PDA

View Full Version : G73JH Just Shuts Down

TruFloridaGator
02-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Original Win. installation
Every driver is up to date, VBios is up to date

Laptop decides to shutdown from time to time while I am playing poker and using a HUD display/hand reading program, VPN, & poker software. Not a huge load on the system, somewhat HD intensive with the hand reading from the HD.

The event is random & doesn't always happen.

I can turn it back on immediately & all my temps never go above 65 C when doing poker stuff

BrodyBoy
02-17-2012, 08:05 PM
No warning? No blue screen? It just suddenly powers off?

TruFloridaGator
02-17-2012, 08:09 PM
No warning? No blue screen? It just suddenly powers off?

Correct. It reboots itself actually. My OP was incorrect in saying, "I can turn it back on," because it just reboots itself.

The thing is, only about ~15% of the time I'm playing poker. If I turn it back on, it tends to happen a few minutes later probably 30-50% of the time, but then I may go a week before it happens again.

BrodyBoy
02-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Wow....very odd, considering that the temperatures aren't too high. (It otherwise wounds like an overheating kind of shutdown.)

Have you gone into the event viewer to see if you can find any indication of was happening at the time it reboots?

TruFloridaGator
02-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Wow....very odd, considering that the temperatures aren't too high. (It otherwise wounds like an overheating kind of shutdown.)

Have you gone into the event viewer to see if you can find any indication of was happening at the time it reboots?

Hah, it just crashed again. I had FF, Event Viewer, & SeaTools open. Highest temps ~60 C

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Source: Kernel-Power
Level: Critical
Event ID: 41

It's happened 51 times since 9/14/11

BrodyBoy
02-17-2012, 08:50 PM
So Windows doesn't even see it coming....just a sudden power loss. I don't know what all can cause that, but I would be worried about an instability in the power supply to the M/B. :( Hopefully, others might weigh in with information on other possible causes.

Here's a Microsoft support page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504) that recommends looking for some further diagnostic information on the Event 41 error.

If I were experiencing something like this, my first diagnostic task would be to run it barebones....a clean Windows installation....to see if it still happens. (The point is to rule out a software cause.) If you are wary of doing a clean install, the next best thing, if you're currently running the OEM installation with all the Asus programs on board, is to start eliminating some of those programs.

TruFloridaGator
02-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Yeah, heading towards a fresh install if I don't hear anything else & mem & hard drive tests come out OK

TruFloridaGator
02-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I turned off the Automatically Restart Option for "System Failure", so we'll see how that goes for a while or see if it will generate a bug code.

TruFloridaGator
02-19-2012, 03:59 PM
I also did notice my realtek drivers were not up to date, despite having tried to update them previously. Those are up to date now. Could have potentially been an issue.

xeromist
02-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Make sure that you look at all events in the log, not just critical errors but warnings and such within the last hour after a crash. I find that sometimes there are other entries that are more helpful as you almost always get a kernel power message and those aren't descriptive.

dstrakele
02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Check out this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10414-Dead-G73Jh In this case, there is an indication of a faulty HDD. I recommend some standard diagnostic tests:

1) If the reboots are recent, restore your system to an earlier time (before you experienced these issues) with Windows System Restore OR restore the latest stable Windows System Image from your backups.

2) checking your memory 2 sticks at a time with 3 passes of memtest86.

3) Running CHKDSK C: /F /R from the Command Line started by right-clicking on the icon and choosing "Run as administrator" from the popup menu and restarting OR
right-clicking on C: in Windows Explorer and choosing "Properties" from the popup menu, select the "Tools" tab and click on the "Check now" button. Be sure BOTH check disk options checkboxes are checked and restart.

4) If these fail to resolve the problem, try uninstalling or disabling any 3rd party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall or Remote Access software you've installed to troubleshoot possible driver conflicts leading to memory corruption on your system.

5) Can you reproduce the issue running on the power adapter alone without the battery installed?

TruFloridaGator
02-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Make sure that you look at all events in the log, not just critical errors but warnings and such within the last hour after a crash. I find that sometimes there are other entries that are more helpful as you almost always get a kernel power message and those aren't descriptive.

Didn't see anything of note around those crashes.

Check out this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10414-Dead-G73Jh In this case, there is an indication of a faulty HDD. I recommend some standard diagnostic tests:

1) If the reboots are recent, restore your system to an earlier time (before you experienced these issues) with Windows System Restore OR restore the latest stable Windows System Image from your backups.

2) checking your memory 2 sticks at a time with 3 passes of memtest86.

3) Running CHKDSK C: /F /R from the Command Line started by right-clicking on the icon and choosing "Run as administrator" from the popup menu and restarting OR
right-clicking on C: in Windows Explorer and choosing "Properties" from the popup menu, select the "Tools" tab and click on the "Check now" button. Be sure BOTH check disk options checkboxes are checked and restart.

4) If these fail to resolve the problem, try uninstalling or disabling any 3rd party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall or Remote Access software you've installed to troubleshoot possible driver conflicts leading to memory corruption on your system.

5) Can you reproduce the issue running on the power adapter alone without the battery installed?

1) not recent

2) Will do them 2x2

3) I fell asleep while it was in Stage 5 & woke to a BSOD. USB BUG Code Error. I remember getting these prior to updating BIOS & VBIOS 1 year ago but haven't had one since.

dstrakele
02-20-2012, 08:47 PM
3) I fell asleep while it was in Stage 5 & woke to a BSOD. USB BUG Code Error. I remember getting these prior to updating BIOS & VBIOS 1 year ago but haven't had one since.

It sounds like you experienced an issue similar to that discussed in these threads:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6251-G73-Reboot-Freeze-BSOD-Issues

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8943-G73-Freezing-Crashing-Issue-WORKAROUND-FOUND

It's possible the CHKDSK completed and your system BSOD'd when the CPU went into an idle state. I recommend:

1) trying the ThrottleStop workaround discussed in the 2nd referenced thread.

2) Check the details of the "Wininit" source event in the Windows Application Event Log to confirm CHKDSK C: /F /R completed successfully while you were asleep. If not, run it again. If it did complete successfully, continue the diagnostic tests, then attempt to reproduce your unexpected reboot issue. Hopefully, the ThrottleStop workaround may help prevent this issue.

TruFloridaGator
02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Ok, fresh install Windows 7 HP 64 clean & legit (no drivers). I don't have the recovery CD, so doing drivers manually.

In the following order, thus far:

Drivers installed
Chipset
LAN
Wifi

Programs
Firefox
Java (installed for drivers dls from ASUS)
Mozbackup
Bittorent
PowerISO
Norton Ghost 15.1 30 Day Trial & got the auto restart mid install Event 41 Power Kernel. In the event viewer, shows that I had one yesterday sometime after the fresh install(never noticed) with bugcheckcode 254. Can't attach the dump file or I would

TruFloridaGator
02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Just got another Event 41 Power Kernal during AMD/ATI Catalyst installation. This time it just locked up, since I turned off the reboot in case of critical error. It did not produce a bug code.

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 07:56 PM
I always install all the essential drivers before installing any optional programs. Are you getting slow start-ups, too?

TruFloridaGator
02-21-2012, 08:03 PM
I always install all the essential drivers before installing any optional programs. Are you getting slow start-ups, too?

No slow start ups. Just got BSODed on a 2nd attempt at the ATI CCC install. I only installed the other programs that I needed access to install certain drivers & to ghost as I went along so I could back track. I guess I could have done without firefox but seems minor...

I hadn't updated BIOS/VBIOS yet...

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 08:13 PM
No slow start ups. Just got BSODed on a 2nd attempt at the ATI CCC install. I only installed the other programs that I needed access to install certain drivers & to ghost as I went along so I could back track. I guess I could have done without firefox but seems minor...

I hadn't updated BIOS/VBIOS yet...
Most computers usually need about 6-10 specific component drivers, beyond what Windows itself installs. Windows is most stable when all devices are "accounted for" and running stable drivers. I've tried the "barebones" approach that you are running, but it invariably runs into issues and I end up installing the drivers anyway.

dstrakele
02-21-2012, 08:19 PM
I recommend installing BlueScreenView from Nirsoft to examine your Mini-Dumps and obtain a) the BugCheck Code, b) the 4 Parameters, and c) the file reported as the cause of your recent BSOD's.

TruFloridaGator
02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Most computers usually need about 6-10 specific component drivers, beyond what Windows itself installs. Windows is most stable when all devices are "accounted for" and running stable drivers. I've tried the "barebones" approach that you are running, but it invariably runs into issues and I end up installing the drivers anyway.

I've installed everything but video/audio...can't install video because it keeps crashing/bsoding. I would of used the ASUS driver disc but I don't have it & all the links out there are dead.

I recommend installing BlueScreenView from Nirsoft to examine your Mini-Dumps and obtain a) the BugCheck Code, b) the 4 Parameters, and c) the file reported as the cause of your recent BSOD's.

022112-18267-01.dmp 2/21/2012 3:35:16 PM
0x00000116

fffffa80`0788d4e0
fffff880`06e078f0
00000000`00000000
00000000`00000002

dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5d000 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+80640
C:\Windows\Minidump\022112-18267-01.dmp 8 15 7601 819,672

dstrakele
02-21-2012, 09:02 PM
BugCheck 0x116 is VIDEO_TDR_ERROR and dxgkrnl.sys is a DirectX driver. DirectX is pre-installed on Windows 7. I suspect you may have some corruption in your file system. I recommend running CHKDSK C: /F /R to confirm your file system is sound.

An alternative possibility could be bad memory. If CHKDSK finds no errors and the BSOD perisists, I would check RAM by running memtest86+ for 3 passes on memory stick pairs.

What version of ATI CCC are you attempting to install? It may also be worthwhile to run a utility like ATI Crap Cleaner or Driver Sweeper to attempt to remove any ATI remnants from failed installations that may be causing problems.

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 09:13 PM
I've installed everything but video/audio...can't install video because it keeps crashing/bsoding. I would of used the ASUS driver disc but I don't have it & all the links out there are dead.
Ah, okay. I was assuming your list (below) of installed drivers was of all the ones you'd installed, so I thought you only had the chipset, WLAN, and LAN.

TruFloridaGator
02-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Ah, okay. I was assuming your list (below) of installed drivers was of all the ones you'd installed, so I thought you only had the chipset, WLAN, and LAN.

I'm still missing some stuff.

ATI Crap Cleaner finally worked, I had tried it before & then tried to install CCC, but no go. I did 2 runs this time & 2 reboots & it worked.

Still a bit concerned about those random power faults..but hopefully they won't come up now.

dstrakele
02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
The Kernal-Power EventID 41 events simply mean the system did not shut down cleanly. When you get a system lockup and have to hold down the power button to recover, it will generate this event. Hopefully, removing the ATI remnants has removed the instability from your system.

The G73JH systems also appear susceptible to lockups, BSOD's, and USB failures that result when the CPU drops down into a lower power mode C-State. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8943-G73-Freezing-Crashing-Issue-WORKAROUND-FOUND