Disk Management? As "unallocated space" or as "free space?"

If you could post a screenshot of Disk Management, that might help give an idea of what's going on here.

6,01 GB
Unallocated

i can't post screen shots, i took a screen shot pressing fn+prt sc sysrq , after saving the screen shot to my desktop and uploading it here it tells me is a invalid file even tho is a pgn file..... what other way can i take a screen shot so i can post it here ?

4thrun
02-15-2012, 05:20 PM

hm, you should consider that SSD drives have limited number of writes. So disabling system restore and page file on ssd drive should make its life longer.

xeromist
02-15-2012, 05:36 PM
hm, you should consider that SSD drives have limited number of writes. So disabling system restore and page file on ssd drive should make its life longer.

System restore is not an I/O intense process like the page file. SSDs have plenty of write cyles for something like system restore so the only reason to disable it is for the minor increase in free space. And if you're worried about system restore taking up a lot of space there is an option under the disk cleanup operation to delete all but the most recent snapshot. You can preserve a fallback plan with minimal footprint without nuking it entirely.

But yes, disabling the swap is a good idea because it takes a ton of space and eats a lot of write cycles.

gilbert
02-15-2012, 05:47 PM

i did disable page file on C: (ssd) but i created a page file on D: (mechanical drive) so i wont ran out of memory....but sytem restore i left it alone , i'm just erasing the old ones and keeping only the most current ......

BrodyBoy
02-15-2012, 07:07 PM
I really think concerns about that SSD "limitation" are overblown. I've seen complicated projections that estimate SSDs will average five years, against an HHD's seven years. If that's true, I think it impacts a very small number of owners, since most people (especially those around here) rarely use ANY piece of computer hardware that long! I certainly don't, so I wouldn't baby my equipment just to eek out an extra couple months I'll never use anyway.

They're actually quite robust, and they're meant to be used.

BrodyBoy
02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
6,01 GB
Unallocated

i can't post screen shots, i took a screen shot pressing fn+prt sc sysrq , after saving the screen shot to my desktop and uploading it here it tells me is a invalid file even tho is a pgn file..... what other way can i take a screen shot so i can post it here ?

Uploading local photos seldom seems to work, even though the forum supposedly offers that option. If you have something like a Photobucket account, it works better to post from there. It's kind of a pain, but that's the more reliable way to do it here.

In Disk Management, how are these partitions laid out on your SSD? From your description, I'm imagining three partitions, in the following order on your drive:

(1) 25Gb recovery........(2) 105Gb system partition.......(3) 6Gb unallocated space

Is that how it laid out? Also, I just saw a couple different earlier posts on this thread. In one, it sounded like you used the recovery discs to -rebuild your OEM installation on the SSD, but in another, you said you cloned the drive. Can you clarify which procedure you used?

gilbert
02-15-2012, 11:42 PM
In Disk Management, how are these partitions laid out on your SSD? From your description, I'm imagining three partitions, in the following order on your drive:

(1) 25Gb recovery........(2) 105Gb system partition.......(3) 6Gb unallocated space

Is that how it laid out? Also, I just saw a couple different earlier posts on this thread. In one, it sounded like you used the recovery discs to -rebuild your OEM installation on the SSD, but in another, you said you cloned the drive. Can you clarify which procedure you used?

i return my firs ssd then i got this kingston hyper x and used Acronis Migrate Easy to clone this time and this is the way my ssd is partion ,

( D: ) .................................................. ..........OS ( C: )
6.00 GB NTFS.............................................. 105.78 GB NTFS
unallocated space......................................HEALYHY (SYSTEM,BOOT,ACTIVE,CRASH DUMP,PRIMARY PARTITION)

gilbert
02-15-2012, 11:54 PM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/gilbert11231123/Untitled.png maybe this works

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/gilbert11231123/Untitled.png

BrodyBoy
02-16-2012, 12:46 AM
I believe the issue may be that the available space is before Windows. Except for some special exceptions, like an OEM recovery partition or a System Reserved partition, Windows wants to be the first thing on the drive.

If you really want to absorb that space, I think your best bet is to image the system partition, reformat the SSD and (if you want to use the whole thing for Windows) make one big partition, then restore that image back onto it. You don't need any 3rd party software for this....Windows Backup & Restore can create and restore the system image.

gilbert
02-16-2012, 01:19 AM
I believe the issue may be that the available space is before Windows. Except for some special exceptions, like an OEM recovery partition or a System Reserved partition, Windows wants to be the first thing on the drive.

If you really want to absorb that space, I think your best bet is to image the system partition, reformat the SSD and (if you want to use the whole thing for Windows) make one big partition, then restore that image back onto it. You don't need any 3rd party software for this....Windows Backup & Restore can create and restore the system image.

ok thx i will give it a try and report back ..........

gilbert
02-16-2012, 03:53 AM
i did try but i have no option of reformat or delete the partition, i manage to make a image and save it to E drive....how do i go about to format the ssd ? every time i try that it tells me that i can't because it contains the windows version that im using,,,,,

BrodyBoy
02-16-2012, 07:42 AM
You need to do this outside of Windows. You could use the Diskpart utility, which is my preferred method, but you can also do it from the Windows repair disk when you're ready to re-image the SSD.

When you boot from the repair disk, there are some opening dialogues. For example, you must locate and select the system image you want to use. There's also a section on how you want to manipulate the target location. Pay attention to the options there to be clear about what you're doing, but the option you'll want is "Format and repartition disks." Your HDD should already be excluded, since it contains the system image, but just check to make sure.

gilbert
02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
You need to do this outside of Windows. You could use the Diskpart utility, which is my preferred method, but you can also do it from the Windows repair disk when you're ready to re-image the SSD.

When you boot from the repair disk, there are some opening dialogues. For example, you must locate and select the system image you want to use. There's also a section on how you want to manipulate the target location. Pay attention to the options there to be clear about what you're doing, but the option you'll want is "Format and repartition disks." Your HDD should already be excluded, since it contains the system image, but just check to make sure.

i manage to go in Diskpart utility but did not know how to operate , or what option to use, and what repair disk are you taking about ? do you think that if i do a fresh install would that get everything the way is supposed to be ?

xeromist
02-16-2012, 07:03 PM
A fresh install is best because you are free of any weirdness from the previous installation but you lose any customization and programs that you had. If you didn't have much installed then I'd say go for it.

BrodyBoy
02-16-2012, 07:59 PM
i manage to go in Diskpart utility but did not know how to operate , or what option to use, and what repair disk are you taking about ? do you think that if i do a fresh install would that get everything the way is supposed to be ?
Like most others around here, I do think a clean install is a great way to go. But if the installation you currently have is good (the installation itself, not all this weird partition stuff), imaging and restoring it back onto the SSD is a good solution, too. If there's anything funky about the Wndows installation itself, I'd really recommend the clean install.

The Windows repair disk is what you need to use when restoring the image. In Windows Backup & Restore, burning one is an option that's always listed over on the left column. It should also have been an option presented after Windows created the system image. So if you made your image with Windows, you need to go in an burn one of those....it doesn't take long. (If you used a 3rd party utility for imaging, you'll need to burn a bootable restore disk from that program.)

You need the bootable repair/restore disk even if you use Diskpart to clean up the SSD. So be sure to burn it first.

If you got into Diskpart outside WIndows, here are the steps for preparing the SSD. Type the commands exactly as shown within quotes, but exclude the quotes.

Open a command window (ex: Shift+F10 at the WIndows install disk langauge screen)
"diskpart" .....starts the diskpart utility
"list disk" .....lists your disks...they will be enumerated, so note the disk number of your SSD
"select disk n" (where "n" is the SSD disk number)
"clean" .....wipes the SSD ("clean all" is a more secure method that actually overwrites the entire drive with 0's, but it's not really necessary here)
"create partition primary" .....creates a raw partition (just to ensure that Windows Backup & Restore recognizes the drive)
"exit" .....closes diskpart
"exit" .....closes the command window

Once the SSD has been wiped, boot from the repair/restore disk, and follow the procedures for restoring your image onto the SSD. (To boot from the CD, hit ESC immediately after powering up. This opens a boot menu where you can select the optical drive.)

gilbert
02-17-2012, 02:41 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/gilbert11231123/diskpic.png

i did it finally , thx to all of you guys for your help ,,,, now i can see the real speed of the ssd my boot up time got cut in half by creating a whole boot up partition and updating all my drivers :cool: thx again guys great forum great community.......