PDA

View Full Version : G73JW-A1 / was gonna buy it but...

pdesopo
12-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi all,

I've been very impressed from the good reviews about this new laptop. My main use is about motion graphics, 3D, video apps...
I was looking around for comments and thoughts about this laptop and I found out on some forums that several people are getting serious problems with annoying freezing issues as well as some strange trouble with usb ports not working really fine.
I'd like to ask if anybody here has got problems like these and if they have been fixed.

Thanks for any info.

Chastity@ASUS
12-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Lockups on Win7 are caused by hardware and drivers. If I was to hazard a guess on the USB issue, and perhaps the lockups as well, I would think the USB 3.0. The problem with new hardware is that it may take awhile for instability issues to be corrected. The lockups may also be induced in regards to power saving modes.

On my JH I had a brief stint with this, and I corrected it by updating Power4Gear Hybrid, and restoring defaults. Probably was due to an errant registry setting that I later corrected. Hasn't happened again.

Over on NBR, I know many a happy JW owners who do not have any lockup or USB issues, so I would not hold back on getting one. If you do run into issues, there's plenty of help here.

pdesopo
12-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Lockups on Win7 are caused by hardware and drivers. If I was to hazard a guess on the USB issue, and perhaps the lockups as well, I would think the USB 3.0. The problem with new hardware is that it may take awhile for instability issues to be corrected. The lockups may also be induced in regards to power saving modes.

Yes, I've read exactly about power the saving modes and the Power4Gear issue. About the latter I'm wondering if now the latest configuration already comes with the fixed version of the Power4Gear.

If you do run into issues, there's plenty of help here.

Yes, I know. Luckily for us today we've got tons of forums and help on internet. But as customer it's something I wouldn't hope to have to relate to. When one buy a new computer the only thing s/he wants is having it working fine.

Thanks for your reply Chastity. At least it seems it should be something that could be fixed.

thereturnfc
12-30-2010, 02:07 AM
i think jw has been fix quite well upon open package, but of course there are problem u might come across eventually(i had problem with wifi[most of wifi gamers they tend to change their wifi card, but i didnt since i actually solve it])
i might say JW has less problem than JH(becuz i see all forum has alot of complaint about jh models)
so far JW models for me is good, usb no problem, I dont have over heat issue at all(well of course, it is gtx 460....not ati)

irdmoose
12-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Well, I'll throw my two cents in, I picked up a JW-XA1 on the 21st, and I haven't had a single issue with it yet regarding lockups or USB not working properly. I've been running both the Folding@ Home SMP CPU client and the GPU3 clients without any trouble for pretty much the entire time. The only thing I would recommend, if you get a single drive unit, is to get a SSD to speed up boot times and to use as a high-speed scratch drive. That's why I wanted to get a dual-drive capable laptop, and that's what I plan on doing down the line.