PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice G53SX-XA1

Drock2k1
02-18-2012, 04:23 PM
So, first post here. I purchased a 53SX-XA1 a couple of days ago from an online retailer. I was initially shipped an Asus slimbook instead of my order and after exchanging it there was an additional problem with my oder...by the time it was all said and done, the retailer basically dropped the price of the unit to around $850 shipped and taxed!! Well, the unit that I finally ended up with has a problem with the left mouse click to where it is always depressed lower than the right click and when using it, it takes a bit more pressure for it to read a click and in some areas it takes a lot more pressure. It may not seem like much but it is immediately noticeable as soon as you start to use it. So here is my question.

Should I just exchange it for the same model or possibly lose the discount and find something with a 1.5 560m or 460m. I most certainly won't send it in to Asus after reading many of the stories about their support so that option is out.

I appreciate any advice that you have.

BrodyBoy
02-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Should I just exchange it for the same model or possibly lose the discount and find something with a 1.5 560m or 460m. I most certainly won't send it in to Asus after reading many of the stories about their support so that option is out.

I appreciate any advice that you have.
It sounds like one of the button assembly screws is very loose, or missing. If you are comfortable trying to access if from behind and fixing it, you could try that. (If the screw is missing, you'll have a hard time finding a replacement that fits unless you work on laptops a lot and have these kinds of things laying around.)

If you don't want to try and fix it yourself, your only two options are to RMA it for repair, or to return it for a different one. I wouldn't be too afraid to RMA it, as this should be an easy repair.....even for Asus. ;)

Drock2k1
02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Would fixing this on my own void the warranty? I am a manager at a University IT department so there is a good chance that I would have a screw that would fit.

dstrakele
02-18-2012, 11:26 PM
You should be okay as long as you don't damage anything on your repair attempt or remove any yellow stickers. Check out this G53 disassembly guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdQi2GMQRu8

Drock2k1
02-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks guys...or girls. FWIW, I know that this has the "gimped" video card but I can consistently draw 40-55 fps on SWTOR with settings at high except shadows and anti aliasing on low. I have been a fan so far. I may just end up keeping it. If not I may just sell it and try to get one with the 460m which I'm sure I will end up having second thoughts about after I do it. :)

dstrakele
02-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, who was your retailer?

Drock2k1
02-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Amazon was the retailer

dstrakele
02-19-2012, 01:02 AM
You could always ask them if they will allow an exchange for no additional $$. Amazon is usually pretty good about issues like that. After all, they did mess up your order, then sent you a defective unit... I think they should make it right for you at their expense.