PDA

View Full Version : G53 SX Power jack - LOOSE PART - Help, please!

Phate18
02-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Hello!

Just now, when I pulled out the power jack out of my G53 SX A1, it started wildly changing from AC mode to battery mode and when I looked at the power jack (the cable part), it contained a golden piece of metal, kind of bullet-shaped. It's just stuck in it and it won't charge, as one would expect when a part comes loose from the port.

Any ideas on what I should do? Can I have this repaired somewhere, replaced, RMA'd, anything else?

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate your help!

EDIT: After RMA, backlit keyboard no longer backlit and illumination control keys (F3 F4) no longer work. Any solutions? Thanks!

fuzon1337
02-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi there

This sounds like the power pin that is on the MB is stuck inside the charger.
The best you can do is to RMA your notebook. Call the Asus Support in your country and start a case.
If I'm not wrong this is covered by your warranty to get it fixed.

How old is your notebook?

Phate18
02-19-2012, 11:59 PM
That would be wonderful if it was RMA-able! I'll only be staying in this country (UK) for about a month and it was purchased in the States, is that a problem?

It was bought in September 2011, so it should still be covered, I think.

fuzon1337
02-20-2012, 12:12 AM
As far as I know, all notebooks from Asus have 2 years warranty :) (unless you have bought a refurbished notebook, that gives 1 year warranty instead)

But how it would be with RMA your situation in another country when you bought it in the states, I don't know.
Perhaps one of the members here know how that works :)

BrodyBoy
02-20-2012, 02:20 AM
That's definitely something that will be covered under warranty. It's really frustrating to see how often this seems to happen with G53s....I wonder if the assembling factory is just using a crappy DC jack.

Anyway, if you bought it in the U.S., you should have the "Asus 360" (http://completewarranty.asus.com/Content/US/360/360.aspx) international warranty coverage, as well as "Asus ADP," (http://completewarranty.asus.com/Content/US/ADP/adp.aspx) one year accidental damage coverage, both with free shipping. (Note that units purchased from certain retailers, like BB and Staples, are excluded.).

They claim that they aim for 3-day turnaround on damage repair, so hopefully, you can get a quick fix at an Asus service center there in the U.K. But considering that you're only going to be there for a month, you should try to get some assurance that you'll get it back before you leave.

Phate18
02-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks a lot, I got my RMA number and they say it takes 7 days at most. How about the hardware mods that the reseller installed? The SSD, keyboard lighting etc., will they be left as they are? And will they do anything to my system, or anything software wise at all? Thanks!

fuzon1337
02-20-2012, 01:51 PM
They will replace your MB (I think) so your system will be as good as new!

If you would run into any issues after the RMA let us know, and we will help you out :)

And since you have the oppertunity to do some modification on these laptops, I don't think they would do anything with it :)

Phate18
02-20-2012, 02:04 PM
That's a relief... but they probably won't need to touch my second drive, i.e. the HDD with all my data, right? They'll just wipe the boot drive after installing a new motherboard?

Thanks for the replies, it's calmed me down a bit from my original state of sheer, primeval panic :D

BrodyBoy
02-20-2012, 07:02 PM
I would remove your data drive, just to keep it safe. I don't believe they would do anything to it, but if you have important data on it, no point in risking it through shipping, major laptop surgery, and then more shipping.

If you happen to have another laptop hard drive you can pop in there, I'd keep your SSD at home as well. In fact, I'd remove the SSD even if you don't have one to substitute it with.....they're not doing a configuration/software fix, so they don't need it. Just keep your drives at home.

Phate18
02-20-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't have the necessary tools to do that, let alone the knowledge... :( In fact, I have no tools and no knowledge of electronics.

I'm not worried about the data (it's all backed up externally, or at least the important stuff), it's the actual disks I'm worried about. They wouldn't take them or replace them, would they?

BrodyBoy
02-20-2012, 11:05 PM
I don't have the necessary tools to do that, let alone the knowledge... :( In fact, I have no tools and no knowledge of electronics.

I'm not worried about the data (it's all backed up externally, or at least the important stuff), it's the actual disks I'm worried about. They wouldn't take them or replace them, would they?
No, they won't confiscate or replace them. But I think they do routinely perform a factory restore on the boot drive. Since this is just a hardware repair, and they're not messing with software, perhaps you could include a note asking them to not do that unless it's absolutely necessary.

Phate18
02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Update: The laptop came back from RMA in about 7 days, they replaced the motherboard and charging works fine now.

However, the keyboard is no longer illuminated and the F3 and F4 keys don't work anymore (in regards to increasing/decreasing the luminosity of keyboard lighting). All other F-key functions seem to work. Any idea why this might have happened? Thanks!

BrodyBoy
02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Update: The laptop came back from RMA in about 7 days, they replaced the motherboard and charging works fine now.

However, the keyboard is no longer illuminated and the F3 and F4 keys don't work anymore (in regards to increasing/decreasing the luminosity of keyboard lighting). All other F-key functions seem to work. Any idea why this might have happened? Thanks!
Did they do a factory restore on your software installation?

Try a repair installation of the ATK package.

Phate18
02-28-2012, 06:06 PM
No, the system is just the way it was when I sent it off, I included a note asking them not to wipe my drives unless completely necessary.

Do you mean this http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100014.zip ?

BrodyBoy
02-28-2012, 06:11 PM
No, the system is just the way it was when I sent it off, I included a note asking them not to wipe my drives unless completely necessary.

Do you mean this http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100014.zip ?
Yes, that's the latest ATK Package that's usually recommended for the most recent G-series.

If you are not using that one already, un-install the current ATK Package and reboot before you install the new one.

If you already have v.1.0.0014 installed, you do a repair installation in Control Panel.

Phate18
02-28-2012, 06:15 PM
I installed v 14 and rebooted, but the issue persists. I also installed the KB filter driver recommended in the driver thread, but I don't think that has anything to do with keyboard backlighting.

Any other possible cause?

dstrakele
02-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Does the keyboard illuminate briefly when you boot the system? It should flash. If it doesn't, try entering the BIOS (press F2 at the ASUS splash screen) then Load Optimized Defaults (F9) and Save & Exit.

If that fails, unplug the notebook and remove the power adapter and battery and any attached peripherals (mouse, USB HDD, USB keyboard). Press the Power On button and hold for 30 seconds. Then attach the power adapter, plug in, and boot the system.

If this fails, the power cable to the keyboard backlights may be disconnected, not connected properly, or is faulty. My guess is they forgot to connect the keyboard backlight cable after replacing your motherboard (or accidently damaged the cable connector when removing it).

Phate18
02-28-2012, 06:19 PM
No, I remember it doing that before the RMA. Now it doesn't.

dstrakele
02-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Try the recommendations I added to my previous post. I think they have a low probability of success, but it's worth eliminating any possibilities before you disassemble the laptop or send it back in RMA.

The backlights MUST flash briefly at bootup - even if they are disabled in Windows.

Phate18
02-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Okay, thanks! I'll give those a go.

Although, if it was simply the case that there is no power coming to the lights, wouldn't the system still show the icon when I press the lighting bbuttons (F3 F4) ? Wouldn't it still try to regulate it, even though there'd of course be no change in the lights?

dstrakele
02-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Does using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time BEFORE the RMA change behavior?

As @fostert will confirm, the keyboard backlights will flash on bootup into Linux, so I believe you have a problem beyond what you can fix in Windows. But I could be wrong.....

BrodyBoy
02-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Okay, thanks! I'll give those a go.

Although, if it was simply the case that there is no power coming to the lights, wouldn't the system still show the icon when I press the lighting bbuttons (F3 F4) ? Wouldn't it still try to regulate it, even though there'd of course be no change in the lights?
That's a great point. You would think so....

I'm guessing that, every time you boot, the BIOS detects whether the keyboard power connector is in use. (Just like it scans for things like attached SATA, USB, and other devices.) Perhaps the ATK driver then uses that information in determining which functions to initiate.

It's almost unfortunate, if this is the case, as the presence of the ATK on-screen display for keyboard light controls could otherwise be a good diagnostic for whether this was a power or ATK problem. As it is, the absence of the keyboard flash at boot almost certainly suggests that the power cable is detached or improperly attached.

It's unbelievable, since these are supposed to be the "expert" Asus techs.....but it seems an awful lot of RMA'd laptops are coming back without keyboard lights.

Phate18
02-28-2012, 08:50 PM
The boot tricks didn't have any effect, it probably is a problem with the power cable.

I was really excited to have it back today, only to realise I'm going to have to send it back for repairs because of such a minor screw-up. Infuriating!

Is this a common thing with laptops coming back from RMA? Perhaps there's room for improvement, there... I mean, I would have expected had I RMA'd it in the Czech Republic, but not here in the UK :D

giaconep
05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
I just had the same problem and guess what?
ASUS Brazil told that they cant help me, and that i should go to a technical assistance of my trust and pay for the job myself...
I cant believe that i paid for a "global" warranty (which is built-in in the final price) so i could take my PC back to Brazil and enjoy the "pc of my dreams"...
I thought u guys were better than this... I just feel sorry for all my friends that asked me to help them to pick up a notebook in the internet and I foolish recommend them to buy one of your products...
You have to at least make sure that your company can do something in the seventh economy in the world before saying that you offer a "global" warranty...
I'll never recommend our buy a notebook from ASUS again, i feel stupid now with my ASUS backpack...
and I hope you guys do something about your service in Brazil... I can't understand why are you guys spending money in a useless business unit in here... is like using a broken refrigerator to store food, it sucks, smells bad and you are still paying the all bills!

And if you are thinking about getting a G53 and you were smart the enough to do some research on the internet, think twice my friend...

BrodyBoy
05-21-2012, 07:13 PM
I thought u guys were better than this... I just feel sorry for all my friends that asked me to help them to pick up a notebook in the internet and I foolish recommend them to buy one of your products...
I'm really disappointed in Asus for the terrible service you've gotten, giaconep....your anger is quite justified. But there's no need to re-post in multiple threads around the forum. (Which is a users' forum, by the way. When you say "u guys" and "your products", you're actually talking to other owners here, not Asus.)