PDA

View Full Version : Might buy a G74SX used. Advice please

jaysunvzw
02-16-2012, 07:55 AM
I've been scouring the net and these forums and I'm sold. Can't wait till Friday to go pick it up.
Owner is selling for 950.00
Its has two 500GB hd's and has the gtx560m with 2GB VRAM???

Does anyone know which specific model this is. It has a Blueray drive and is not 3d. 16GB of memory

My biggest concern is that it is used.
What things should I try to look for to verify it is in good working condition?

owner has installed a fresh system.

Also he registered it and had a two year warranty. Would the warranty expire in the transaction?

I'm new to the forums and hope to have my G74 Friday.
Thanks

BrodyBoy
02-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Ask the seller exactly what model it is....he/she should certainly know and disclose that prior to the sale. Sounds to me like one of the BB versions.

I would not expect the warranty to transfer. Though maybe if he provides you with the original proof of purchase, and lets you use his name if you need service....might work.....

You said he has done a clean install. You may wish to see if he made a set of recovery DVDs or retained the recovery partition on the hard drive. If not, ensure that the Windows installation is properly activated, and ask whether he used the OEM license or a different one. The point here is that you want to make sure you're getting a valid Windows license with the computer.

I'd also quiz him (a lot) about why he's selling it. Ask him if he changed any of the original hardware. Ask him if he experienced any of the hardware issues known to occur with this model....erratic touchpad, keyboard problems?

jaysunvzw
02-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks Brody,

All very good ideas.

I will print this topic and take with me.

I appreciate your time.

Anyone else have ideas please add as I will ask him these questions/concerns before buying.

fostert
02-16-2012, 11:48 PM
I'd get that seller to send you detailed pictures of the thing from all sides and angles (top, bottom, sides, from, back, open face keyboard, open screen, some showing it POSTs and boots, etc). Snapping off a few pix is easy for him/her to do, and will allow you to virtually inspect it for yourself. I would insist on this if it was me buying a used version.

chrsplmr
02-17-2012, 03:29 AM
I have to agree .. buyer beware there.....you say picking it up.
so you will have a chance to .. boot and inspect this laptop?
I would want all numbers off of it before hand to research.

HeadAches are no bargan at any price...Best of Luck.c.

jaysunvzw
02-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Yes this Laptop is local. I'm going this Saturday morning to look it over.
He states in the sales post that the "system has been restored to factory original. Recovery partition still intact. Set of system generated restore disc included."

I assume this is good.
My question is as I am not familiar with windows 7 yet. Can you view the COA under the computer properties
like on XP?

I appreciate every ones suggestions and I hope to get my asus g74 this weekend.

Is their a link that explains all the steps to get this pc running at full potential?

I've seen a lot scattered post about fresh installs with no bloatware, bios update, etc

BrodyBoy
02-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Yes this Laptop is local. I'm going this Saturday morning to look it over.
He states in the sales post that the "system has been restored to factory original. Recovery partition still intact. Set of system generated restore disc included."

I assume this is good.
My question is as I am not familiar with windows 7 yet. Can you view the COA under the computer properties
like on XP?

I appreciate every ones suggestions and I hope to get my asus g74 this weekend.

Is their a link that explains all the steps to get this pc running at full potential?

I've seen a lot scattered post about fresh installs with no bloatware, bios update, etc
Yes, you can open computer properties and it'll show whether Windows is activated. (You can also go to START -> "activate" -> Enter, and get a pop-up that shows activation status.)

There isn't "a" link, really. The entire forum is an ongoing discussion about optimizing these models and resolving problems! ;) Chances are, he did a recent factory restore (note that this is different from the clean/fresh install mentioned earlier) and it's currently in its out-of-the-box state. I would suggest you use it that way for awhile, if you get it, and take time to familiarize yourself with the model and with Windows 7 before starting to make any significant changes. If and when you decide to customize the installation or do a clean install, there's plenty of info and help around here.

(Do ask him about proof of purchase and how you might be able to use the original warranty.)