PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan - Incoming sound leaks into mic

kennethbj
02-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey,

I've got a problem with my Asus Vulcan ANC, it seems incoming sound is leaking into my mic. Like if i'm talking to people on Teamspeak or Skype, they can hear themselves constantly, and it's not from the speakers in the earcups. I've even upgraded my soundcard to a ASUS Xonar STX just to make sure it wasn't my on-board soundcard being retarded.

I've tried just about everything in terms of settings, and i've quite frankly now run out of ideas.

Anyone experienced this or have some feedback?

BaronVonDinosaur
06-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Just bought myself a Vulcan yesterday. I'm pleased with the quality of the audio and the noise cancellation.
However I'm getting the same problem as the OP. My friends on skype can hear everything I'm doing, whether it's listening to music or playing Battlefield. I've been mucking around in my recording settings but nothing seems to fix it.
The _really_ annoying part is that using the MUTE button on the wire of the headset doesn't even help. It doesn't seem to completely mute the microphone. Which seems like a glaring oversight. :(
So 2 problems in one I guess.

Hope a mod or someone from ASUS can help us out.

BaronVonDinosaur
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
I just did some more testing and I found out the problems are related, as far as I can tell anyway.
The audio leakage slowly creeps in but only when I _use_ the mute button on the headset's wire.
The microphone actually works perfectly, conveying my voice very well (as my friends tell me).
However when I mute my mic (with the button on the wire), 'cause I want to watch a video or something, they start hearing the sound of the video after about 10-15 seconds, at first very quietly but then much louder.

If anyone has similar experiences, please share so we can figure this out.

Majogu
06-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Hey,

In case you haven't tried this allready:
Does it make a difference with the ANC on/off ? (I was thinking that maybe the internal microphones for the ANC system do something they're not supposed to.)
Does it also happen with the external microphone removed ?

Natron212
08-09-2012, 06:25 AM
My mic is also picking up game play sounds. When I play DayZ especially anyone online with me in Skype can hear my footsteps and everything. Love the headset except this. Happens even at low volume with and without ANC on. Might have to try a different headset if i can't get it solved. Love the headset except this one annoying thing! messed with a lot of the mic levels...

PhantomPhreak
08-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Hello, I seem to have some simular issues I get feed back nose when the mic is on or off not picking up my voice during testing and setup but if I tap the mic the sound meter maxes out. So it works but not like it should. I trired everything I could think of in windows X-fi settings and nothing works but muting the mic. I don't know what to do at this point I love the headsets I have 2. Any advive would be greatful thansk in advance

noxidc
09-01-2012, 09:49 AM
I have just bought a pair of these today and am experiencing the same issue,
any sound coming though the headphones gets recorded. i can even unplug the detachable mic and it STILL records the sound being played by the headphones. i took them back and they replaced them with a new pair. and i have the same issue. not sure what to do now?! if i cant get a refund or some fix then they way as well go in the bin

Cakeaholic
09-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Is there any solution to this problem? I just got this headset aswell, and immediately after starting a skype conversation with some friends, they all told me they could hear my music and or something i was watching on youtube. I have no idea what to do to fix this.

Cakeaholic
09-14-2012, 07:59 PM
^ Bump. I would really appreciate some kind of solution to this, or even just a tip or two..

Sammy
11-04-2012, 03:06 PM
I am in the same boat also! My friends hear my music / game sounds. And I can also hear myself as soon as I run any applications that utilize the mic. Even when I just go to the sound recording properties it suddenly makes my mic transmit feedback into the headset. Just the same as when you tick the "listen to this device" under sound/recording/microphone - properties/listen.

:/ what to do Asus ?

ItsDanK
11-08-2012, 12:27 AM
I have yet to experience this on the Vulcan's I was testing although I'll try and reach the development team for comment.

Sammy
11-20-2012, 11:45 AM
I have yet to experience this on the Vulcan's I was testing although I'll try and reach the development team for comment.

That would be great man, have you heard anything yet ?

Sammy
12-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Still waiting for your reply mr Dank..

I am currently not too happy with this headset and will tell my friends who are considering buying this, not to buy it. This is very unfortunate for everyone, because the product is very good overall if you look past the very devastating flaw of the sound leakage. If you guys can fix this by software I am willing to wait for that, but if it is hardware related, well then I will look to other headset manufacturers.

Thank you, have a nice day.

-Sam

crea
12-20-2012, 12:28 PM
same problem.

dazza
12-22-2012, 10:51 AM
i have exactly the same issue, even with the mic muted, is this just a dud batch ? wouldnt of this been tested ? not happy tbh, i have the phebus soundcard coming on the 24th, and reading some of the problems thats got, doesnt bode well :(

dazza
12-22-2012, 10:48 PM
okay tried all day to sort this out, with zero luck, trolling the net for solutions came back with nothing, formatting my drive and re-installing everything came back with nothing, trying on board sound and soundcard both seperately came back with nothing, new drivers, old drivers, same thing.

so what can we summize by all this.....asus rog make a prototype called asus rog vulcan anc, they dont fully test it but put it out on the market and see what happens, then us idiots buy it, report issues, get ignored for ten months, then release there asus rog vulcan pro anc.

what sort of support is it when it takes 9 months for a moderator to report a problem ? and thats if he even reported it, because he hasnt been back since ....................................

crea
12-23-2012, 11:40 PM
okay tried all day to sort this out, with zero luck, trolling the net for solutions came back with nothing, formatting my drive and re-installing everything came back with nothing, trying on board sound and soundcard both seperately came back with nothing, new drivers, old drivers, same thing.

so what can we summize by all this.....asus rog make a prototype called asus rog vulcan anc, they dont fully test it but put it out on the market and see what happens, then us idiots buy it, report issues, get ignored for ten months, then release there asus rog vulcan pro anc.

what sort of support is it when it takes 9 months for a moderator to report a problem ? and thats if he even reported it, because he hasnt been back since ....................................

no,i have the pro version and this model have the exact same problem. +1 for the rest of your reply.
Edit:btw this thread has 2448 views,i'm about to ask for a refund.

dazza
12-29-2012, 08:26 PM
well ive sort of fixed mine, cover one side of the mic with blutac, dont run the dolby, xear surround, enviromental effects or anything else. then go on teamspeak or whatever you use and play some music and keep moving the volume up until you start to get feedback, then just reduce it until you dont. thats the only way ive managed to get mine to work, also make sure you have no mic boost, this has worked for the last couple of days, until monday when i take them back for a refund. **** support on this forum tbh, i know its been around xmas time but jeez, way to sell your products meh.

Sammy
01-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Hey dazza and crea

Sorry to hear you have the same problems..
I too have the vulcan pro anc so the problem lies with both models. Asus f#cked up on this one. No more asus rog products on me, that is for sure. I mean if they even took a serious effort to find out what's wrong that would have made it better. It would show that they care about their reputation and have some dignity in what they do. But no no, cash is king.

Last chance to redeem yourselves Asus..

crea
01-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Hey dazza and crea

Sorry to hear you have the same problems..
I too have the vulcan pro anc so the problem lies with both models. Asus f#cked up on this one. No more asus rog products on me, that is for sure. I mean if they even took a serious effort to find out what's wrong that would have made it better. It would show that they care about their reputation and have some dignity in what they do. But no no, cash is king.

Last chance to redeem yourselves Asus..

not going to happen bro,the problem is a hardware problem so don't expect a driver fix,just call them and ask for a refund.
Best Regards
crea.

Tassy
02-09-2013, 10:05 PM
hey guys I have same issues as you with the Phoebus Card
These are two threads of mine
http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?136-Xonar-Phoebus-and-ROG-ThunderFX you may get some ideas reading there. I know just how frustrating it is.
Not having AEC built into these top end cards is a HUGE negative in my book.
Specially when the onboard sound chips on my Maximus Formula has it.

I know mine is a sound card v your headphones, but I use a Steel-series Pro Gamer H7, an have exact same issue.
Yet if I use onboard sound, on the Maximus I just turn on AEC an instantly issue is gone.
I was even considering buying into a RoC headset, but no way in hell now, I have enough issues with gear not working to spec. lol

Hagge
04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Agree, I just returned my Asus Vulcan for a new one, and the new one got the exact same problem, dosen't matter which setting I use.. The problem still exists..

MelliMell
08-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I have a 90-YAHI9180-UA00- Asus Orion PRO ROG Gaming Headset, I have had this headset for about 6 month and I have nothing but problems with leaking noise in Skype and TeamSpeak. I think when this headset and others in the range were designed they had not taken into consideration the leaking of sound into the mic in software such as the above (bad oversight). I have looked at all the threads some of which are nearly a year old without any replies from Asus support??? why because there is no fix therefore we have an expensive headset that does not do what says on the tin. I had a windows headset for 25 the sound wasn't great but I had no problems with leaking noise maybe I will try and find a better designed headset from a company that will support a problem rather than pretend it doesn't exist.

damn you ASUS

BEHEMUUS
12-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Hello,

I wanted to buy the Asus Vulcan PRO but after reading all the issues that they have i am starting to have some doubts.
I find this solution but i cant try, its in this link http://www.pcgameware.co.uk/reviews/headsets/asus-vulcan-pro-review/ , and in the middle of the page under "Hardware Installation" they talk that the problem was caused by the sidetone settings.

Can anyone try this too see if it works.
Thanks.

maze1980
01-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Well, it seems to me that two things are mixed in this thread.
a) Incoming sound leaks into mic
And I have this effect, too: I remove (unplug) the microphone from the headset, and play audio on my headset. This audio is sent back over the microphone wire into the PC. It's a weak signal, but loud enough to be properly recorded by the soundcard. If you use AGC (automatic gain control) then the PC will try to adjust the recoding level and you have a perfect echo.
-> Turn off AGC (and then replace the headset by a working model, this is a clear defect)
Another issue might be that your mic isn't properly inserted or defective, and would deliver only a weak signal. If so, fix your mic. Otherwise the weak signal mentioned above will ruin the experience for your chat partner.
b) Hearing yourself speaking:
That's the sidetone "feature" of windows, and it can be switched off.

Bloodwish
02-23-2014, 12:47 AM
Hello,
I have also same issue. I tried all choices of options but nothing helped me. I also tried to disconnect a ROG Spitfire and connect connectors to my sound card and it had a little effect but it didn't solve this problem completely (leaking sound is lower but still exist). It is probably really hardware problem from manufacture and we do nothing. :/ My only one "solution" is to reduce sound volume to 5-10% of game/music/video and person at oposite side shouldn't hear nothing (I tested it with playing WoW or Guild Wars 2 + TeamSpeak or Skype).
We bought fine designed headset but with unpleasant defect from manufacture. :/

guilhermehps
02-27-2014, 06:04 AM
Hello,
I have a Vulcan PRO and have the same problem. I made a lot of tests with/without spitfire and with/without the microphone plugged in and even without the microphone the audio leaks into so my friends on skype can hear the music/game I am listening.
The mute button on cable don't help, muted or not the audio still leaks and it is possible to listen the audio.
Anyone had luck and fixed this issue?
I should try to order a new pair of headsets from asus?

guilhermehps
03-21-2014, 05:57 AM
Hello again,

I claimed the warranty and receive a new headset and this one still have the same problem =(
ASUS you should do something about it, these are high-end gaming headset and the just don't work.

Waggyman101
05-06-2014, 06:48 PM
HEY I HAVE FINALY FOUND THE ANSWER! I Use this software called HDVDeck which on there i went onto microphone. on the slider option which says speaker output put that fully down and it works. my friends have told me its working and i can hear its working so try it now! i got the software with my computer but i've been told you can get it on the internet! ill put a link

http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

Poochienator
12-27-2014, 11:30 AM
I've found the solution! Go to Control Panel -> Sound -> Right click on the symbole for ROG Spitfire, choose Properties, go to Levels and set Side Tone to 0. !

acidwise
10-25-2017, 12:29 PM
My ASUS ROG Orion Pro with the Spitfire USB soundcard was suffering from the same issue: playback leakage to the microphone. I have investigated and solved the problem, which appeared to be hardware-based. The fix is described in my post at tomsguide (http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2299135/fixes-work-sound-plays-microphone.html) . It takes only about 10 minutes and requires some basic soldering skills.

I am resurrecting this topic in order to call for attention of Asus engineers, since even newer products suffer seemingly from the very same issue. One example is Xonar U7 MKII, recently reported here (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3514559/mic-picks-alot-sounds-leaking.html).

To understand the problem, let's take a look at schematics the audio output of the soundcard (see attachment). When the soundcard produces signal, a current flows from R and L terminals through the headphones and back to the analog ground (dashed) and further to the digital ground (triangle), as the current should end up at one of the power supply terminals. The analog ground is connected with the digital ground via the SMD inductor L1, which is not perfect: it has some ~0.5 Ohm resistance. Any current through the headphones will cause a voltage drop at the L1, which is picked up by the microphone amplifier via R2. I still do not understand why the leakage occurs even when the microphone is plugged in: the connection should break up by the TRS jack design. My guess is parasitic currents due to long traces and relatively dense PCB layout. The actual purpose of this circuit (long wire from the mic to analog ground) is also not clear to me. The overload protection (not shown here) is relevant only for the headphones. I would appreciate a comment form the engineering team.

Korth
10-25-2017, 12:46 PM
... it's not from the speakers in the earcups ...
Have you tried using different a headset to be sure of this?