PDA

View Full Version : Question about G501JW SSD (fails to boot)

MaxEvans
03-22-2019, 06:02 PM
So, something caused my laptop to not boot up anymore. In the BIOS, it detects the SSD, gives me the serial number and all those details, so I know it's there. Normally doesn't show up in the boot order, however, in legacy mode, it shows up in the boot order, but still says to insert a proper boot device. So, from there, I used a Windows 10 USB stick to try to boot into setup to use chkdsk, and it boots from the USB drive fine and goes to load, but after it loads and should open the setup, it reboots. And it just cycles.

Now, I know how HDD failures work. I have never had an SSD until this laptop. And since I know how flash memory works, and it's the same concept, I'm thinking my SSD has failed? I'm not entirely sure, which is why I'm posting here.

Basically, is this an SSD failure, and if so, what are the best SSD replacement options?

MaxEvans
03-24-2019, 06:50 AM
Okay, after more troubleshooting and testing, I've discovered it is that the SSD failed. After removing the SSD, I booted the laptop with the Windows 10 USB, and the setup came up, which wouldn't happen with the SSD in the slot.