PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade BIOS on a G74sx-ah71

Tear_a_Bee
02-20-2012, 05:48 PM
How exactly do I upgrade my BIOS and how do I check if i need to please help.

BrodyBoy
02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Here's a downloadable .pdf guide. In the first part, you'll see what the currently-installed BIOS is....if it's v203, you don't need to update it.

Updating the G74SX BIOS Using EasyFlash
(http://www.mediafire.com/?6p4s6z6dnv8zdsf)
(Sorry for the annoying ads on MediaFire....I haven't found a better option yet. :()

Tear_a_Bee
02-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the quick response BrodyBoy. Just one more question, what does a new BIOS give you? New features or something?

BrodyBoy
02-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the quick response BrodyBoy. Just one more question, what does a new BIOS give you? New features or something?
No, BIOS updates are seldom about features....they're usually bug fixes. The common advice is "don't update the BIOS unless you are experiencing issues addressed by the update." But the Catch-22 is that they seldom explain exactly what the update fixes! On the G74, the latest BIOS seems to address some keyboard issues and the the numlock issue.

I prefer to keep my BIOSes updated. Though there is always a chance of a failed BIOS flash, carefully following the instructions to do it with EasyFlash is very safe, and the risk of failure is very low.

But the choice is entirely yours. If your machine is running just fine the way it is, you don't HAVE to update.

dstrakele
02-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Here's a downloadable .pdf guide. In the first part, you'll see what the currently-installed BIOS is....if it's v203, you don't need to update it.

Updating the G74SX BIOS Using EasyFlash (http://www.mediafire.com/?o4olxc8u12rnf9b)

That's a very nice illustrated guide, Brody! When I think of all the wailing and gnashing of teeth from failed BIOS flashes in the past that could've been saved from reading such a guide, it brings tears to my eyes.... well, not really.... but it still is an excellent guide!

BrodyBoy
02-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks....it was all those same tales of woe that prompted me to write it! :)

dstrakele
02-20-2012, 11:31 PM
I think that guide should be built into the EasyFlash utility. When you launch it, it displays "Have you ever used EasyFlash to flash a new BIOS before?" If you answer "No" it displays the guide and requires you to check a checkbox acknowledging you've read it before you can proceed further.

fostert
02-21-2012, 01:41 AM
How exactly do I upgrade my BIOS and how do I check if i need to please help.
@Tear_a_Bee
It bears repeating: do not do this from Windows using Winflash or any other utility that runs from an OS! Use easyflas as Brody's guide sez...all will be well.

ColonelS
02-21-2012, 02:44 AM
nice one brody.

ColonelS
02-21-2012, 02:55 AM
to you brody!

sticky thread regarding your awesome pdf guide to update G74SX

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11080-BrodyBoy-guide-on-quot-Updating-The-G74SX-BIOS-with-EazyFlash-quot