PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-AH71 vs G74SX-DH72

LottyDotty
02-19-2012, 07:18 PM
I am looking to get a new laptop and I am deciding between the G74SX-AH71 and the G74SX-DH72.

It appears to me that the only difference between the two is the 160GB SSD... the price difference is:

$1,991.99 - $1,384.99 = $607

So my question is: Can I add a SSD to the G74SX-AH71 without too much trouble?... and wouldn't that make more sense to do vs paying $607 more for the SSD already installed which is not the top of the line? .. for instance adding this one for $290?...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z0S6S4/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

This is my first PC upgrade in several years so I am new to SSD...so I just wanted to make sure my logic was correct..

Thanks

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 07:27 PM
So my question is: Can I add a SSD to the G74SX-AH71 without too much trouble?... and wouldn't that make more sense to do vs paying $607 more for the SSD already installed which is not the top of the line? .. for instance adding this one for $290?...
Yes, it's very easy to upgrade to an SSD in the G74....many of us have done it. Is that really what they're charging for the SSD option??? Amazing.....

You don't need a big SSD as long as you save all your user data over on the other drive. Anything about 80Gb or more should be plenty, so you could probably save even more money and find a good one at $200 or less.

Nirneath
02-19-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure that it's only the SSD that is the difference between the two, DH72 is way too expensive... I would guess that the AH-71 have a glossy screen, sadly Amazon doesn't want to reveal that :P
because with 600$, you could buy three 120g SSD's... that's an insane price difference, something seems fishy :-/

LottyDotty
02-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Any way to find?

Maybe it's a $400 intallation charge lol..it's not all too uncommon for companies to do stuff like that to try to make some extra money... for instance, at walmart I have noticed that often times bulk items cost more per unit than smaller sized items... most people assume it's cheaper in bulk and just buy it.. it's their way to profit off of the uneducated and lazy, lol..

However, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something..

Here are the two links I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G74SX-AH71-17-3-Inch-Gaming/dp/B005UUS6MO

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G74SX-DH72-17-3-Inch-Gaming/dp/B005PAJICG

I'm not sure that it's only the SSD that is the difference between the two, DH72 is way too expensive... I would guess that the AH-71 have a glossy screen, sadly Amazon doesn't want to reveal that :P
because with 600$, you could buy three 120g SSD's... that's an insane price difference, something seems fishy :-/

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 07:40 PM
I just took a quick look at the specs for the two configs (as listed on Amazon, which isn't always 100% accurate). Amazon doesn't make choices about what to reveal.....they simply list the specs as they have them. I doubt there's a screen difference, as I don't believe there's a standard matte screen offering from Asus.

I noticed that there's no spec for the ODD in either listing. I strongly suspect they may differ in that as well....with the DH72 having either a BD player or player/burner, and the AH71 having the regular combo drive. The rirce difference is just too much for only an SSD (considering that it's not even "replacing" a 2nd drive, which the AH71 doesn't appear to have.)

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Any way to find?

Maybe it's a $400 intallation charge lol..it's not all too uncommon for companies to do stuff like that to try to make some extra money... for instance, at walmart I have noticed that often times bulk items cost more per unit than smaller sized items... most people assume it's cheaper in bulk and just buy it.. it's their way to profit off of the uneducated and lazy, lol..
No installation charge, since these are manufacturer configurations. Amazon doesn't sell their own custom configurations.

Again, from the listings, I suspect it's the SSD and the ODD.

EDIT: Just found another listing for the DH72....it does have the BD ODD (player, not burner). And any G74 configuration I've seen so far below about $1400 has the combo ODD, so even though I can't find another listing to confirm, I'm about 99% sure the AH71 has a combo drive.

The price difference, then, starts to make sense. They overcharge for the SSD...let's say about $400...and the BD upgrade usually adds around $200 (which is also overpriced!).

LottyDotty
02-19-2012, 07:59 PM
I was just joking about an installation charge haha...

I think you may be correct about the SSD and ODD... the G74SX-DH72 does mention blueray in the description:

Blu-ray-enabled DVD RW/CD-RW.

where the G74SX-AH71 only has:

DL DVD±RW/CD-RW

... Blue-ray would be nice, but I don't think it would be worth that much extra cost right now...

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 08:04 PM

I think you may be correct about the SSD and ODD... the G74SX-DH72 does mention blueray in the description:

DL DVD±RW/CD-RW

... Blue-ray would be nice, but I don't think it would be worth that much extra cost right now...
The AH71 looks like a great deal to me, especially for someone who intends to add an SSD. You get the faster processor, maxed RAM, and FULL HD, without having to pay for a 2nd HDD you don't intend to use. And if you ever want to upgrade the ODD, it's a very easy upgrade for much less than Asus charges.

Nirneath
02-19-2012, 08:10 PM
I doubt there's a screen difference, as I don't believe there's a standard matte screen offering from Asus.

Are you sure that Asus doesn't offer matte screens? I've seen several G74sx that included SSDs with matte screens, infact, almost all of them were matte. It was however in Swedish stores, maybe it's different in US...

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Are you sure that Asus doesn't offer matte screens? I've seen several G74sx that included SSDs with matte screens, infact, almost all of them were matte. It was however in Swedish stores, maybe it's different in US...
I think the 3D screens may be matte, but not the regular 2D display panels. (That's what I meant by "standard.") The offerings may well be different in other regions....I don't know. Since the OP was referencing U.S. Amazon sites, I assumed we were dealing with the G74 configurations offered here.

Nirneath
02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I think the 3D screens may be matte, but not the regular 2D display panels. (That's what I meant by "standard.") The offerings may well be different in other regions....I don't know. Since the OP was referencing U.S. Amazon sites, I assumed we were dealing with the G74 configurations offered here.

Then I stand corrected, forgot to mention that the ones that included a SSD also had a 3D screen, that might be why they were matte :)

LottyDotty
02-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Also looks like the G74SX-DH72 comes with a 2 year global warranty where the G74SX-AH71 only has a 1 year global warranty..

LottyDotty
02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
The G74SX-AH71 still seems like the best deal for me.. one bad ass laptop for relatively cheap...

Anybody have any complaints against the G74SX-AH71?.. on amazon I see a few complaints about the asus customer service and a few hardware issues out of the box...

BrodyBoy
02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
The G74SX-AH71 still seems like the best deal for me.. one bad ass laptop for relatively cheap...

Anybody have any complaints against the G74SX-AH71?.. on amazon I see a few complaints about the asus customer service and a few hardware issues out of the box...
Just browse around this forum. The hardware issues are common to all G74s, not just the AH71. And Asus customer service and support is universally poor for all its products. All of these things are discussed a lot around here.

The key is buying from a retailer like Amazon, who will take the laptop back for any reason within 30 days. If it has any of these issues, just return it and get a different one.

LottyDotty
02-19-2012, 09:02 PM
gotcha...

Thanks for all of the great info.. I can't wait to get this computer!... I might have to start gaming again, haha!

fostert
02-20-2012, 02:31 PM
No installation charge, since these are manufacturer configurations. Amazon doesn't sell their own custom configurations.
The price difference, then, starts to make sense. They overcharge for the SSD...let's say about $400...and the BD upgrade usually adds around $200 (which is also overpriced!).

Wouldn't a barebones option be nice...buy a G74 w/o HDD, SSD, OD, RAM or even CPU (and GPU if it wasn't permanently soldered onto the mainboard) and let the user configure it by themselves. Probably not a great option for 80% of the notebook-buying world, but obviously one could save a bundle.

Has anyone tried just looking up OEM prices for all the G74 parts and summing? I wonder if it would be a bargain...

dogla
02-21-2012, 02:29 PM
I think the DH71 also has a ROG Backpack and ROG mouse included. But I still bought the AH71 also......and added an SSD afterwards. A BD player/burner I can always get also...

Wolfwalker
03-31-2012, 01:53 PM

DL DVD±RW/CD-RW

I have the ah71 and it does not have blu-ray, and no ssd. comes with glossy screen, 750gb 7200rpm hdd and can add another. It has 16g ram and I couldn't justify the extra cash when I can buy a bluray burner for about 115-140.00 and a ssd for 200 or so...

jclark65
03-31-2012, 08:02 PM
I have the AH71 also, just got it from Amazon... Great deal.