PDA

View Full Version : G73SW GTX 460M temperatures running up to 92'C

Devilonearth666
02-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Hey! I just needed advice on how to stop my Nvidia GPU from being fried. From what I understand, even if the safe limits have not been exceeded, the transistors may be slowly burning up due to high temperatures, but go unnoticed due to the heat being not potent enough to cause the computer to shut down or cause a fire. That is why older computers run slower than newer ones with same specs. The transistor numbers are reduced, leading to lower performance.

So, here are my questions. Is 92'C enough to gradually fry the transistors? Is it why I am suffering from lag on games where I never faced lag before? And why is it going to such high temperatures? I just bought it like 8 months ago. At first, it ran 65-72'C on load, while now it goes to 92'C? Could a driver change be helpful? If I need to change to older drivers, should I use the latest Graphics drivers listed on the ASUS support site (which, by the way, are like more than 6 months old)?

And is the Windows Experience Index a good tool to see if your graphics card is up to snuff?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help. I would really appreciate it.

THANK YOU

Devilonearth666
02-18-2012, 10:57 AM
thought I would give it a little bump. Please try and help me and answer some of my questions.

fostert
02-18-2012, 02:45 PM
92C is excessive, yes. Heat like that will certainly shorten the lifespan of the components, so your heat issue should be addressed. Sounds like a) dust/hair buildup in the cowlings or fins of the heatsink, b) old ineffective thermal paste, or c) a combination of both.
First get out your vacuum cleaner an a few cans of compressed air (or better yet go to a machine shop with a hose of air!). With the vacuum sucking from one end and a nice tight seal (say at the exhaust ports) blast the air into the intake in tight sharp bursts. Then try this from the other direction (air into exhaust, vacuum at intakes).
If this doesn't help then you may want to consider a repaste and a re-seat of your heatsink. Can be done DIY for sure, but if you're not into opening up notebooks a qualified local shop would probably do it.

And as for the WEI, its generally a good indicator: its very fussy and hard to increase without some serious overclocking or hardware upgrades, though from what I've read it doesn't exercise the gpu in all the ways a game could. I like to use the graphics benchmarks built into Passmark Performance Test (cpubenchmark.net)

Devilonearth666
02-18-2012, 03:46 PM
thanks a bunch...... quick clarification though, do i need to vacuum it first and then shoot it with compressed air?

smellons
02-18-2012, 08:30 PM
thanks a bunch...... quick clarification though, do i need to vacuum it first and then shoot it with compressed air?

Usually just some compressed air is good enough. Try to use bursts and make sure your laptop is powered off.

Also, under what situations is your GPU reaching that temperature? Furmark totally overkills my 460m up to 94 or 95C (at which point I stopped the test and never went back).

Edit: Just for clarification, under normal gaming my 460m never goes above 80C, except in some games of Starcraft 2 where it would sometimes hit 84-85C.

Devilonearth666
02-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Under normal gaming..... for example, Crysis 2 at high (prior to patch, not on the dx11 very high or high res, have those patches but they kill the fps to 20 ish) used to max at 73'C. Now, it goes to 92'C. Furmark is brutal, yes. But even on games like Bf3, it goes to 92'C whereas it used to cap at 83'C before.

One more thing, I always keep my laptop under covers when not powered on so that dust does not settle on it. I have never shot it with compressed air before. Should I be keeping it under covers? And is dusting it really gonna help?

Oh and thanks for all the input!

fostert
02-19-2012, 05:48 PM
I too cover my G74 with the cloth-paper sac it came in whenever I leave it unpowered. Protects the finish and yes, prevents dust settling on it. In the long run it'll make a big difference in the amount of dust collected in the intakes, and therefore how often I will have to open it up for maintenance and cleaning. And yes, dusting regularly *really* does help: as dust begins to build up in there, the web of dust formed will be able to trap more dust quicker, and the whole thing will build up to serious levels exponentially.

Devilonearth666
02-20-2012, 03:17 PM
thanks a bunch for all the help!

grungeboy2
02-20-2012, 06:43 PM
i used IC Diamond to repaste my GPU. max temps would peak at 102C. afterwards my max temp peaks at 89C. usually staying around 75C during most gaming sessions.

Devilonearth666
02-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Noted. IC Diamond it is when I decide to repaste.